1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP ME BURN PS2 DVD GAMES

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by CMontoya, Jan 15, 2007.

1. CMontoya

CMontoya Member

OK here it is... I need help on how to burn ps2 backup games.
    tell me the programs I will be needing and will i need one of these "modchips" i hear about? i have the SLIM ps2. also which types of recording cd's dvd+rs will i be needing. please HELP!!!

2. steimy

steimy Active member

that is a very broad question.
    1. you need to mod your system. You can either get a good mod chip installed, or you can get Swap Magic and an aftermarket flip top, or you can get Swap Magic and a set of Magic Keys that is made for your version. Without modding your system it will not play back up games.
    2. as far as burning discs there are many programs you could use. Personally i like DVD Decrypter the best. So if you can find that program then use it.
    3. If you need detailed instruction on how to back up your games there are bold threads at the top of the post that will help you.
    4. best media i have used are Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R
    Verbatim and Philips have also worked very good (also 8X DVD-R)

3. keltin29

keltin29 Member

4. best media i have used are Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R
    Verbatim and Philips have also worked very good (also 8X DVD-R)

Wouldn’t you be better off using DVD+R (plus) instead of the DVD-R (minus) since the PS2 format is DVD-ROM for gaming, and only DVD+R can be book typed for DVD-ROM.

You can’t book type a DVD-R due to the manufacturing process which writes over that portion of the lead-in.

4. CMontoya

CMontoya Member

ok i've got Verbatim DVD+R disks(up to 12X)Purple bottoms...so i need you to clarify the modchip part... is it something I have to buy? Right now I have DVD Decryptor and Alcohol 120%...Im not understanding the MODCHIP thing... please explain that a little more. PLEASE HELP!!!

5. keltin29

keltin29 Member

A ModChip is a special chip (piece of hardware) that you must buy and then hardwire to your PS2. You have to physically open the PS2, get a soldering iron, and solder the new chip to specific points on the PS2 mother board

Here is one type of chip:
    http://www.modchipstore.com/Matrix-Infinity-ModChip-PS2-Playstation-2-V1-12-16202.html

Here are various installation pictures:
    http://www.ghost2fitter.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page_2

Once installed, the chip runs on boot up and changes the way the PS2 works which allows you to play backup copies of a game (among other things).

6. CMontoya

CMontoya Member

Well im thinking that the Swap Magic is the safe way to go? Can I get some suggestions? What if the soldering I do is wrong...so keltin did u buy a mod chip from that site?

7. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

The best Mod Chip i think is the DMS4

With DMS4 you can play backed-up DVD+R Dual Layered, because a few games out there are larger than normal.

DVD Decrypter is a very good program, but RecordNow Max 4.5 is a lot easier to use.

Every game you back up should be burned at 2x

Media shouldn't be anything cheap. I use Memorex DVD-R

DVD-R because I've heard of older PS2 not being able to play DVD+R

I have never had a problem with any backed-up game.

8. keltin29

keltin29 Member

I actually bought my Matrix Infinity Green Dot chip from www.mod-chip.com.

They’re shipping was pretty good, but 1-2 day service is 16.95. I wasn’t terribly thrilled with their idea of an instruction manual nor their install kit.

The “install kit” consisted of a 24” piece of solder and about 6 feet of 28-30AWG wire bundled up with a 4” piece of solder wick. Luckily, I have all my own tools and supplies, so I just tossed their “install kit” in the trash.

The instructions consisted of a picture of the PS2 mother board with all vias Labeled Alphabetically (that was nice), but unfortunately they sent pictures of a V12 board even though I had ordered and was modding a V14 board. No big deal for the most part except that 3.3VDC point was NOT in the same spot that their picture shows as there was a PCB change going between V12 and V14.

And actually, they don’t send instructions but instead give you a password protected web-link that you log into and download the instruction in PDF format. And the instructions don’t mention a thing about how to disassemble the PS2 (I was actually surprised when I opened my V14 slim and saw all the connections that had to be removed as well as the huge metal ground shield that had to be taken off – this was my first PS2 Mod so far).

Oh, and they say to use hot glue for tacking your wires down. While I did use hot glue to hold the chip to the motherboard, I used Tac-Pac for the wires as that is more suited for mods than hot glue. Not to mention (and they didn’t) adding Kapton tape to the top of the chip before reassembly is a good idea to avoid possible shorts to the ground shield.

So basically you get a small bubble lined envelope with the chip in it and some wire. If you’re expecting more, you’re in for a surprise. I’ve been in electronics for more years than I can count, and I’ve done mods that make the PS2 mod look like finger painting, but I’m not going to sit here and say the mod is easy to do. It requires some skill.

You’re soldering to some very fine pin pads and via points, and most of the via points are covered by the PCB laminate which requires scraping them down to expose the copper for soldering.

All in all, it was a four hour mod from disassembly, soldering, checking and verification, and reassembly.

It takes some experience and patience to do a mod like this, but any one can do it if they take their time and have the RIGHT equipment. Most import of all is a good iron with the right tip and some flux! A magnifying headset comes in handy for some fine point soldering as well.

If you’ve never soldered before in your life, you may be a bit overwhelmed by what will required for this, and a mistake in this can kill your PS2 (which is the most nerve wracking part of it).

The swap magic mod for a slim is SUPER easy. It comes with two discs (one for CD games and one for DVD games) and three small pieces of plastic that you insert into t key points under the lid to disable the door sensors. Very, very simple and easy to do. The only downside to this is that you have to swap discs in order to play, and the plastic pieces cause the lid to slightly bulge when you press the lid closed over them. But if you don’t have much experience soldering, you may want to stick with the Swap Magic kit.

I actually tried the Swap Magic kit before ordering the MI Chip. It works well enough, but I prefer the simplicity and versatility of the mod chip (which had free firmware upgrades!).

9. keltin29

keltin29 Member

The Matrix Infinity chip has Dual Layer support as well as a ton of other features.

10. CMontoya

CMontoya Member

SO BASICLY THE CHIP HAS MORE FEATURES THAN THE SWAP CARD THING? OH AND BY THE WAY N E ONE HAVE EXTRA CHIPS OR WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A DEAL WITH ME...ILL PAY CASH FOR A MOD"KIT"

11. CMontoya

CMontoya Member

WHAT ABOUT THOSE EXTERNAL HARDRIVES ARE THEY ANY GOOD?

12. CMontoya

CMontoya Member

oh and kelton... im pretty awesome at soldering i never make bridges...(short circuits) but does the green dot chip come with an actual solder the hot metal thing?

13. steimy

steimy Active member

you can go either way really, a mod chip is easier and will have more features than Swap Magic. But it is also more expensive, plus you have to have someone install it.

In the end a good modchip like the DMS4 Pro SE would make you happier.

You can use an external hard drive with that modchip, but you will have to download something called ToxicOS MegaPack from this site
    http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=dms4.html it would have the application you need to run a hard drive from USB. BUT USB hard drives will be no faster than using a DVD, although it will save laser life.
    The only other option is yet again going to cost a bit, that is to get your slim PS2 put into an HD Combo case. This will allow you to install an internal IDE hard drive which the DMS4 Pro would already have built in support for. Plus an internal hard drive will give you faster load times than a USB or a DVD. And the HD Combo case has dual fans to help with the slimline models know heat issues.

14. keltin29

keltin29 Member

oh and Keltin... im pretty awesome at soldering i never make bridges...(short circuits) but does the green dot chip come with an actual solder the hot metal thing?

No, the Soldering Iron doesn’t come with the kit they send you. All they send is some wire, some solder, solder wick, and the chip.

Here is what they send you:

Solder Kit
    http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i132833_kit.jpg

Here is there suggested layout:
    Installation
    http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i132836_install.jpg

Note that other layouts are possible, and also note they labeled this as the Top Side but it is actually the bottom side of the PCB.

Here is the alternative Swap Magic install kit:
    Swap Magic Kit
    http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i132837_swapkit.jpg

You’ll need to have your own:

Soldering Iron
    Wire Strippers
    Wire Cutters
    Screw Drivers
    Xacto Blade
    Flux
    Hot Glue Gun w/ Hot Glue

Then there are optional tools that make the job a lot easier:

VOM (Voltage Ohm Meter, a.k.a. MultiMeter)
    Tweezers
    Needle Nose pliers
    Magnifying headset
    Mini Maglite
    Loctite (Tac-Pac) wire glue
    Kapton Tape
    Tinning Block
    Iron Stand w/sponge

They say to use a 15W iron, but I prefer a 60W iron. Mine is an Ungar UTC 200 adjustable station. I prefer a “screwdriver” tip (P/N 9018) to the needle points they suggest. With plenty of experience under your belt, the screwdriver tip (along with Flux), while wider than the needle tip, is much easier to work with. The needle tip carries very little heat at the tip itself and can be a pain to work with. The only needle tips I’ve ever seen worth using are those on the Metcal stations (but those stations are expensive).

15. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

hey, guys i think your being a bit misleading. this guy doesnt know much about ps2 modding, so either persuade him to get swap magic, or get it modded from a pro. the best place in the UK is , but if ur getting it modded from their, get a comsoft v3 slim fix installed as well as the summone fix. it will cost around £50. swap magic kits only cost around £20.