1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help I get a error when I try to copy a movie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ddddub, Nov 16, 2004.

1. ddddub

ddddub Member

Hi I'm new here and need you guys HELP! I have a pentium 3 1gig processor, 40 gig hard drive, liteon 16x
    dvd writer, and a comp usa 16x dvd rom. My software is 1 click dvd and dvd43free. which I downloaded both online. My media is 8x dvdr (dual Layer) which I got at a computer show (they said it was the best out).(25dvds for $18)

The 1click dvd is a trial version. When I try to backup my dvd movie. The movie is over 6 gigs so the software compresses it. Then starts to write after 2hours or so, it gives me an error when it trys to finalize at the end of writing. I tried to play the movie and it copied all but the last 15 minutes. then it freezes. I tried it with the 8x(dual layer media and the liteon single layer that came with the burner)both failed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dddud, welcome to aD,

I fear someone has led you down the Garden path -

DL (Dual Layer) discs sell for, on the average $10.00 a disc. Recently I've heard of them on sale for as cheap as $6.00 a disc BUT for the price of $1.38ea, I feel you don't have Dual Layered discs for if you did, the guy who sold them to you would have been sold out in seconds.
    Use DVD identifier to see what you have -

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Pete

3. ddddub

ddddub Member

thanks your right its single layer. the disc is Taiyo-Yuden mfg(TYG02). 8x. Could the software,disc or dive be the problem. Someone let me know

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Though TY's are an excellent disc, you have the G02 dye package and we really want the G04.

A change of disc isn't a bad idea -

But first, let's take Memorex as an excellent example as DVD media goes, 90% of Memorex, made by CMC, is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception – they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which, “Pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc –

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them – what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?

When I say "Branded," that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

Cheers,

Pete

5. ddddub

ddddub Member

Thanks scubapete the disc are Taiyo Yuden 8x(TYG02). Do you think its the media or could it be 1clickdvd.

I see alot of people here uses Icopydvds2. Do you recommend I get that program (basic version or standard)instead of 1clickdvd. I just read the page where the programs were compared to each other and 1clickdvd won.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

A few pple have gottent it - recently -

1clickDVD did the "Test" who did you think would win ?(Lol) Don't ya just love those unbiased tests ?

No, I don't think it's 1clickDVD - try a different media :)

1/2 of the way down the page you'll find a guide and some download links for a pretty good proggy I think - using the Quality settings (Maximum Smoothness) and Anaylsis it will take longer but is better than 1click or several others in the "test" and these are FREE !

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Let me know how you do -

Pete

7. ddddub

ddddub Member

thanks

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Don't forget to report back and tell us how you made out -

Pete

9. ddddub

ddddub Member

Scuba Pete, its still not working. I purchased icopydvds2 and tried it with that software and it still didn't work. I get the error during part 2 (the burning process) I called there tech support. They told me to update my win98 and to update my firmware. I did both also I disable my anti virus and disable my firewall, and still get the error. They then said send them an error report and they would get back to me. Its been over 24hrs and I haven't heard anything yet.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sorry, I have no experience with that proggy, stick with their tech dupport -

You paid your $$$$, you should get support -

BEFORE you purchased their proggys I gave you some FREE proggys that we can trace problems and can do copying well and simply and so far I've heard nothing at all from you about your progress with them - ? ?

I'm still waiting to hear about them -

Cheers,

11. ddddub

ddddub Member

Subba Pete, sorry but I don't know what a proggy is.

12. kchev

kchev Regular member

he means program

by the way he is referring to dvdshrink which is "free" and is strongly considered the best backup software program you can use

listen to scuba pete and you will be making perfect backups every time he will not tell you wrong

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004