1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help installing new graphics card...??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by j4mes1990, Mar 16, 2007.

1. j4mes1990

j4mes1990 Member

hi i have a new graphics card and when i put it in my computer i get no signal from the onboard one and from the new one any advice..??

i have seen i need to disable the onboard graphics card how do i do that...???

2. j4mes1990

j4mes1990 Member

i have a e machines e tower 633dvd and i want to put a Hercules rd prophet 4000xt 64mb pci card in there. if i put it in the computer and try to boot up i get no signal from both cards so i have been in the bios i think and i have put it to pci and still nothing. so i have taken the new card out and the old one works fine. then i uninstall ed the drivers for the on board one shut down the pc and put the new one back in and when i try to boot up with the monitor connected to that one it still has no signal. any suggestion's......???

3. j4mes1990

j4mes1990 Member

sorry its a 3d not rd

4. j4mes1990

j4mes1990 Member

CPU: Intel® Celeron® 633MHz (w/128KB L2 Cache)
    Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition
    Chipset: Intel® 810 chipset, 66MHz FSB
    Memory: 256MB SDRAM (1 DIMM available for upgrade up to 256MB)
    Hard Drive: 40GB HDD
    Optical Drive: Built-in 12x Max. DVD-ROM; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    Video: Intel® Direct 3D 2x AGP (shared memory)
    Sound: Intel® 82801 AC '97 Audio
    Modem: 56K ITU v.90 PCI internal Fax/Modem
    Peripherals: Keyboard; Mouse; Stereo Speakers
    Ports/Other: 2 USB ports (1 is on front bezel); 1 Serial; 1 Parallel; 1 Midi/Game; 2 PS/2; Audio In & Out, Microphone In; 3 Expansion slots - 2 available

i think this is what i got

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

What video card did you get? I think you might just have gotten an AGP 4x/8x and it won't work with your mother board. But to disable the onboard graphics you need to enter your BIOS. I usually just push F8 when I start up. When you go in there just find your onboard video setting and switch it to off.

And for the future. please just click edit and add on so you don't stack up posts like that :)

6. j4mes1990

j4mes1990 Member

hi sorry i didnt see an edit tab. i have got a pci card my computer doesn't take agp or pci-e, as for doing in to bios i have gone in to advanced where it says video controller or something like that and i can put it to pci or agp it was already on pci but i double checked just incase i press delete to go in the bios i think but i will try f8. many thanks james

7. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

ok heres what you do. first if your vpu(video card) is plugged in right now take it out. then boot up your system. then go to the my computer icon right click on then go down to properties. a new window should open up. then click on the hardware tab then click on device manager. a new window should open up. then on device manager look for display adapter an disable it an shut down your pc then plug in your vpu an hook it up to your monitor and you should be good to go.

8. j4mes1990

j4mes1990 Member

hi i have tried this a couple of times and iam having no joy any more sugestions....???

9. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

ok you can try this. insert your video and plug your monitor to your onboard vpu. start up your pc. then go to my computer right click go down to properties. click on hardware tab then go to device manager. then go to display adapter and tell me what you see under it.

10. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

@James,

1) If you got into your BIOS with DEL, then you don't need to try it with F8.
    2) In your BIOS, aside from having the option to switch between AGP and PCI; was there an option to disable onboard video?

It won't help to disable the onboard video in the Windows properties if your BIOS hasn't activated your computer's ability to use the PCI slot for your video card.

11. j4mes1990

j4mes1990 Member

when i go in to bios a click on advanced then i go to video something or something like that and i can select pci or agp and thats all i have noticed is that where i need to go or is there some where else..??

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Surely if you can select AGP/PCI in BIOS then your motherboard has an AGP slot otherwise why would they include the option

There's no need to uninstall the original i would've thought,i've just installed a new AGP graph card and it was detected immeadiatley on startup and i have'nt disabled the onboard,there's no conflicts

your new card should automatically be detected if it's not are you sure it's installed properly i.e is card fitted all the way in to slot or perhaps the card is faulty

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  13. j4mes1990

j4mes1990 Member

i bought the card second hand so i dont know what the requirements are for the power etc, yes it is in properly. heres a pic of the slots i got.

[​IMG]

14. j4mes1990

j4mes1990 Member

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

emachine is tempermental with pci videocards as had to work on 2 of them for 2 different customers who were playing games that the onboard video couldn't handle. installed the ati 9250 pci cards & had to play with the bios to get them to post with new videocard.

16. j4mes1990

j4mes1990 Member

any chance you could do me some instruction please much appreciated if you can and do you know what the requirements are for me to use the hercules in my pc. could it be theres not enough power going to it the van spins when i put it in but it seems like xp isnt reconising it...??

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i set the memory share in the bios for the onboard down to 1 meg or 512k. power wise i think you are alright as it is just playing around in the bios that you need to do. also make certain the new card works 1st as is possible it is a doa(dead on arrival). try 1 adjustment at a time to see if works or not. just checked emachine site for the 633 series etower, they suggest nVidia FX5200 PCI 128MB DDR TV-Out Graphic Card so is possible the herc might not work with emachine but not certain.