1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help!! I think the file should fit on one disk but it wont.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by maddbeatz, Oct 30, 2004.

1. maddbeatz

maddbeatz Member

i am very new to burning anything other than a standard music disc. I have been using bit tornado for a bit now and have some really good files I would like to convert to VCD or anything I can play on my standalone DVD player. I have created full movies on DVD-R with ISO files on 1 disc as well as shorter length VCDs 1 disc. My big issue is this. A lot of the movies I have are in AVI format and are already split into 2 discs. Fine!! I have settled for having to burn movies onto two discs but......usually both of the files are still a little to big for one disk. They are usually marked as anywhere from 650-720 Mb, but Nero says they are too large to fit. I have been reading about overburning techniques and maybe this is the answer or is it to change the format of the file. Is Nero the problem?? Also i am wondering if you can burn multiple of these files onto DVD-R because I think they hold about 4.7 GB. i have spent hours searching forums and guides and have slowly been learning through trial and error. I am tired of downloading software and visiting sites that want to sell me software. I know these quesions have been asked before but I am in need of someones personal experience

Thanks

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

maddbeatz,

It sounds like you either have Nero in CD mode instead of DVD mode, or you are trying to burn to CD media instead of DVD media. Very seldom would a "movie only" downloaded file would be to large for 1 DVD disc.

Have you tried NVE 3 to load these files, it will convert them to DVD compliant files and enable you to create chapters and build a menu with which to navigate your DVD and also compress the files if too large for the media.

Lots of times bit "torrent" files are bin/cue files, Alchohol 120 works well with these kinds of files :>)

3. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

as big orange mentions, they could be bin/cue files. I remember way back when I started I got a similar issue. I very rarely burn anything these days due to my PC setup but are you trying to burn the files onto the CD or are you using the burn image in Nero?

so you get the too big error when you try to burn the files or when you burn the image?

you can burn multiple files to a DVD but you would need to convert them as bigorange said regarding NVE. Sometimes it will mean the initial size of each will increase when changing formats so you may not get as many on a DVD. It will depend on what quality settings you use

lol, thinking about it I still have 2x DVD-R's I paid £2 for ages ago, so it shows how often I burn stuff :D

4. maddbeatz

maddbeatz Member

thanks for the response but I must apologize as I thought I posted in the CD-R forum. I guess my question of converting avi files to DVD-R that can play on my standalone DVD still aplies. I have successfully burned cue/bin files to DVD-R as well as making a data disc containing 4 movies but thats only good for the PC. I actually have the tv linked to the pc via an S-video cable but the audio is through the PC speakers and they are a distance from the TV and it doesnt work out that well. Any input would be appreciated.

5. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

nero vision express should accept avi files and convert them to VOB's etc. I haven't done it in a while so maybe someone else knows exactly what to do

I have a similar setup but my audio goes via a long extension to my surround sound Hi-Fi in the living room. My PC is in a cupboard in the passage but I can still use my TV as a monitor etc :)

do you not have an audio input in the TV or something? You can get jack to phono leads that will do the job along with a double socket for the back of your PC so you can have 2 sets of speakers

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]nero vision express should accept AVI files and convert them to VOB's etc. I haven't done it in a while so maybe someone else knows exactly what to do [/bold]

As Mack stated NVE WILL accept AVI files and allow you to convert them to VOB's. Also if you need it I have written a NVE guide that I can give you if you need it, it also shows you how to make chapters and ceate a menu. It is for NVE 2, but it works on NVE 3 with some minor changes. I plan on updating it this week to accompany the changes :>)

7. maddbeatz

maddbeatz Member

Thanks bigorange and MackemX,
    I really do need to look at the linkin the sound from the PC to my TV. I think this NVE is worth looking into, I currently just have Nero start smart(came with PC) so if I can get that guide you speak of it would be greatly appreciated. Do either of you know how much room is taken up when converting the files....or I guess the real question is how many movies can fit on a single DVD-R. Although I can watch stuff on the Tv, it is still nice to brong movies to friends houses or in other rooms in the house.

Thanks again

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

maddbeatz,

Here ya go, keep in mind this is for NVE 2 not NVE 3 and the interface has changed a little but it basically works the same. To do custom work(backgrounds, buttons, activation colors, etc.) in the menu click on the edit button and it will then take you to that I have described in NVE 2.

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=Nero;action=display;num=1094748961
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  9. maddbeatz

maddbeatz Member

Big thanks to bigorange,

I downloaded the 1 month trial version of Nero 6 with NVE and had to buy the DVD plugin or so they told me. I have successfully burned a movie onto DVD-R that was in .avi format that wouldnt fit on a single CD-R in VCD mode. surprisingly it takes up almost the full DVD. Anyways I have plenty of DVD-R disks lying around to keep me busy. I am still very interested to see if there is a way to fit them on a single CD-R in VCD format. Anyways you have been a great help in getting me closer to my goal

Regards

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

maddbeatz, Thank you :>)

I had forgotten about the DVD plugin because if you buy Nero Ultra 6 it is free. If you ever decide to purchase see if they will knock off the cost of the plugin on your purchase price. Don't know if they will, but it's worth a shot :>)

11. maddbeatz

maddbeatz Member

bigorange,
    They definately inform you of that but i didnt want to spend any more money than I had to until I knew if it worked for me. This will get me by until the end of November then I will probably buy it or I will know alot more by then and get something different.

thanks

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You can't go wrong with the Ultra 6 suite. It's not just DVD backup, you have PC backup, toolkit, file conversion, 2 burning engines, All audio needs, menu authoring, DVD and CD cover design, copy a copy, and a ton more, too many too list.

You can't compare this to another backup app, it's apples to "oranges"(heh heh). If I could only have one proggy, it would be Nero Ultra 6, because I could do everything with this one app :>)

13. maddbeatz

maddbeatz Member

I have to admit that it is easy enough for me to use and the results have been 100%. I dont even know what I will be trying to do another month from now but it sounds like Nero is going to be able to help me out. Im sure I will buy the full version, or maybe I will ask for it for Christmas.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It would definitely make a nice gift, throw in shrink and decrypter, both free, and you have the makings of a good set of DVD software Merry Xmas! :>)

15. maddbeatz

maddbeatz Member

Yeah Ive heard of this dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. Can you tell what I can do with them.

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Shrink rips, encodes, has custom compression, edits, and re-authors. With it's new quality settings it does an excellent job of DVD backup, free or not.

Decrypter rips and burns. It is the most aggressive ripper out there and has specialty settings to get around "hard to rip" dvd's. It will rip in file, IFO, and ISO mode and writes in ISO mode. Shrink can be set to auto burn with decrypter or nero.

I would highly recommend getting these apps, they are after all, free. It is a good thing to have several apps for DVD backup, some work when others don't. And both of these work extremely well with Nero, which you already have.

If you need the links, let me know. Be sure to get the newest versions. :>)

17. maddbeatz

maddbeatz Member

If you have the links than that would definately save me the time of trying to find the latest versions. As always it is much appreciated.

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member