1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! i need a VIDEO EDITING computer! Budget of $1000 - 1200. These specs good?no? show your specs!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by joesokol, Dec 8, 2009.

1. joesokol

joesokol Member

Are these specs sufficient? They are copied and pasted from build a comp site.

BUNDLE: None
    BLUETOOTH: None
    CD: ]LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    CD2: None
    CAS: Azza Orion Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Side Panel [-25] (Silver with Blue Lightning)
    CASUPGRADE: None
    CS_FAN: Default case fans
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
    FAN: Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink
    FREEBIE_RM: None
    FA_HDD: None
    FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
    FLOPPY: None
    HDD: High Performance with Data Security (RAID-1) with 2 Identical Hard Drives [+31] (500GB (500GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+26])
    HDD2: None
    IEEE_CARD: None
    KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
    MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    MODEM: None
    MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor
    MONITOR: None
    MONITOR2: None
    MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) EVGA X58 3X SLI LE Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ GbLAN [+67]
    MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+79] (Corsair or Major Brand)
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
    OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
    OS_UPGRADE: None
    POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts Power Supplies [+26] (SLI Ready Power Supply)
    PRINTER: None
    PRINTER_CABLE: None
    RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
    SOFT1: McAfee Anti Virus 7 [+15]
    SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE [+30]
    SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers [+15]
    TEMP: None
    TVRC: None
    USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    USBHD: None
    VIDEOCAMERA: None
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 1GB 16X PCI Express (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])
    VIDEO2: None
    VIDEO3: None
    VC_PHYSX: None
    VC_GAMES: FREE GAME - Street Fighters IV
    WNC: None
    _PRICE: (+1178)

So i get an answer says that computer is only 300 bux to build! The cpu itself is $250 ? How in the heck could i get that computer for $300!? I just newegg.com'd every piece and it came out to $1000+ !? Do I become a a thief before I become a magical computer technician? If this isnt good specs include a really good setup for VIDEO EDITING. I have 4 days before I purchase. I've spent hours researching performance charts and reviews and this is the computer I came up with. I am a newbie and I need help!

Additional Details
    Please do not bother writing me on my board without giving me help. GAMER GAMER GAMER! I do not think anyone really knows about video editing. I understand most people know about gaming and fps on warcraft, but i need to know about system strength for a pc relating to video editing. DO NOT LEAVE ME AN ANSWER ABOUT WHAT YOU COULD DO WITH THAT MONEY FOR A GAMING COMPUTER. I SEE A LOT OF TYPING ABOUT NOTHING. SHOW ME SPECS! For being a newbie I have a good amount of knowledge due to research not field experience. I need help from someone who ACTUALLY knows someting!

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

If the price for all of that is just $300, then it is either a scam or a mistake...but I would go for it, just on the chance that it is a mistake that they wil honor. It is a great deal, even if some of the parts are not very good.

It is a somewhat wierd build...the main advantage of the I7 is for people who have lots of components or multiple video cards...and this system does not.

Also, some of the areas are a vit vauge...most don't even have component brand names...so expect the cheapest junk parts there.

Still, even if you can only get the evga mainboard and I7 CPU for $300, this would be a great deal.

3. joesokol

joesokol Member

Sorry I was misunderstood. The system is $1265. I pieced this same system from newegg at 1100. Some guy on yahoo answer told me he could make this comp for 300. Which you called it is complete B.S. The cheapest you can get a new i7 920 cpu is $199 and 99% of everyone else sells them for $250 and up. Im just so confused on what I should get. The i7 920 kills AMD on all chart performance sheets. Its got to be fact b/c every single chart performance spec out there proves this. The mac running on an intel xeon is supposedly the best thing out there for video editing period. I really cant afford that rig and I want the ability to game if I want. Most likely I wont be gaming that often but I want the option. I want to piece it together myself but I need someone to step up and come up with a rig that makes sense and is reliable.

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

$300 just to build it is insane. Just about anyone with at least one hand and one eye can build a computer with ease. Most of the parts can only go in one way, and your fellow AD members are always happy to help.

I think you would be happier with an I5. At the same speed, a I7 will be a tiny bit faster in video editing than a I5...but the I5 is much cheaper, and you can get a faster speed for the same price.

If you EVER want to game, then the video card from your list is no good; it is slower than many 3 generation old cards...it can do HD video...but that is about the limit.

I designed a build for you...it is $1312...but I think it would serve you much better. It has a bluray burner and twice the hard disk space, all the parts are high quality, and the price includes keyboard, mouse, windows, and good AV software (not that McAfee crap). It also has a better video card; it still isn't high-end gamer gear...but it is much better than the nVidia 220, and it plays most games...it just won't do too well with the graphics quality turned up high. Also, this build has the 2.8GHZ I5, so it is faster than the more expensive 2.66GHZ I7.

$280 - CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115214
    $105 - Mainboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128405
    $95 - 4GB RAM (you can get 2 for 8GB; but most people don't have use for more than 4GB) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260
    $150 - Bluray Burner - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136175
    $90 - Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
    $170 ($85x2) - 1TB 7200RPM Hard drives - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433
    $25 - Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147109
    $20 - Card Reader - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820816001
    $12 - Keyboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126012
    $46 - Mouse - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104099
    $25 - Sound - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=sound_blaster_audigy-_-29-102-012-_-Product
    $60 - Eset Smart Security 4 - http://www.eset.com/smartsecurity/
    $105 - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...116754&cm_re=windows_7-_-32-116-754-_-Product
    $27 - Gigabit Network Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106121
    $75 - Video - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161218
    $20 - Front Fan - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185005
    $7 - Thermal Compound - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07&cm_re=arctic_silver-_-35-100-007-_-Product

5. joesokol

joesokol Member

You have definitely helped me. I will actually build a comp very close to this! Thank you for taking the time and helping! How hard is it to set up dual monitor?

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

With that card (as well as most), it is just a matter of plugging them in and using the "display settings" menu in the control pannel.

7. joesokol

joesokol Member

Well, thats easy. I read about the usage of a CRT monitor being used for color correction. So, I imagine a LCD and CRT set up would be ideal for video editing.

Oh Killerbug, question for you or anyone out there. Money limit reached but I am bordering on either 8gb ram and 2x 500gb hard drives or 4gb ram and 3x 1tb hard drive space. I can always uprgade or add ram or hard drives. But which would you start out with?

This is it. I think you've seen the specs on my other thread but these are tweaked a lil.

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU - i7 860

PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

HD- 3 x HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.B HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Video Card- HIS H387QS512NP Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support IceQ3 Video Card

Sound- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

Burner- LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R

Fan- Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan

Ram - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

Reader -Nippon Labs Delux 3.5" Internal All In One Card Reader/Writer with USB2.0 & eSATA Ports Model ICR-BB

Poer Supply - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Case - Rosewill R223-P-BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Im going to run windows seven and adobe premier elements 8 with this!

8. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Go with 4 GB RAM and 3 WD 1 TB Caviar Blacks. There a bit more expensive then Hitachi and Segate, but worth the extra money. If you really need to save a few dollars get the Seagates.

Like i said go with WD HDDs, the video cards a bit weak imo, the sound blaster isnt needed unless you have to have really great sound. Your mobo will already have surround sound capability thats quite good, and last but not least, do you really need a card reader?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

joe: As of your most recent post, here's how I'd rate the build:

Motherboard: 8/10 - Fine, but a bit weak for a powerful CPU like the 860.
    CPU: 10/10
    PSU: 8/10 - Not bad, though I prefer the 650TX for various reasons.
    HDDs: 6/10 - Hitachi Deskstars get a mixed press, I honestly couldn't say if they're good or bad. What I would say is avoid Samsung F1s and Seagate 7200.12s.
    GPU: 2/10 - Unless it's practically free don't buy it. There are cards that use a third of the power, are half the size and cost half as much that do a better job. The HD3870 is old tech, I'm surprised you can still buy it.
    Sound card: 5/10 - Beware. Good value card, IF using XP. in Vista or Win7, it will make your life a living hell. I'd recommend getting an X-Fi if you're serious about sound, sticking with integrated if you're not.
    DVD: 10/10
    fans: 10/10
    RAM: 10/10 As long as it's the 1.65V version compatible with i5s. Check before you buy
    Case: 3/10 - Come on, you can do better than that. High-end hardware won't like a budget basic case that's poorly made. At least go for something like an Antec Three Hundred.

10. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I'd go with the 3x1TB route...that way if you do need to upgrade, it is just a matter of buying $100 worth of ram, rather than $250 worth of drives. I have not had any experience with the 1TB Hitachi drives, so I can't say anything for or against them. I know my old 320s are rock-solid...but that says nothing for the 1TB drives.

As for the case, I don't think computer parts care much about how the case looks, or if it has a few sharp edges on the inside. The parts will run just as fast with no case at all, and if they ever complain to you, then you have the world's only AI CPU...please don't give it a body. There is plenty of airflow to cool an overclocked 2.66 and a 4890, and I don't see the vibration complaints that most econo-cases have. Pretty cases are for the user, not for the computer; just as fishing lures are designed to catch sport fishers; not fish. BTW...this build isn't an economy-PC, but it isn't a "High End" system either...it is somewhere in the mid-range.

I don't know why Sam has so much trouble with his Audigy SE...mine has never caused me any troubles, except when I accidently used the windows update version of the driver (never do this for any part that is already working). I know the Vista/7 driver lacks some of the features of the XP driver, but they are features that no one used anyway...and they are also features that you can get from third party applications. Of course, you could just use the onboard sound if you are not an audiophile...it only hurts the performance a little bit, and it sounds the same on cheaper speaker systems.

The card reader is also a front eSATA port...I don't know if you need this, or even if you need to read cards. If you don't need either feature, then dump it.

If someone wants to recomend a cheaper video card that has the same (or better) 3D performance, please do. I don't pay much attention to the low-end video cards, I know the 4670 is slower than a 3870, and that they cost the same price, but I am a bit ignorant of the low-end nVidia selection.

Ram - the model number you posted in your last post (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) is the stuff you want...I5/I7 tested and 1.65V.

As to the CRT/LCD combo for color matching, CRTs are better for this, but they still are not great...and remember that the videos you make will probably be watched on LCDs more than on CRTs...you might take a lesson from Ferarri...early race ferarris were ferarri red. When color TV came along, this looked bad, so they changed to a color closer to orange. When LCDs came along, this looked bad, so they changed the color to be closer to the original ferarri red. The point? It is not about how accurate it is, it is about how good it looks. If you are concerned about color matching, just get a few paint samples...RED, GREEN, BLUE, WHITE, BLACK...and then tune your screen to match them.

11. joesokol

joesokol Member

Killerbug, sammorris, explorer4,
    I am really excited about getting back into tech. You guys are so informative. I have done my research, but nothing beats people who have field tested something, or have the experience through others. Thanks!

As for the system, I'm going to stick with the hitachi's to save some money. The reviews look good on that drive. The benchmark tests are ok, and the price is excellent.

The damned video card is kinda pissing me off. I want what everyone wants something good for cheap! Ha! You get what you pay for though huh? I'm going to research some more tonite. I am ordering my parts 2morrow nite or saturday. So I need help choosing one still!! I want to stay below $120 on the card. And maybe explore the option of a second one down the line.

Im ditching the reader, and the sound card for now.

Thanks again.

Dont forget to recommend a video card!

12. joesokol

joesokol Member

Just changed my mobo.

MSI P55M-GD45 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    mATX w/ OC GENIE & DrMos, 1394a

What do you think?

13. joesokol

joesokol Member

Just chose gpu

Galaxy 96GFF6VIFCXU GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Video Card

What do you think?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Killebug: You're missing the point about the case. I wouldn't want to run a CPU like an i7 in a case with such dismal cooling. You don't need much, but you do need something. A cheap case like an Antec Three Hundred or NZXT Beta would suffice, it doesn't have to be much, but (at least with the stock cooler) and i7 in a case with airflow like that isn't really ideal.
    joesokol: The GD45 gets good reviews, it's a decent enough board. Sadly, your video card is not. You're paying far more for that little performance than is necessary.
    I'd recommend something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161260

15. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

That is a better card without question...that is why it costs $20 more.

Of course the Antec 300 is a better case...it is more than twice the price. The rosewill isn't a top-end case, but it is better than what most OEMs would use for a 95W processor.

As a side note, I am always iffy recomending any case...I think the user should choose the case since they are the ones who will have to look at it day after day.

joesokol - Why not browse through their selection and pick the ones that you like the appearance of the most, then post back here & we will tell you which cases are of good design & build quality. You can also check out the reviews there.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...CodeValue=548:8287&PropertyCodeValue=548:8294

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually at newegg the HD4830 is the same price as most 9600GTs excluding the Zotac. The Galaxy card is actually $15 more than the 4830, and the HD4830 is a much better card than the 9600.
    As for cases, it's all down to personal taste, but unless it's very powerful and noisy, I'd strongly recommend against a Core i7 in a case with only a single 80mm fan.

17. joesokol

joesokol Member

So I am settled on this. $34, 4 fans, good reviews. Check it out!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147057

If i get this will my fan be hard to put in?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185005

What about this? I do want to overclock my machine eventually, but why not now? I have case with good airflow and then this:
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._cpu_heatsink_fan_1156-_-35-103-065-_-Product

Is this a good idea?

So my new mobo? No thoughts? Specs look good. Reviews are excellent. But the board is fairly new I believe. What you think?

18. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

To me thats good enough to drop them. If reviews are 50/50, then its risky to me when were talking hard drives.

Same I got a Deskstar a few years ago as an external drive from Simpletech, in a case designed(or inspired by) Ferrari since you mentioned them lol. Anyways the cheap psu failed, but works solid as an internal drive.

Case looks good and the fans you mentioned will no doubt get the job done. There a great fan. I have the F series, which is a step up, and it pushes a ton of air and makes virtually no noise.

Now you mentioned OCing, well you may want to research that MSI mobo. I know my MSI P55-GD64 came with the Foxcon socket for the CPU, and these are known to actually burn the pins and cpu. However some of the P55-GD65s do not have the Foxcon.

As for the cooler, that might be a tight fit in that case. See what Sam and Killer say on that to be sure, but as for coolers, Sam recommended this one to me:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7..._LGA_1156_AM2_Xeon.html?id=mmvwvPzg&mv_pc=141
    It's pricey, even more so when you add the Scythe SFF21F fan, but my cores are running at 28*C.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  19. joesokol

joesokol Member

I've delayed the ordering of the parts until monday. I am still tinkering with what I want. I'm pretty sure I've got it but I want to be certain!

I do need advice on the fan and cooler situation. I'm still unsure of which hard drive to purchase.

Does the video card look CAPABLE for everything out there? What if I add another one of these card sometime down the road? Will that be kick ass or no?

20. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Looks like that case should serve you well. It looks like that case comes with three 120mm fans and a 80mm. This should give good cooling, in spite of the low quality fans (and you can always upgrade the fans later to get even better cooling with reduced noise). It also has a spot on the side for another 120mm fan pointed right at the cards...a nice touch.

Fans are very easy to install; just four screws...and the fan comes with them. I think I would put the Scythe fan on the back, and move the back fan to the side...if there is enough room; otherwise I would just toss the old rear fan in my "Cheap Junk Fans" bankers box.

I am not a fan of coolermaster coolers; the fans are junk and the clips are even worse. That model uses a particularly bad mounting setup.

I think your new mainboard should be a fine overclocker. It is a smaller board, but it is made well and a lot of users have gone past 3.8GHZ using the 2.66GHZ I5 processor.

I like this cooler combo for low-stress overclocking, though it is a bit pricy.
    $45 - Cooler - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029
    $8 - Clip for cooler - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233039