1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! I'm going to throw in the towel!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by luvmy82, Jan 8, 2005.

1. luvmy82

luvmy82 Member

I have been struggling, researching, downloading, compressing, decrypting, and TRYING to burn a simple friggin DVD for two days straight to no avail! I am just about ready to throw myself down on the floor and cry! I really need your help and advice.

I have a computer with Windows XP, and I installed a CyberHome DVD 16x burner. On the DVD burner box it says:

Supported Formats:
    DVD + R/RW (the plus sign has an underscore as well)
    I bought TDK 8x DVD+R blank discs
    I have a Samsung DVD V3650 player hooked up to my TV to play back DVD's.
    I am trying to copy a movie that is less than 2 hours in length.

I have tried to use DVD Cloner II demo, and it appears that it is burning to the DVD, however when I play it on my Samsung DVD player, nothing happens.

I have downloaded the free Nero DVD burning software and I can't figure out how to use it.
    I have downloaded the DVD Shrink
    I have downloaded the DVD Decrypter

Nothing works, nothing plays. Why is this so complicated?

Can someone give me no brainer instructions on how to duplicate a DVD movie with the equipment I have? What DVD burner software works? HELP!

2. hursty

hursty Active member

the best way in my opionion is to use dvd shrink with dvd decrypter.forget about nero.
    do you know how to use shrink,decrypter???

3. luvmy82

luvmy82 Member

No, can you please help me? ;-)

4. hursty

hursty Active member

first of all,you need to rip the dvd onto your hardrive,
    have you got enough space? 5gb-10gb??

5. luvmy82

luvmy82 Member

Plenty of space, I already copied it to my C drive

6. hursty

hursty Active member

what is the file size?
    does it need shrinking?
    are you using the correct region for your dvd player?

7. luvmy82

luvmy82 Member

what is the file size? Whoa! It's 8.63 gigs! I need to shrink here big time. HELP.
    does it need shrinking? YEPPERS
    are you using the correct region for your dvd player? Correct region for what software Shrink or Decrypter?
    Are you in the US?

8. zombieman

zombieman Regular member

its really not that hard once you get the hang of it. Start here, it explains how to use dvddecrypter http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr_page_2.cfm
    Ok, now that the files are on your Harddrive you will need to "compress" the video files to fit on your prefered dvd media. I usually use dvd2one. Here is a how-to for that http://www.dvd2one.com/windows.php keep in mind that the newer version of DVD2one is different than the one illustrated in the how-to. However it is pretty much the same if not alittle more user friendly. Also DVD2one cost money unless you know other ways to get it..... once those files are on the computer it should be no more than 4.37gig in size. then you can burn the files as instructed.

9. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

1.(the plus sign has an underscore as well)
    this means your burner supports -R and +R media
    so you can use either

2.what size__ gb hard drive do you have??

3. you need 7gb to 10gb to do all this, on you computer

4.you can have conflicks with too many programs install on your computer at once.
    looks like several installed

5. just my opion try using DVDShrink and DVDDecypter
    in that order first.

6. check the guides tab on most all these forums.

10. hursty

hursty Active member

no.not in us.
    unless the file is region free,you need to select the correct region for your movie.think the usa is region 1,anyways i think if there is a problem with the region,shrink will tell you.
    8.63 gbs is a massive file to shrink,not sure what the quality will be like...crap i imagine.
    you may need to split the file onto 2 dvd's to ensure good quality.
    not sure the what processes are involved in shrink a file from your hardrive,(not sure what order you have to do things in)as i have never done it.
    is this a dvd original you have or a file you have downloaded?

11. dvdj

dvdj Member

just open shrink click open file locate your files click on the ifo file it's usualy the top one of the list or group shrink will do its analysis and tell you how big your dvd is uncheck all subtitles and audio you dont want to keep you have two choices either reauthor just the main movie no menus or extras
    and see if your compression in around 65% or better
    or split it to two dvd+-rw's shrink can do it all although I don't think you'll have menus on disc two
    just click the start end button on shrink it bringsup a new screen click on the window at the start chapter
    section count how many chapters there are cut that in half as best you can on the start chapter pick [one] on the end chapter choose the one in the middle at the bottem you should see the total size of the chapters you selected click done or finnished on shinks main screen you should have your first dvd ready to bee backed up note:choose a different folder for your destination then the one where your original files reside as you will use them again name the folder like disc1 then just do this again choosing the middle for your start the one after you left off and the end for your end note: if you have nero installed go to prefferences and un check enable burning with nero once you have backed up both halfs
    I use nero but some might not like it open burning rom
    ,dvd video drop all files from disc one into video_TS