1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me choosing a good dvd burner.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by TecZ, Nov 25, 2004.

1. TecZ

TecZ Member

Hello ppl,
    I am going to buy a dvd burner.. i cant choose....
    Plz help,

I saw that Pioneer DVR-108D 16x is good but there are so many... sony, nec, Lg... which one is the best?

txs in advance

2. Doom1234

Doom1234 Guest

I think Pioneer 108 has to be the best since you can rip at 12x and burn 8x media up to 16x with no problems what so ever. I can even rip already burned media at 10x which I have never been able to do before on previous burners.

3. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I would go with LG for price, and the quality seems to be very good. I have an LG GSA-4120 and am getting near 1000 discs burnt, and have never had a coaster on any kind of media, I typically use Kodak because the price in stores is good but they are not well liked on this site. But I just go with what works for me, I tried Ritek GO4, and they always get read errors, but still work.

But for close to 1000 discs burnt and still going strong I can't complain.

4. TecZ

TecZ Member

uhum, txs for the advices.

Well, the price is not my problem right now. :)
    I think lg is good, but its really cheap, and that makes me think that is worst :/

Pioneer 108 has an average price and i think its good.

anyway keep giving your opinions.

Txs =)

5. kchev

kchev Regular member

NEC 3500A - about the best quality writer you can buy and also pretty cheap

BenQ 1620 - this drive has been getting some real good reviews and it is highly recommended also

6. TecZ

TecZ Member

:p thats why i cant decide, there are so many that are good that i dont know which one choose :p

7. kchev

kchev Regular member

8. pippas

pippas Member

I have a Pioneer 105, which has been excellent, but have recently bought an LG 4160, primarily to use the DVD RAM facility -- haven't tried the DL capability yet!
    So far, the LG has been perfect, despite being much cheaper than the Panasonic DVDRAM writers!

For me, 'cheaper' hasn't meant 'worse' - at least, so far!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

"The Best" is synonymous with Plextor. Superior build and superior performance :)

10. klinger

klinger Regular member

We always check out PC World on there reviews they always are pretty much right right-on we meant Lite-On

11. BAIHE

BAIHE Member

Plextor PX-708uf. I love the damn thing.

12. klinger

klinger Regular member

13. MrSpeed

MrSpeed Guest

One thing I would look at is that the burner you want to purchase works with the software you want to use. I have had problems with burners package with Roxio that would not work with Nero. I don’t know if they worked out
    these compatibility issues these days but I have been stung by this before.

14. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

I have the Plextor 708uf. My experience with it is as follows:

It plays perfectly. It writes to beall, verbatim and ridata perfectly at 4x. It writes to tdk cd-r media without a hitch. When I made my purchase it was the most expensive drive on the market from my recollection. Those are the only media and speeds I have used. I did write some dvd+r's at 8x and no problems but I'd rather write at 4x to be safe. The extra 7 minutes is minimal when only backing up a disc here or there.

My #1 reason for purchase was Plextors solid reputation for quality. Regards

15. HaiTac

HaiTac Member

16. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

Hey Tecz, when buying a DvD burner for the first time, try choosing the 1 that can be used in the future, like dual burner one where u can write 2 layers.
    2nd for compatibility, try to buy one that can write at 1x Speed with branded media like TDK, RItek Ridata, Sony, Maxwell. How u do this is by going to their website, check out their media and read their specfications, they will tell u which burners is compatible at burning 1x speed on their media.
    I alwways concern about speed is because my movies work just fine with my computer and ps2 console, but when I bring it to my sister's dvd player, it skips all the time.
    Every1 says speed don't matter, but just for precaution, stay on the safe side.
    3rd, try buy it at ebay.com, they even have brand new dvd writer with half price, so y go to best buy and talk to stupid ppl to get a dvd writer with twice as much.
    Hope this help

17. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hello everyone,

I bought the LG-4040B (4x) a long time ago, and I am still pleased with it.

I burn all my movies at (2x) max else I have skips and freeze on play back.

Could be the medias (E3works 4x, and Ridata G04 Unbranded 4x).

But very pleased with my LG and would probably try an other LG DVD Writer in the future.

18. cvanden

cvanden Member

will have this Piece of shit burner by emprex. im thinking of buying a new burner and from what i read is there anyone that has used or seen the difference between the pioneer and the LG burners in Quality of the picture when it burns. I know that pioneer has more of a name the LG but that does not mean crap. The I dont care about the burn speed i know that the slower u burn the better the quality. I know that i will eather buy a pioneer or a LG I was just looking to see if there was anyone that can help with my decision.

19. TecZ

TecZ Member

Hi guys,
    I had some problems with my internet connection.
    Meanwhile i've bought Pioneer DVR-108D 16x, and it works very well, its a beautiful machine. It does less noise than the other drives, and it burns and reads perfectly.
    The only problem is that its not very pretty...
    But it doesnt matter much.

Thanks for the advices ppl, i hope this thread helps more users when choosing their burner!
    Cya ;)

20. cvanden

cvanden Member

Ok now i want to buy a pioneer burner so now i was wondering what burner is better the pioneer DVR-108 or the DVR-A08XL. what the opinions that i can get will help thanks