1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me update the U.S. firmware for Pana DVD DRM-E80H Japan?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by yellowriv, Mar 8, 2010.

1. yellowriv

yellowriv Member

I have a Panasonic DRM-E80H Japan. I can not read the Japanese language. I downloaded U.S. firmware. I can update the firmware for dvd japan us is not? If broken, can not update firmware Left japan?
    Thanks!

2. yellowriv

yellowriv Member

Help me! Please.
    Can I update the us firmware for panasonic DVD DRM E80H Japan verion?

3. jhvance

jhvance Member

I don't read Japanese either, but using Google's "translate" webpage <http://translate.google.com/> may prove helpful in your efforts to find the Japan-specific firmware update or identify whether the US firmware version is identical.

One thing, though -- the correct model # is DMR-E80H, not DRM-E80H. The US-focused firmware download page isn't particularly helpful in its explanation of what the upgrade resolves.

You can also click on the "international support" link on Panasonic's US website, and still get English-language versions of webpages that might prove more helpful than using Google's translation, as with it I was getting some webpage results that simply identified "XML error" rather than the full layout and set of Japanese characters displayed before I toggled the "translate" button. Using that "international support" option and inputting the correct model #, the results don't seem to indicate an available firmware upgrade but you might pursue further each of the links displayed at:

<http://vftr.panasonic.co.jp/en/search.x?ie=ISO-8859-1&q=DMR-E80H>

Good luck!

4. yellowriv

yellowriv Member

My DVD is: Panasonic DMR-E80H Progressive-Scan DVD Player/Recorder with Hard Drive , Silver

[​IMG]
    Thank you! I read the translation from google.
    But my problem is my DVD is only a Japanese language version. I want to switch to English. My question is: Can I update us.firmware for that?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  5. jhvance

jhvance Member

I don't think that installing a US (English-language) firmware update in a Japanese-language model will change the language for the internal screens and options as you hope, but I honestly don't know for certain. Is there any authorized Panasonic Service Center nearby where you are located so you could make an inquiry in person to one of the techs who would have more relevant knowledge about the unit?

If not, here are two suggestions:

1. Post the query directly to Panasonic by e-mail first via their online webpage to ask if a US-based firmware upgrade will change the base language function in your Japanese model to English as you desire, and wait for response from the technical staff (there may be an immediate auto-response that simply acknowledges receipt of your query).

<http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Contact-Us.2>

2. Download both the Japanese-language firmware update and English-language update and burn them to separate DVDs before making any attempt to install the latter -- if the installation of the English-language version won't proceed (the unit may reject the attempt because of some "wrong model" internal check function) or goes awry, you'll have a version which can hopefully install/update that particular unit though still in Japanese. WARNING: It may be that you'll "brick" (i.e., render completely inoperative) the unit if that US firmware garbles the ROM contents so it won't subsequently boot and accept or even recognize the Japanese firmware DVD, which would then require service by Panasonic (or an authorized service provider) to correct. FYI, the direct link for the US-based firmware upgrade is:

<ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/panasonic/call_center/firmware/DVD_REC/DMRE80/Main/PANA_DVD.FRM>

You would be able to download the Japanese version through using that Google-translate capability to find the proper webpage and download link. It's possible the file you would download from there would have the same filename, but whether it's the exact same file (i.e., one firmware update for all versions of a particular model regardless of country, which probably wouldn't change the base language portion of the ROM contents) or there are different file versions by country (what you're hoping for, I believe) isn't clear -- if the download URL is EXACTLY the same, though, it would be a pretty good indication that it's universally applicable and probably wouldn't change the language function. However, that quesion would be something to include in your initial query to Panasonic so you'll hopefully get a more detailed and definitive explaination in their response.