1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help in ?converting? a downloaded movie

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by shovelh, Jan 7, 2007.

1. shovelh

shovelh Member

Real new to this. This question may need moved to another forum. Anyways, I downloaded a movie. Got 2 'cds' and 1 XVID file. I can play the cd's, but don't know what to do with the XVID file. I did do some reading and searching, I downloaded NERO 7.5.90A, I downloaded NIMO codec pac. Something isn't right.
    Would appreciate help. Thanks in advance

2. dano79

dano79 Member

The '2 cds' probably contain the video in VCD format...video CD. First of all, where are you playing the CDs?

If you are not playing them on your standalone DVD player, I would try to find out if your standalone will play VCDs. If so, you can burn these files to CD-R and watch them right away!

The XviD file is a video file of the AVI variety (audio-video interleave), similar to DivX.

AVI movies are the most popular to download, as they are the best quality for the file size...

If you wanted to, you could simply buy a DVD player that plays AVI movies...Wal-Mart has them for $37...look for the DivX logo on front

Most people like to convert AVIs to DVD format...

There are tons of programs that will do this. On this website I have seen ConvertXtoDVD and NeroVision recommended. Many of these programs have trial versions...some will only allow you to convert part of a video, i.e. 30 minutes, or 50% of a video file.

You may want to read through the forums a little more before you decide what to do...I'm the kind of person that likes to jump right in, however, so I've tried LOTS of programs.

The program that I would recommend to you is WinAVI. It will cost you some money, but I think it's better than the others I've tried for the following reasons:

1. Fast Conversion! I can convert a full-length movie to DVD in an hour with this program. Your computer speed will determine how fast you can do this, but just for reference, almost all other programs that I have used take 4 hours or more.

2. Good Quality! The only other program that I have used that produces as good of quality is TMPGenc...however, the version I own isn't capable of encoding into AC3. Plus, TMPGenc takes MUCH longer. WinAVI will give better quality than Nero.

3. Easy to Use! Generally I would say the more options a program provides, i.e. the more complicated it is, the better the quality would be, but this program produces good quality and is SO easy to use.

I take the output from WinAVI and burn to DVD with Nero.

Just so you know, conversion will degrade the quality slightly...DVD and AVI are 'lossy' video formats, meaning that when you convert them to another format, they lose some quality.

Good Luck ;)

3. shovelh

shovelh Member

Dano 79, thanks for the reply..if I open the 'cd' file, they play automatically in Nero showtime on my PC. Nero starts the movie, but the size of the CD file is 692mb, the other cd2 is 701mb. The XVID file is 7kb in size. I can locate and play the XVID file on my PC with Nero.
    I'm having problems with Nero Startsmart. I'm clicking on DVD on the top screen, then I get applications, and I'm clicking on 'Nero burning Rom'. Is this the right application? There are some applications along the top of Nero also eg favorites,data, audio photo, video etc. I don't think I need those? Anyways, when I click on 'Nero burning ROm" , I get a screen that says 'new compialation' There are tabs that say multisession etc, a bunch of vertical tabs that have different dvd config on them. I get kinda lost after that. Am I going in the right direction. The DVD/cd drive I put in one of my bays..It's not a standalone unit.

Do I still have to convert my files?

4. dano79

dano79 Member

First of all, 7kb for an XviD file doesn't sound right. For a full length movie, you should expect around 700 mb (give or take 200, depending on quality).

It definitely sounds like you have video CD files, since most CD-R's hold 700 mb, and it is common to split a movie to two CD-R's to retain some quality.

If you simply want to watch the movie on your PC, but want to burn it onto a disc, I would keep it in VCD format. Instead of using the DVD option, use the CD option burning-rom, and choose 'Video CD'. Simply click and drag the files into the blank window pane.

If you really do have a valid XviD file, as you say you can play it, you can convert it to DVD format using NeroVision. Can you tell which file format is higher quality, i.e. the VCD or the XviD file? Remember, any converting you do will cause some loss of quality. Play around with Nero and see if you can get anywhere.

Good Luck