1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Is this good media? Did I get jipped?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by clickclak, Apr 15, 2005.

1. clickclak

clickclak Guest

Hi all..
    I don't know if The Digital Dolphin posts here, but he's a blank media guru, and on another site he was saying how authentic Maxell discs (I remember him saying mediacode MXLRG) are just as good as TY discs..

So I went out and did a pricematch at Staples, and got two 25 packs of the +R ones (I have a BenQ DW1620, supposedly +R works better) but I just opened a pack and this is what DVD Identifier says:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-002]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
    Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
    Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
    Media Type ID : [R01]
    Product Revision : [002]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]
    [ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Did I get ripped off? Is this 1st class media? I also have two 25 packs of -R that I picked up.. Will those be MXLRG ? I need to know if I should return this stuff!! Thanks all.

2. kinza

kinza Regular member

RICOHJPN is fine media, worked great for me. Maxell are usually either that or MXLRG0x. Should work fine, no need to return.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello clickclak, I myself have 2 benq 1620's. I'd take those maxell any day of the week. I don't know how much you paid for them,but if you have a local office depot,they have 100 pack spindles of maxell media for $38. I just saw a post where Staple's have them on sale starting sunday for around $18 a spindle of 50. That's what I love about maxell,very good manufacturers and they are the same 4 or 5 mfg that make their: 3/5/10/15/25/and 50 packs.

I don't know if they are any better than Taiyo yuden,but they perform just as good as my maxell/sony 1x-8x/and verbatim datalife plus +8x.Only time will tell if they last just as long.They are a very good media to start out with,until you get into the ty's and verbatims.

MXLRG are on the maxell dash format -4x yellowtops and -8x gold tops. The gold tops are coded MXL-RG03. Now on those yellowtops,3 different manufacturers make them for maxell. They include MXL-RG02/Ty-G01/and ritek G-04. My benq's don't complain about any of these codes. It's just I have a couple of stand alone players that won't play my dash format off of them. The plus media,I book-type them to dvd-rom and only found 1 ps2 that won't play them or the dash.

So both my benq's,for me,do prefer the plus media.Over 99% success rate using maxell/verbatim data life plus/and sony +1x-8x and sony -1x-8x.

Be cautious on most of that 8x media,those babies will burn at 12x and 16x if you leave your burn settings at max.If you look on the wrappers, look for MADE in JAPAN,these are the better ones for maxell/sony 1x-8x/and fuji.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

no need for return, those are very good media. as saugmon suggested, at least here in AD, i've noticed he is the blank media guru on Maxell media...he has helped me sort out my reservations about Maxell media and i have just gone out to get a few spindles at office depot earlier this week. i naturally bought the 8x both dash and plus format, just to test them both out, so far i have had a few burns with each, less than 10 in either format..and they came out great. in terms of them being as good as TY media..that is left debateable, i am not slammin Maxell media, i just have not had all that much experience with them yet, but so far so good. you should keep what you purchased, they will serve you well for your burning needs. hope that suggestion helps you ever so slightly.