1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me please

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Judas_au, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Judas_au

Judas_au Member

Iam not a noob ... in fact i have sucessfully burnt well over 500 movies.... but i have come across a problem in which i cant solve.
    i have just upgraded my burner from a Hp dvd200i to the quicker pioneer dvr106d , now i have no trouble burning movies ... but i cant for the life of me read or make iso's off of already burnt discs. i have just upgraded my win2000 pro to xp pro sv. pack 1 i have upgraded my firmware and aspi and have tried 3 different disks in both my pioneer burner and reader...i have tried with 3 different programs with out success.
    i am using
    Athlon 1.4 gig
    768 ram'
    gforce fx 5200
    epox mb

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

Why do you want to make ISO's of already copied disks??

I would suggest you just do a read / burn sequence instead, for the following reasons:

1 - Creating an ISO and burning from it does not allow for any verification of an error-free burn, whereas the normal read / burn / verify does

2 - A read / burn sequence is just as fast as an ISO create / burn sequence, the benefit being it is in a format the PC (and you) can read / examine / verify natively.

3 - Most, if not all, ripping programs (DVD Decrypter for one) will rip a copied disk just as fast as creating an ISO, but will give feedback on any read errors (or problems reading) that indicate a less than perfect copy may ensue - ISO creation very rarely gives file level error reporting (a MAJOR drawback).

If you MUST go the ISO route, aquire a dedicated program (WinISO, ISOBuster etc. etc.), they are much better than the ISO routines in your burner software.

Hope this helps...

3. Judas_au

Judas_au Member

thanx for the reply...but i dont think thats the solution..i have tried doing the reading by Iso mode and file mode, with Dvd decrypter and Nero and Clonedvd and DVDshrink most of these wont allow me to read at all (let alone save the files to disk) and when i have managed to save the files and reburn them the picture is so baddly burnt its un watchable

i have a feeling is something to do with the aspi or xp upgrade ......

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Hey drchips, nice info... good to know.

5. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Are you sure your drive is not having problems reading the DVD? You shouldn't have any problems if what you are trying to do is to make another copy of a movie you have already done before.

If you have a dvd-rom and a burner, check to see whether or not you have the same problem on both.

6. tjones.tx

tjones.tx Member

I am having difficulty that is somewhat simular i nature, I need HELP, recently I downloaded a upgrade of a DVD back-up product. Every since I cannot get any program to burn a viewable back-up DVD. Prior to this download all was ok not perfect but OK. I have finally discovered my issue I think, somehow I have lost my ASPI, I have downloaded the adaptic update ASPI as well as the ASPI checker from Doom 9. The adeptic checker states that all updates are functioning properly and installed the Doom 9 checker gives me an error RED message saying the ASPI updates I have installed replaced a newer version. Now, I dont have a clue of how I lost the ASPI in the first place, but the restore option will not help me, I run Windows XP, today I am considering the purchase of Nero 6, will this program help me correct the ASPI descrepancy ? If not what can I do ?

7. Judas_au

Judas_au Member

thanx for the replies......i have tried on both my drives and have tried with movies burnt on three different burners ..it just dosnt like reading burnt movies...im wondering if it may be "dvd shrink" all movies were burnt with that program. With my old burner i could read burnt movies but not 100 % of the time.

oh by the way nero 6 will not fix this problem

anyways im reformatting and trying xp from scratch not upgrading 2000

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I run Nero 6 Ultra Edition & if you look in Nero Info Tools [that comes in the package]
    Open [bold]Nero Info Tool[/bold] then hit [bold]ASPI[/bold] tab.... it will probably show 'ASPI not installed' in dialogue box at the bottom.
    BUT if you hit the drop down box you'll have 'Nero ASPI' option...once you click on this you'll see the dialogue box change to 'ASPI is installed and working correctly' . And you will also have the details of Nero;

File__________Version_____Length_______Date
    ------------------------------------------
    WNASPI32.dll__2.0.1.56___163910bytes__April 2nd

This is the only ASPI layer I have ever needed !!: ]-
    _

Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You could also check to see if DMA is enabled for all drives.

10. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

11. tjones.tx

tjones.tx Member

Thanks To Everyone !

I did download the force ASPI,and finally the checker turned green, but back-up after still would not play,
    So I brought Nero 6, trying to began and master the Shrink/Decrypter burn process, have all guides.

12. herbsman

This is a very good point , did you check this at all ? ;)

13. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well if you have Nero 6 you might as well learn to use Recode. You will still need Decrypter to rip. It's a good program that does everthing Shrink does and more (except for ripping). For Movie only start in 'Remake a DVD' (similiar to re-author in shrink).

Here's a .pdf for Recode.
    http://www.nero.com/en/632101090030238.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  14. dvdlover7

dvdlover7 Guest

juda! i believe you very good at burning dvd...i guess your problem is computer may not can handle pioneer 106..before i have amd duron 850 , it could'n handle 106 that why i have to upgrade my pc...my pc now is
    p4 3.0g 800
    1 gig ddr 400
    leadtek fx5900
    2x120gig sata seagate

with this i have no problem with any dvd copy now...

15. herbsman

dvdlover7:
    I have a system that has AMD 900 & it runs a Pioneer 104 no problem , has done for a good couple of years..!!:)

16. Judas_au

Judas_au Member

the plot thickens!!
    i took the pioneer 106 reader out of my burning machine (left the burner in there) and put it in my gaming machine
    - P4 2.4 gig
    768 ddr ram
    G-force fx5600xt 256 meg

it has the exact same operating system as the other machine

and it had no troubles doing what i wanted. yet the same dvd rom wouldnt let me do it on the other machine.

Herbsman im pretty sure my 1.4gig AMD with 768 ram is beefy enough to run the burner.

*still scratching my head*
    thanx

17. herbsman

Try reading more carefully as I quite clearly stated that reply I had given to [bold]dvdlover7[/bold]

;)