1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[HELP] missing drivers and something wrong with internet connection[HELP]

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DTROOPER, Aug 21, 2008.

1. DTROOPER

DTROOPER Member

well, my uncle gave me a computer yesterday that a friend of his gave to him some years ago. and it looks to me like an alien-ware computer, but i think it's custom built. but anyways...
    it had one hard drive, which was corrupter so i wiped with Drive Scrubber. and that removes everything including the OS so i put in my HD with WinXP.
    and i have 4 problems. and a couple others that i don;t feel quite like going into until i complete these 4.

1. whenever i try to listen to music or anything that requires output sound. i get an error that says:
    NullSoft DirectSound output v2.47 (d) error
    Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error Code: 88780078

2. it said drivers in the above problem so i checked the device manager to find that there were 3 problems including this one. the second one is one that says : RAID Controller and another that says Ethernet Controller. all of these have error code (28) "The drivers for this device are not installed". and i would most likely have the ethernet and the raid controllers fixed, but they have o information on then other than the location and all of the stuff in the details tab.

3. and the Ethernet Controller leads me to this one. internet is not working for the computer. but t works for this laptop. i think that the ethernet controller drive has something to do with the ethernet port. but when i plug it in on the back, it still lights up orange.

any questions or suggestions feel free to post.

-Darrel

2. varnull

varnull Guest

You are totally right with your guess about missing drivers...

The raid one is unusual, I wouldn't have thought you need it.

sound hardware appears to be unknown.. wouldn't want to guess.. possibly cmi8338/8738 or something else xp doesn't have drivers for (quite a lot actually)

ethernet controller.. same problem..

people advise using this http://majorgeeks.com/download1385.html but I would use puppylinux because it supports everything. ;)

3. DTROOPER

DTROOPER Member

is the ethernet controller one disabling the internet on that machine? or is it a different problem?

EDIT: check this out. i found it on google.

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=95451

read the guys problem (1st post) and the first post by zxc47
    -------------------
    EDIT2: if you cant find out what the names of the other drivers/devices are then install this program:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    for quick steps to see what they are:
    1.when the program opens choose devices on the side
    2.choose windows devices
    3. scroll to the bottom and click the [+] to the left of the unknown devices and it will display them as on the device manager, but below on "PCI Device" it says what it is.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It appears that part of your problem is, you put in a XP drive that came from another computer.

Outside of needing the drivers, for whatever is in the Alien-ware computer, you should have installed XP, clean, to a hard drive.