1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP ME Brand new problem

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mimans21, Nov 25, 2004.

1. mimans21

mimans21 Member

OK, I burned the Italian Job w/ Shrink and Decyptor. The movie burned perfectly and plays fine on my computer, but when i put it in my DVD player it says "DVD playback is Prohibited by area Limitions " I have never had a problem playing +R or -R DVD's on this DVD player. I'm using new Memorex 4x DVD+r. When i checked them in DVD info it said the disc was a Prodisc. Could it be the media or do i have to get a new DVD player. So confused.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey mimans21, Sound like a media issue. Memorex are not highly recommended around the forums.You said these were made by prodisc., Some of them are ok,but majority are too poor in quality to operate normal.If your pc burns played backups ok in your standalone before the media change, then you could simply get some different media. Unless you put on a different burner, the media looks to be the sticky wicket. Check out the dvd- media forum for lots of info on quality media. Everyone has their preference. Later

3. mimans21

mimans21 Member

NO, i know it's not the media, because my computer plays the movie fine. It's is good disc and copy. My DVD player won't play it but my computer will.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey mimans21, What i meant on the media issue was your stand alone player does not want to read the backup copy. A format issue possibility. It happens to me quite a bit. I have two types of vertims. I have no issues with the 8x verbs. The 4x verbs, There are problems on certain stand alone burners On them when i loan them out to family when they try to play them. Certain stand alones have trouble with burned dvd's. Usually a simple media change will cause this. Sometimes burnspeed,firmware updates. Just a quick thing to try out. My computer also plays everything I burn on it. Later

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Your PC will play a dirty dinner plate.

As you were told, Memorex sucks - If you don't like the information, don't listen BUT DON'T TELL US THAT WHICH WE KNOW !
    There was only a 10% chance that you purchased a Memorex disc made by Ricoh Limited Company and you've told us you did not -

Therefore, you bought crappy media, PERIOD !

Cheers,

You were right Zippy

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Amen to that pete,lol

7. mimans21

mimans21 Member

Really, Well look at this:

Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID PRODISC R03
    Media Product Revision Number 03h
    Format Capacity Blank Disc
    Free Blocks 405405696
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Book Type DVD+R
    Media Type DVD+R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code
    00000000 08 02 00 00 A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 50 52 4F 44 49 53 43 00 52 .......PRODISC.R
    00000020 30 33 03 38 23 54 37 0F 02 54 6B 02 94 63 15 15 03.8#T7..Tk..c..
    00000030 0B 0A 08 08 01 1C 1E 0B 0C 12 12 01 00 00 00 00 ................
    This is the information I got form DVDinfo. These are supposed to be Memorex 4x dvd+r but the information is telling me different. If i'm correct ProDiscs are are ranked 2 on that website. I think my media was fine, but my problem was firmware on my writer.

8. kchev

kchev Regular member

did you change or not choose the correct region in shrink? (if it asked before analyzing)

use something like dvdinfopro to see what regions the disc can play in

does the original play back fine?

9. mimans21

mimans21 Member

It's always been at 1.

10. kchev

kchev Regular member

what about the other questions?

11. mimans21

mimans21 Member

the disc can play in 1-8, but don't worry about i figured out my problem. It wasn't the media, but the actual DVD itself. Thanks for the help

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Not Ricoh, and it's using the 03 dye not the 04 that the "smart money" uses

Again, you're not correct about it being any good for DVD Video work.

I'd keep it around for as you point out Prodisc is good for just about everything BUT DVD video -

There's a towel over in the corner you can use -

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  13. mimans21

mimans21 Member

i don't know why you guys have w/ Memerox media. I have never ever had a problem with Memorex disc before. I have burned about 50 DVD's using this type of media and not one coaster. I'll stick to what works for me thank you.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mimans21,

I agree 100%.

But because it works for you, don't make blanket statements like -

Sometime in the future you will have trouble with your DVD's. My suggestion is to very seriously consider changing media. No one ever said you cannot burn with Memorex. We are saying that Memorex quality isn't consistant and you will get coasters sooner or later. Getting your hackles up defending a product with widly known problems will only cost you $$$$ in the end. We're only giving you a "Heads up" to the possibility that one day, it will be the media that's causing you the problems. I've burned well over 50 Memorex BUT I, as well as many, many other members here finaly got over our lucky streak and learned the hard way as our coaster count mounted. Memorex cannot be trusted as a quality media source.

Here's something else I've learned the hard way and one of the discs used were Memorex -
    We all know that data, music and video backups on CD's and DVD's will last forever, well, if not forever for at least 100 yrs or so - That's what we've read and I believed and that's why we backup our treasures to disc, so that they'll be safe. "BLAaaaT" (the bone chilling sound of an emergency air horn), Wrong, Dead Wrong ! Don't throw the originals away, you may very well need them. Your video camera tapes and family picture CD's and DVD's, may not be there the next time you want to look at them. "Point of fact," inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down]" in time. In a very short time, we're talking disc can breakdown in less than a single year, in as little as 6 to 8 months.

This article was written about CD discs but DVD discs are exactly the same. I was miss-informed and this opened my eyes. Perhaps you'll find it as important as I did.
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

My personal observations on this subject -
    I have had about 40 backups that have refused to play after being stored for a year or more. I test all of my backups when they are burnt to be very sure that there are no problems. "In the Golden, Olden times," before I knew any better, the Memorex, Maxell and professional "Store Brand" discs (and any thing that was on sale) was what used before I switched to Ritek and Verbatim. It is the poor quality stuff that I have been experiencing my trouble with. I noticed that backup DVD's I had refused to play in my standalone player and on my PC. VOB files wouldn't play either and other discs that I backed up about the same time would "Freeze" part way through the movie. After switching to Verbatim and Ritek's, mostly the Ritek's because the price was right, I've not had 1 go "Flat" in over 1 ½ years. I still have some backups about 90 of them done on the "cheap stuff" and, as time wears on I lose a few more as I attempt to check them. I say to you, why did a backup play fine in "01"and "02" then "fail" in "03 ?? Some that were done in "01" never made it till "02" (it took me some time to learn, lol) and others done about the same time and "Failed" in "04"? Most of my backups from around December of "02" were done on the "good Stuff" and they still work fine today - not a single failure !

As always, you have a choice -

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  15. wbfconst

wbfconst Regular member

Amen, Scuba Pete. I have had the same problems with older copies. All made with Memorex, Maxell, and in some cases Sony media. If those of you out there take no other advise than this, you should have no other problems. Buy only Ritek Ridata branded, or Verbatum discs. They can be bought at a reasonable price, just surf for them. Use the free software available at this site to rip and burn. If I had used the advice at this web site a couple of years ago, I would have saved 100's of dollars in software and media. By the way, I haven't had a coaster in months.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thanks for the "backup" wbfconst,

I've seen this type of stuff happen for quite a long time - too bad pple have to learn it the hard way losing all that time Data and $$$$ -

Cheers,

Pete

BTW wbfconst, welcome to aD -

17. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

yo scuba, I just had my first coaster, guess what? A lousy memmorex laying around with my stand alone burner that was in a sony jewel case? go figure?lol<< verbatim only for me. Just the ones produced by mcc. Later

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Heh, heh, there goes a smart lad, his Mama would be proud :))