1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! I'm Clueless!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lsd25, Feb 22, 2005.

1. lsd25

lsd25 Member

I want to take some old DVD-Rs I recorded off off my Panasonic DMR-E30, and add customized menus, as well as do some editing, and perhaps clean up the picture in spots. In short, I want to make them look like professional commercial DVDs. I know have an older iMac G3 that was great in 1999, but does not quite cut it today. I want to get a G5 Mac (or possibly a good used G4). My questions are as follows:

1) What program would be best to create professional looking menus? I am very good with Adobe Photoshop, and I do not want to rely on pre-installed Menu Templates such as the ones on iDVD. I want to incorporate, and customize, my own menus.

2) How hard would it be to extract the audio and video from a DVD recorded on a DMR-E30, do some minor editing, and clean up, and create an originally authored DVD?

3) What would be the best program to author a DVD?

4) The DVDs I recorded on the Panasonic DMR-E30 play on about 80% of the DVD players I play it on. A DVD-R I recorded on a Ridata would not play on certain DVD players, but my friend duplicated a movie for me using a DVD duplicator and one of my blank Ridata DVD-Rs , and that disc has played on every DVD player I have tried it on, even ones that would not play the DVD-Rs I recorded on the DMR-E30. People used to tell me it was because of the DVD-R media itself, but this seems to disprove that. My question is this: Is there a way to author a DVD so that it plays back on most, or all DVD players?? If so what program is good for that?

5) How much Hard Drive space should I have on my computer so that it is ideal for DVD authoring??

6) How much Memory would be ideal?

7) Does anyone have a recommendation on what kind of Mac would be a great one for authoring??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member