1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Magic V killed 3 PS2s!!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Hotwire, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Hotwire

Hotwire Member

I have installed the Magic V in 3 different systems and all of them are having disc read errors! I have tried adjusting the laser voltage, removed the chips, etc, but they still aren't working!

Has anyone had the same bad luck? Any suggestions or help?

Thank you.

2. account

account Guest

you might want to think about paying someone to install that chip into your ps2 if you are haveing that many problems with it and wrecking 3 ps2's.

i have installed a magic V into a couple of consoles with no problems at all.

check out my site http://jgames.50megs.com

3. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

4. Hotwire

Hotwire Member

It's not that I don't know what I'm doing. I have a degree in electronics, working in a completely static free work environment, soldering w/ high quality MetCal equipment, working under a soldering microscope, etc etc. I have followed the diagrams to a "T" and still no luck. *EDIT - My mod looks exactly like the picture provided by china magic*

I have a Ver 9 w/ absolutely no problems after the mod, a Ver 7 that is somewhat flaky, and 2 Ver 5, and a 7 that have disc read errors. Just thought I would get a little more help than above.

Has anyone else had these problems and successfully brought their ps2s back?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]mod of death dealer[/small]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  5. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

What do you do to achieve a static free environment?
    I know that you not suppose to work on carpet.
    What about using latex gloves?

Any other tip would be appreciated.....

6. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

I had the same problem with the magic V but it turns out i wasn't getting one of the ribbons back in all the way, so i got nothing but disc read errors until i fixed it.

7. Hotwire

Hotwire Member

I work for a major semi-conductor manufacturer, our assembly area has anti-stat mats, tile flooring, even the chairs are anti-stat design.

I'm going to put an o-scope on the laser read test point and adjust the voltages tonight to see if that will help me out, if not, maybe move the cd carriage a notch or two, but not going to do much else to them after this. Found a repair shop in canada that will fix them for around $40 US, so that's where they're headed if I can't do anything with them.

8. Hotwire

Hotwire Member

anyone?

one thing you can do to prevent static is to get a cheap static strap from radio shack for a couple bucks, tie it in to a ground somewhere in your house. i have mine connected to the middle screw on a outlet out in my garage, i tested it w/ a meter first to be sure it was grounded. also, use a decent quality soldering iron that advertises that it has a grounded tip. if not, voltage can leak off the iron into the circuit and kill things real quick.

9. account

account Guest

holy shit you know alot about soldering and static if the iron tip is grounded or not? and you should try that ribbon thing cause that could be your problem.

check out my site http://jgames.50megs.com

10. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

are u using the right magic V?? for a v9 u need the magic V 50k

11. Hotwire

Hotwire Member

What ribbon thing are you talking about? Cleaning off the contacts and reseating them? tried that, nothing. Tried adjusting the laser focus/voltage, used an oscilloscope and found the probe point on the v7. Still no luck.

yes, we're using regular v's for the v7 and v5, and the 50k for the v9.

12. martynste

martynste Regular member

Hello hotwire,

Sorry this might seem a stupid. You never stated that you were trying the play backup or original ps2 games.

Try a cd in the ps2 and see if it will read that. If you haven't already tried that.

Did they read the disc before you installed the modchip?

Mart

13. martynste

martynste Regular member

The bloke who installed my modchip had the same problem. I sit next to the guy at work. Although it was a different chip mxl2. He too has a degree in electronics and couldn't understand the disc read errors.

He tried different thicknesses of wire, adjusting the laser, adjusting the voltage but to no avail.

He replaced the laser and my ps2 has worked fine. Is there the slimest posibility that all the laser are damaged.

Mart

14. ICBINR123

ICBINR123 Member

I also heard that the magic chip has to be very precise, and that it can do damage to the PS2 more easily than other chips.