1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, I need an idiots guide to ripping dvds

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by dtaylor5, Nov 9, 2007.

1. dtaylor5

dtaylor5 Member

Ok, here is my dilemma- i need a computer dummies guide to copying dvd's as backups- my son likes Bob the Builder, lol- but he is incredibly hard on the disks and wrecks them all the time- I have dvddecrypter and can get it so save the movie to my hard drive, but then i can't get it to burn onto a disk that will play in the dvd player :( I have dvdshrink as well, and read bunches of things, but couldnt make it work- i don't have nero on my computer, just roxio, and the nero trial has expired- is there anything that can be used that is easier? i tried dvdclone2 as well, the one with the sheep as the logo and it worked pretty well but of course, i expired the trial on that too, and it was only doing about a quarter of the movies that i tried- any quick and easy solutions? if i have to pay for a ripper/burner, which one is the best? thanks so much for any help. Earle in Houston.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Rip disk with DVDFab HD Decrypter
    Run program, insert disk, select 'Main Movie' or 'Full Disk' and save to a folder (click the little folder icon on the 'Target' line.

Run DVD Shrink
    'Open Files' and load the output folder from DVD Fab.

Click 'Backup' and tell Shrink to burn the new disk with DVD Decrypter.

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

3. dtaylor5

dtaylor5 Member

Thanks for the response! Does the the dvdfab hd decryptor work on non HD as well? i will go have a go at it- thanks again!

4. attar

attar Senior member

Yes, they just threw that in recently.

5. res2cue

res2cue Guest

the HD version is the latest version of the dvdfab program. It works the same as the one you are using, but is still supported (updated) and dvd decrypter is not. You have been able to get the files to your hard drive, that is not your problem. Burning those to disc seems to be where your problems begin. which kind of blank media are you using? After you burn a dvd and it does not play in your dvd player, does it work in your PC? Remember a couple simple rules when burning, typically you should burn at half the rated speed of the media. For instance if you have 16x discs, you should burn at no higher than 8x.

Do not multi-task when burning

I would suggest using something other than Roxio to burn, I would suggest using a program called imgburn. It's free and works very well. It can decrypt and burn. Although it is no longer supported it can still do many newer dvd's.. I'm sure it could handle Bob the builder. You can still use shrink to shrink the files down to fit on to a dvd-/+r.

Here is a guide for imgburn: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@dtaylor5....... first off welcome to afterdawn!~

here are some burning tips for you..... some have been mentioned already:
    there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

and here are some guides/software for you:

http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/index.htm

if you follow these guides/software/media suggestions you should be alright! enjoy!

7. chadrocks

chadrocks Guest

just use dvd shrink its the best free softwere ive found.