1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me access a shared folder off another pc

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by johnc1234, Jun 15, 2007.

1. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

hello, reliable afterdawn.

here is the situation, me and my friend live two doors away from each other, hes got a wirteless pc and i got a router with a wpa key on. i will let him connect to my internet but i want to give him access to my videos folder. is this possible?

Currently, I have set this folder as shared in the properties>sharing tab. It is also set up in "My network places".

What does my friend have to do to access this folder if it can be done, which i think it is.

help me out here please. its only an experiment but i like to know more about computers as the days go by.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  2. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

Regarding the above post.

I have set the videos sharing status so it ca nbe shared over a network. I then added the video as a network place. so if my friend were to access his computer and select "tools" "map network drive..." would he be able to select my videos folder and watch them in his house? I would experiment but I want to make sure i know what im doing before i go into his house and set it all up.

Thanks

3. GambitRox

GambitRox Member

Well, make sure when you go into the Home Network setup, that you name the networks (default is "MSHOME") identically. Once you've done that, he should be part of the network, and have access to your videos folder. If you run into any problems, just say so.

4. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

[​IMG]

Thats what I get. Underneath MShome there should be a Title called Johns Computer right? why aint it there?

5. GambitRox

GambitRox Member

So, they are both named "Mshome", right?

You will only see his computer when it is on and connected to the net. Do you know if it is on?

6. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

yer it is defanitely on, but shouldnt I see my computer under mshome? and yes they are both named mshome. if you got msn

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  7. GambitRox

GambitRox Member

You are correct, it should be on there. Try running the Home Network setup on your computer again. It might not have caught it the first time.

Also, I don't have MSN, but I do have an AIM account...

8. GambitRox

GambitRox Member

9. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

about my network. its still not displaying my server name under mshome, i done everything by the book too. restarted pc when prompted. i dont know why this isnt working.

P.S edit one of your posts, you posted the same message 2wice when you could of just edited a post. mods get angry by that sort of thing/

10. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

okay thanks for the help. i've looked all over microsof and every other forum under the sun. But to be honest, I think its my laptops problem. I rooted my old laptop out from the loft yesterday and I started sharing files with my mate straight away. then when i tri to do it with this laptop... nothing. oh well, perhaps this laptop just ndoesnt want to be set up in a network. Lol thanks for the help anyway mate

11. GambitRox

GambitRox Member

Did you have a firewall or some security software installed on the other? That might have caused it.

12. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

firewall = switched off.

Like I said, I've tried my absolute best and still can't do it from this laptop. If I've tried my best then I aint bothered. thanks for tryna help anyway