1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help in repairing ps2

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by alvatar, May 6, 2007.

1. alvatar

alvatar Member

Hi guys, my SCPH-3902 ps2 has been giving me problems. It seems that my machine is having trouble most of the time. While reading a disc loud stuttering noises can be heard frequently, up till a point where the game will hang. Frustrated, i searched on the net for help and stumbled onto Mik3h's troubleshoot guide. Following the instructions written there I managed to open my PS2 loading tray. However, the set that I have is quite different from Mik3h's for it does not have any accessible removable white gear. I was only able to clean the lens with alcohol though that didn't seem to solve the problem. The white gear couldn't be seen and hence couldn't be adjusted as shown below.
    [​IMG]
    Is there any other way which i can adjust the level of the lens? Please help.

2. ovrfiendx

ovrfiendx Regular member

Are you sure it's your lens? Try checking the arm that connects the laser assem. to the worm gear. These are made of plastic and can get worn out. They make a clicking noise when going bad. You can find metal replacements online just can't remember the site sorry.

Pull your PS2 apart like in your pic but pull the white magnet out of the dvd cover. Push the laser assem. all the way to the back, Then put a disc on the spindle then put magnent on top fire up your PS2 and see if it moves smoothly or hangs up and clicks.

3. bap0620

bap0620 Member

If the arm that presses against the worm gear is plastic, heat the plastic with a lighter and bend it slightly so that it contacts the worm gear better. If it's metal, bend it slightly to achieve same result. It worked for me. I had the stuttering problem. I found the info on YouTube (I think.) Google PS2 repair and you should find it if you want. Hope it helps.