1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP ME! my BURNING frustrations with the 4.7 Gb size limit on DVD-R

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by marySadie, Jun 24, 2003.

1. marySadie

marySadie Member

I am soooo frustrated. I have successfully ripped one of my DVD movies for back-up, but the total size of all the .vob, .bup, and .ifo files is far FAR greater than any normal DVD-R can hold (it's 7.88 Gb). I have the Nero trial-version, and a proper DVD-R drive, but I can't possibly burn all those files onto one disc. Are there any one-sided DVD-Rs with more than 4.7 Gb? How on earth did the movie people fit it all onto one disc?? Ahhhhhhh! I know it's too much to ask for but I want to know if there is a way that I can burn the entire chunk of files onto one 1-sided DVD-R, without noticeably compromising quality, and without having to give up any of the menu files. Should I compress it into Divx format or something?

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

hey

first of all its not 4.7gb more like 4.3gbs that fit on a dvd-r! You cant fit them all one on disc. DVD-R is dvd-5, dvd-9 is used by the movie industries! What did u use to rip the dvd??

3. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi marysadie, divx is an option, but you will be unable to play it in your home dvd player, unless you have a kiss player or something similair. I ave succesfully used smartripper, dvd2one and nero for my backups and it works great. I backed up Blade2, which was about 7gig, i used dvd2one and burnt it at 2x with nero, it plays perfect menus and all, my brother gets to use the backup, i dont trust him with my originals!!!
    Hope it helps

4. marySadie

marySadie Member

Thanks for the helpful advice, DMW! And Dela, I actually went back to look for something more useful than CladDVD, which, if you were wondering, was what I originally used to rip the files. I recently found something called DVD Shrink 2.3 that actually rips files and compresses them into one 4.7 Gb DVD-R. The quality compromise is not even noticeable [until the credits, which doesn't really bother me personally] and it is definitely possible to fit the entire movie onto one 4.7 Gb DVD-R. By using the re-authoring feature on DVD Shrink, I was able to edit out certain space-occuping elements such as the menu, and certain unneeded audio elements such as DTS audio (Dolby Digital Surround is better anyways) and get rid of some language subtitle options: English, French, Spanish -- whatever you choose; i then used Nero thus making it playable on my DVD player. It's pretty useful. You guys should consider trying it out if you already haven't. Thanks again for the help.

5. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hey mariesadie, glad you found your solution, yeah ive used this program, it is good isnt it, i only started using DVD2ONE because i was told it was quicker and it is for me.
    Glad your sorted.

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Yep, I'm a DVD2One man aswell, love it completely, does exactly what I want lightening fast!