1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH MAGIC 3.1 V7 INSTALL

Discussion in 'PS2' started by zzzzzzzz, Feb 13, 2003.

1. zzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzz Member

I don't know what happened! I installed the chip, everything looked fine. Powered it up, and the reset/power button responds erratically, tray opens and closes at will. OMG! So I take the chip out and returned everything back to original, hoping that everything will be fine. But it's not! Same problem repeating!

What's wrong?

I know there wasn't any solder bridges or anything of the sort. The only one thing that I can think of that I can source to is when I first buttoned up the PS2 after Magic install and finding out that I didn't fully plug the 4-pin power connector properly. Only realized this when power didn't come on and tearing it back down to find that.

What to do, what to do!? Do I have a paperweight??

2. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

That's strange. If you're certain there are no solder bridges then at least unplug all of the ribbon cables and plug them back in. There have been a few times where something wouldn't work right after installing a chip for me, so I just took it apart and plugged everything back in again and it worked fine.

3. jr_

jr_ Guest

I think you have a solder bridge somewhere.
    Look on the bios you may have a small solder ball underneath the chip (very hard to see)

I don't have enough info about the PS2 to tell you exactly where. I would put my money on a short.
    A signal from another line is causing the signal to open-close the tray to activate.

4. MuzlL0dr

MuzlL0dr Member

I had something similiar to that happen to me. The tray opeend and then just stayed open, plus the screen stayed black. I was pretty freakd out. What we ended up doing was putting a lot heavier gauge wire for the 5v and ground lines. Once we did that it worked like a charm.

5. jr_

jr_ Guest

He's already removed his chip MuzILodr.

6. zzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzz Member

I know, I've already removed the chip, and this is a brand new PS2, and it's still replaying the same problems. I'm lost here. I've torn everything down, and inspected it with a 10x glass, touched up on all previously soldered points, did some continuity tests, and still, same ol problems. I have no idea what the cause is!

Has this happened to anyone else here? I purchased the Magic 3.1 from www.modchip.com. These guys are over in UK or somewhere there overseas. Took forever for them to ship the chip out but I just received an email from them and are willing to refund or exchange the chip. As far as my PS2, it's still acting up!

Augh!