1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me restore a folder from a BU disk to a selected path

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Brumac, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Brumac

Brumac Member

I have used Nero BackItUp (Nero 6 OEM) to create DVD backup disks. I want to restore two folders and their content from my DVD backup disks to my hard drive, but I want them to be installed on a selected path rather than the original path. How do I do that? See my problem below. Note: I actually need to restore 13 GB of data this way.

Background
    · Backup disk file structure is:
    o C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\My Documents
    o Folder A and Folder C exist in this My Documents folder.
    · Hard disk file structure is:
    o C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents
    · I want to restore Folder A and Folder C from the My Documents folder in the backup disk to the My Documents folder on the hard disk. Notice the slight difference in pathname.

Procedure I used
    · On the Restore Wizard dialog box, I have established the Backup Information File from my backup disk. I have also selected “Restore on Selected Path” and have entered the Restore Path as C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents.
    · On the "Select Files and Folders" dialog box, I checked the boxes for Folder A and Folder B. Their boxes contain a bold checkmark. The program placed a light gray checkmark in the boxes for each of the folders in the path name on the backup disk
    · I executed the restore operation. Folder A and Folder C were restored to the My Documents folder on the hard disk as desired. However, the file structure from the backup disk was also transferred to the hard disk. Therefore, the path to Folders A is now
    o C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\My Documents\Folder A
    I want it to be
    o C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Folder A

Question
    · The new hard disk pathname to Folder A is ridiculous. How can I avoid putting folders for the backup pathname onto the hard disk but still include the folders and their contents that are within Folder A?

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I can't answer the question for the future, but is there some reason why you can't just move Folder A and Folder C to the folder:-

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents

then delete the whole (now empty) folder tree below that, namely

C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\My Documents\ ?

Can you actually have a folder called "C:" as a sub folder of My Documents? Windows XP won't let me create one with that name.

3. Brumac

Brumac Member

If I use BackItUp to restore Folder A and Folder C to C:Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents, it does include the following folders: C (not C:), Documents and Settings, Owner, My Documents - all from the backup disk.

Yes, I could (1) install everything (including the file structure) from my backup disks to the hard disk folders, (2) move the folders I want from the backup file structure to the hard disk file structure as desired, (3) delete the backup file structure after it has been emptied. That will require a lot of time-consuming work because I have a lot of folders and files (total of 13 GB) to move. I had hoped that BackItUp could do it for me, but apparently it will not.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Nero Backitup is much like Windows backup.It insists on recreating the path when you restore to a different folder.
    'Genie Backup Manager' lets you restore where you please and the GUI is much simpler.Try for 30 days.
    http://www.genie-soft.com/products/products.html

I've tried lots of freeware, but they don't measure up.

5. Brumac

Brumac Member

Thank You all.

I'll have to go to plan B for my big job. That is, use BackItUp to install everything (on my set of 3 backup disks - 13 GB) using the original path. That places the backup folder/files on the hard drive, but not in the folder where I wanted it to be. Then I will (a) move the individual folders where I want and (b) delete the redundant folders when they are empty or no longer needed.

The reason for my dilema is this. I backed up my hard drive and then had a commercial service reformat the hard drive and re-install Win XP SP2. When they reinstalled Win XP, the user folder was named "Owner". The User folder on my backup had my name instead of "Owner". And the user folder cannot be removed or renamed. And I don't want to have two separate users defined for my file structure. Remember (if you do an extensive backup like this) to use the same folder names for your re-installed operating system as you had for your backup.

6. attar

attar Senior member

Is it possible to create a new admin user(My Name)and restore the files.
    Then delete 'Owner'??

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Why not just use Winrar? Or Norton Ghost?

8. Brumac

Brumac Member

To Attar

Apparently, the folder named "Owner" is the folder that establishes an individual account within Win XP. It cannot be removed or renamed (I tried). If I could rename it I wouldn't have a problem. I could create "My Name" as another, parallel account, but I don't want to do that.