1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide - XBox choices

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by flatusboy, Oct 14, 2007.

1. flatusboy

flatusboy Member

Greets all,

I'm very new with the XBox thing, always been a PS fan.
    I have acquired a couple XBoxes from a buddy of mine, one is a v1.0 and the other is a v1.6. They both have issues with the DVD drive though; Thomson (v1.0) and Phillips (v1.6), the Phillips is dead and the Thomson is going. I have no issues about buying a new drive, but I only want to get 1.

So, which version should I keep?

I don't know how (yet), but I eventually want to be swap HDD's for a bigger one and be able to load and play games from the HDD. With that info, which version?

Any help and/or any other tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Get a hold of Samsung dvd-drives. Thompson and Phillips have a high error rate but since Thompson drives are plentiful they are easy to fix and most of the time a simple POT tweak corrects laser failure. You should keep both boxes. One is newer that the other that's the only difference, think of one as a backup console. Xbox 1 consoles can be hard to find.

All xbox dvd drives are universal. You can softmod both boxes by using the dvd drive that works. You can do so much to a xbox like playing xbox games, emulators, music, movies, pictures, ect. from the internal hard drive.

Here's everything you need to know about xbox modding.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/536595#3246424

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  3. flatusboy

flatusboy Member

Thanks for the reply, I actually found that FAQ just before you posted. Lots of great info there, and all over this site...too much actually. I find myself getting side tracked all the time. I just need to pick a topic and stick with it :p

4. lowkey

lowkey Member

My 2 cents...as long as the dvd drives are currently working I would get a bigger hdd and then softmod the boxes. Upgrade to the bigger hdd and go from there. You can always "un-softmod". The advantage of modding is the fact that you can do almost anything you want with the Xbox after. I started a few months ago out of boredom and minimal cash. I didn't want to get a new 360 or PS3 until the bugs of the first few generations are worked out. I love my Xbox now...it has become one of the most vital components of my home entertainment setup. And as you have already noticed...there is a massive amount of info here in these forums as well as some really knowledgeable and helpful people. You will not regret modding your box.