1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me please

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by maDdoggnz, Feb 19, 2007.

1. maDdoggnz

maDdoggnz Regular member

hey i dont know what has happend to my computer i went and started it up 2day when i got home from work.And it started fine but when windows booted up there is a
    !!!! in the corner that says
    ok well i have tryed that and every time the blue screen pops up it says that the disk check has been cancled ???? every time i dont push anything it just canclels ??? please help me what has happend ??

2. bkf

bkf Guest

New computer?

3. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

just reboot and while you are butting up hit the f8 key and when you come to the screen that asks how you want to proceed highlight the bootup with cd suport and put your instal disk in and do a windows repair and that will fix your problem good luck

4. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Even easier,boot up in safe mode.

If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
    * Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
    * Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    * Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
    * Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

When the computer is started in safe mode,restore your computer to a working date.
    The following is showing you how to do so:

First a little information on restore points: System Restore is a feature of Windows XP that allows you to restore your computer to a previous known working state in the event of a problem. This is done without loss of personal files or data such as word processing documents, spreadsheets, music, images, etc. This feature is enabled by default and runs in the background making backups after certain events happen on your computer. System restore functions are only available to an administrator of the computer, therefore if you are not an administrator, you will not be able to follow this tutorial.

System Restore protects your computer by creating backups of vital system configurations and files. These backups are known as restore points. These restore points are created before certain events take place in order to give you a recourse in case something bad happens during that event. These events are as follows:

* If you install a new application and that application's installation program is compliant with the System Restore API, which most are these days, then a new restore point will be created.
    * Installation of Microsoft security and OS updates will trigger a Restore Point creation.
    * If you choose to use system restore to restore to a previous restore point, system restore will create a new restore point prior to restoring a previous state in case something goes wrong.
    * Before a Microsoft Backup Utility Recovery operation.
    * Before installing an Unsigned driver.
    * By manually creating a new restore point.
    * By default at a 24 hour interval a new restore point will be made. This restore point will only be made if the system is in an idle state.
    * If system restore is disabled and then reenabled a new restore point will be made.

These restore points contain configuration and settings and files that are necessary for your computer to run correctly. The following are some of the settings and files that are saved in a Restore Point:

* Registry (Contains Configuration information for application, user, and operating system settings)
    * Windows File Protection files in the dllscache folder. (Used for protecting system files)
    * COM+ Database
    * Windows Management Instrumentation Database
    * IIS Metabase (Contains configuration for Internet Information Server)
    * Files with extensions listed in the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK
    * Local Profiles

What System Restore does not store in a Restore Point include:

* Windows XP passwords and hints are not restored. This is done so that you do not by accident restore an old password and then lock yourself out of the computer..
    * Microsoft Internet Explorer and Content Advisor passwords and hints are not restored.
    * Any file types not monitored by System Restore like personal data files e.g. .doc, .jpg, .txt etc.
    * Items listed in both Filesnottobackup and KeysnottoRestore (More on that later)
    * User-created data stored in the user profile
    * Contents of redirected folders

The amount of space a System Restore will allocate towards its use is, by default, 12 percent of your total useable space on the particular partition being monitored if the partition is greater than 4GB, otherwise it will use up to 400 MB. This amount can be adjusted per partition in the System Restore tab in your System control panel. If you have less than 200 MB, system restore will be disabled until the amount of available space rises above 200 MB. If system restore attempts to make a new restore point, and that restore point would put you past the allocated amount of storage that system restore can use, system restore will delete the oldest restore point automatically to create more room for the new one.
    NOTE: You need to be logged in as an Administrator to administer System Restore.

RESTORING XP TO A PREVIOUS STATE

To restore Windows XP to a previous restore point you need to open the System Restore Utility. To open the utility, go to your System Tools group under Accessories in your Programs menu. Then click on the System Restore icon. You will be presented with a screen.

You should select the radio button that is labeled "Restore my computer to an earlier time". When that is selected press the Next button.

At this point you should select a restore point that you would like to restore. If a particular day has any restore points created on it the date will be in bold.
    At this point you will prompted with a confirmation as to whether or not you want to continue. If you do want to continue, you should press the Next button again, otherwise press cancel. System restore will then shut down all open applications and reboot the computer.

After the computer is rebooted you will see a screen that contains information , confirming that the restoration to the restore point is complete.

at this point the computer will be rid of the problem that was occuring before the system restore.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial56.html