1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choose the right modchip.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by cowcow777, Aug 23, 2007.

1. cowcow777

cowcow777 Member

I am looking for a modchip to mod my 360, but I don't really know what to get. I am looking for one that is easy to install, can be switched on and off (so I can play original games on xbl), doesn't have very much soldering (i have never soldered anything before in my life), and the cheaper it is the better. Can anyone help me out?

2. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

I have a spare NME v1.2 around here somewhere. bought it when they first came out. for the samsung drives there isnt very much soldering at all and for the hitachi's theres a little more soldering. In your case i would not try to instal it yourself. I had mine installed and it worked but then took a different route afterwards. If you want to do the modchip over flashing the drive i will sell you my spare NME cheap.

3. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

I would definitely have to suggest the NME mod chip. I've looked at a lot of different types available, and the nme's are out all over, so if someone has a spare one, lucky you. But it either automatically detects a backup and turns itself on, or it will just stay off with an original, so you don't even have to worry about turning it on and off. Soldering, like said before, is easy with the samsung drive, if you have the hitachi, it can be done, but more wires. And I agree also, unless you know what you are doing, I would probably take it to someone to install it. good luck

4. cowcow777

cowcow777 Member

Yea, that sounds like a good modchip. I have a hitachi drive btw.

Oh, and do the modchip over flashing the drive? What is the difference?

5. cowcow777

cowcow777 Member

Sorry for the double post, but I just figured out what the difference is. Modchips don't change the firmware, correct?
    So if installed a modchip, would I be able to change my firmware? I just wondering because I want to use emulators when they are made for 360. And also, someone is probably going to make linux for 360 too, and I would love to put that on my 360.

6. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

The only advantage over flashing the drive is that you are able to play backups on live as of current date. With the mod chip it is not recommended to play backups on live.

7. cowcow777

cowcow777 Member

So what would be reccommended?

Also, how cheap would you sell me that modchip for?

8. mattym123

mattym123 Regular member

the NME 1.2 is definitely recommended, i have had mine installed for about 3 months and not one single problem, as u may or may not know the chip has a few features compared to flashing.

9. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Make an offer. I paid 75$ for it new

10. cowcow777

cowcow777 Member

11. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Ill give it to you for 20 shipped. I have no use for it anymore and would be glad to just get rid of it.

12. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

You do understand that you need more than modchip though right? You need a pc drive that is capable of burning double layer discs,and another drive capable of reading the discs to make an image that you can burn.

13. cowcow777

cowcow777 Member

One drive could read AND burn the discs right?

14. mattym123

mattym123 Regular member

I think that the Pioneer 111d can, but your best bet would be to purchase a Samsung SH-D162C and flash it with KREON 0.81 firmware, then simply burn it with any old dual layer burner.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  15. cowcow777

cowcow777 Member

Alright, I have decided not to mod it with a chip for now because burning games would be impossible for me to do right now... But I am still going to case mod it. I'm going to put chameleon black night case mod and a red ring of light with flasher360, then add a badass faceplate . Sounds cool right?

16. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Sounds cool as long as you arent voiding your warranty. if you have one