1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Locking HDD (frozen drive)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by treminaor, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treminaor

treminaor Member

This paragraph is a Prequel, I guess you could say. Look farther down for my actual problem. I am following this tutorial from the "USING XBOXHDM v1.9" part on down, and am stuck at the part where you are supposed to press the 3 key to be taken to the hard drive locking and unlocking screen. When I press 3, It starts loading linux with the penguin and all that text, and then the computer freezes on this string of text: "ehci_hcd 0000:00:0b.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number one" Now from my research, all I have managed to find out about this is that ehci_hcd has to do with USB2.0 support in linux. So I thought maybe unplugging all my USB stuff and plugging in my old PS/2 keyboard would help. It didn't Still freezes in the same place. I can boot the DOS version of the locking tools, but it doesn't seem as friendly, it does not prompt the same way as the normal screens, and I don't like the fact that all the logs are deleted after restart.

I fixed this by disabling my USB in the BIOS, and using a PS/2 keyboard.

Now, my problem is that xboxhdm reports my drive is frozen, and cannot be locked. Yes, my drive is on the unlockable and lockable list. I don't have any option to disable Auto Detection in my BIOS (dell revision A11 bios Dell XPS 600) and have already tried plugging the drive's IDE cable or power cable into the drive after POST at the xboxhdm screen. If it was the IDE cable I plugged in, XboxHDM freezes after I enter "3" and press enter. It looks like this:

boot: 3
    _ <- the underscore remains flashing, but it never does anything.

If I leave the IDE cable in and insert the power cable after POST, XboxHDM reports that my drive is frozen. How the hell can I fix this? I don't have another computer available to me, and I have tried Chimp with no success. I tried Chimp before all this, but I could not get telnet to connect.(I have a 1.6 xbox so the only way to use Chimp is in telnet) I could telnet to the dashboard, but once I started Chimp, it wouldn't connect. I tried chimp's forced 192.168.0.3, and the xbox's dashboard IP, 192.168.0.3. I also tried my Mac after my PC failure, neither of which provided different results in telnet. FTP and telnet work fine in the the dashboard, but once I open Chimp, I can't connect at all.

Sorry about the long post, but I just wanted to make sure that I have covered my whole process and problem. By the way, I am a first time poster, but a long time reader. I love this forum.

2. CademiaX

CademiaX Member

If you're xbox is chipped or has the tsop flashed it doesn't matter if the drive is locked or not, for softmods the drive needs to be locked.

If it is chipped or flashed you can find slayers evox auto installed 2.7 and burn it to a dvd-r and boot from that to install software and then FTP in and customize it later, or just boot that and FTP in and do what you need to do.

You need to have the drive running in your xbox and swap the IDE cables only without cutting the power to the drive for the hotswap trick to work right.

If youre xbox is stock and you are getting an error because the drive is unlocked, you can still do the hotswap, as soon as you see the error swap the IDE cables.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  3. treminaor

treminaor Member

My xbox is softmodded. I will try to do the hotswap like that. Thanks.

4. treminaor

treminaor Member

Doing a Hotswap didn't help. The drive is already unlocked, as it is brand new. So I don't think it needs to be unlocked by an error code to be unlocked. What I need to do is lock the drive, so that he xbox can unlock and lock the drive. I don't have any modchip installed that allows me to use the hard drive without locking it.

EDIT: Solved using Frosty's Rescue Disk. Thanks to ldotsfan at xbox-scene for helping me.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  5. chucklaw

chucklaw Guest

Having same issue. Had a look for Frosty's Rescue disk but couldn't find a link to it. Where can I download a copy?
    Also, I've read
    "Frosty's XBOX Rescue Disc v1.0:

6. varnull

varnull Guest

Not all motherboards allow drives to be locked.. the function is not supported by the hardware.

7. carlos_K

carlos_K Member

Hi
    Just had to share my experience of having the frozen drive thing after unlocking it and trying to lock it again.
    I searched all over and have spent most of my Sunday attempting to fix my xbox after (stupidly) deleting files after a softmod went wrong. My pc is a compaq/hp so was experiencing the same problem everyone else was for this issue.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, the way I managed to lock my hdd after previously unlocking it and sorting my files out, was:

This is based on using the excellent xboxhdm tools

Boot up the with the cd containing the xboxhdm and attach any old hdd (not the one you are trying to lock), select option 3 from the xboxhdm tool, once that has loaded up, remove your old hdd and replace with your xbox hdd and that is it. Managed to lock the drive and managed to get my xbox in working order. Good luck

8. jportiz

jportiz Member

thanks carlos K worked for me as well just locked a 250gb hard drive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.