1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Modded xbox and live?!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Bat_man, Jan 13, 2005.

1. kakeakeai

kakeakeai Regular member

if your router has a static ip then use static ip make sure it will work with it. mine uses all ips 192.168.2.0-192.168.2.99 for me the xbox would have to fit in that range to work.

2. Bat_man

Bat_man Member

See man that IP stuff means nofin to me! Sorry

3. kakeakeai

kakeakeai Regular member

what do u mean to connect you have to configure the network settings and that has to do with the ip adress.

4. NoNameNow

NoNameNow Guest

Hey Bat's, do you know anyone that has a good knowledge about computers and networking? If you do I would advice to get help from him/her before you start messing with the xbox anymore. You might accidentally start changing or removing files you would need.

5. Bat_man

Bat_man Member

Ok i think ive got a solution to the whole 'hooking it up to the PC' problem. ive downloaded configmagic and ive created an iso from it coz i was told that i can just burn it to dvd and run it in the xbox that way. I wud write it to a CD-R but my xbox's dvd drive wont recognise them. THis is where ive got the problem i hope you can help me with...when i try to burn the image to a disc using nero(all of which i was told to do) it wont let me! Can any1 offer advice,any1 out there tried burnin configmagic to a disc?

Thanx in advance

6. NoNameNow

NoNameNow Guest

your xbox will recognize CD-RW's not all brands but most. Well mine did. I bought three different CD-RW's which were Sony, Memorex, and HP. The one I had most success with are the HP cd's.
    So try buying yourself like those 3 or 5 pack CD-RW's and try that out unless anyone else has a better solution.

7. Twinski

Twinski Regular member

This is what you do. If you want to go onto live and you havent been on there before with the stock HDD it is easy. What kind of chip do you have? If you have a X3 hold the power button down for like a second and let off it shoudl turn red and then its off. And if you have a upgraded hdd make sure its locked and you should be fine. It doesnt matter if you have unsigned code on your xbox. M$ wont scna your hdd, but make sure its locked and your chip is off and you havent signed on live with the stock hdd and you should be safe.

8. elliot01

elliot01 Guest

9. Jez_Gafys

Jez_Gafys Member

Below are the simple guide lines for playing online using mod chips, upgraded HDs, etc

[bold]How to play on Xbox Live with a non-flashable modded Xbox[/bold]
    The most important thing to know is that your MS dash must be named xboxdash.xbe. When you first run Xbox Live, it will update that file with the new MS dash with the Live tab. So, you may ask "What about EvolutionX?" Well, sorry guys, but you will have to run EvolutionX off a CD.

So now that you know that your MS dash has to be xboxdash.xbe, you will have to install a switch on your modchip. The switch will disable it, or enable the modchip.

The most important thing when playing on Live with a modded Xbox is that you must always have the modchip off when playing on Live. Turn your modchip off, and then power on Xbox. It is always best to have the modchip off, even when you are installing Live for the first time.

Now, if you want to play backups, turn your modchip on and power on Xbox. You can boot your EvolutionX CD and load your backups off the HD, or you can boot your backup CDs. However, you must make sure you DO NOT access any Live-oriented tabs within the game. DO NOT select "Download Content", "Play Live", etc. tabs in a game. When doing so, your Xbox will connect to Live, and MS will detect a modified BIOS, and you will then soon be banned.

[bold]How to play on Xbox Live with a flashable modded Xbox[/bold]
    So, you have the best field of modchips out there, so you have better options. The first thing you want to do is flash your modchip with a BIOS that boots a file another than xboxdash.xbe. For example, flash with a BIOS that will load evoxdash.xbe first. You can store your EvolutionX dash on your HD, and have it be evoxdash.xbe. But, be sure you keep your MS dash as xboxdash.xbe. That file will be updated when you first install Live and having the MS dash as xboxdash.xbe will make it a good update.

If you have a X2 PRO, there is an external on/off switch. Just make sure when you boot up your xbox, the switch is set to off.

For those of you with the Matrix, you will set your Matrix in mode 3. How mode 3 works is, your flashed BIOS will load when the XBox is powered on. This means the modchip is on, and you can check that by looking inside the Xbox at the modchip and it will have a green LED. But, for those who want a nice, put together Xbox, I recommend getting a BIOS that is a colormod. So, when your Xbox boots, your Xbox logo will be blue for example meaning the modchip is on.

So, you are now at your EvolutionX dash or MS dash with the modchip on. You will then run a game (an original or a backup) or even a homebrewed program, and when the game is running, press the big eject button. Your Xbox will reboot and the original BIOS will load. The normal green Xbox logo will show and this means the modchip is off. Also, the modchip will now show the red LED.

As I said above, you must make sure you DO NOT access any Live-oriented tabs within the game when the modchip is on. DO NOT select "Download Content", "Play Live", etc. tabs in a game. When doing so, your Xbox will connect to Live, and MS will detect a modified BIOS, and you will then soon be banned.

[bold]How to play on Live with an upgraded HD[/bold]
    Playing on Live is easy with an upgraded HD. It must always be locked. The original MS BIOS, when the modchip is off, demands a locked HD or else your Xbox won't boot. You may ask if a locked HD is ok to do with the modchip on. Yes, it's okay.

Relating to the xboxdash.xbe file, this must be in the root of C:\

As a quick note, if you are in a situation where you must run the EvolutionX CD, you can keep all your EvolutionX files (skins folder, evox.ini, etc) in their usual places on the HD, as you just will need default.xbe (EvolutionX dash) on the CD.

[bold]How to get unbanned from Xbox Live[/bold]
    So, you made a mistake. Your "little brother" selected a Live tab with the modchip on and now you are banned. Well, you can get unbanned. Xbox Live just bans your Xbox's HD key. Not your gamer account.

To get unbanned, you MUST obtain an unbanned EEPROM. These are not posted at the usual places, you must get it from a friend who has a modded Xbox and doesn't plan to go on Xbox Live. To update your Xbox's EEPROM with a unbanned EEPROM, download Configmagic and use that program. The program is easy to use and it is all menu driven.

10. sowerby

sowerby Member

You can use a programme called xbox connect to play online and there is a free version on it and it plays most xbox live enable only if they have a system link.

11. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

You could use a laptop drive, and your xbox stock hdd, and place them both in there, and use a switch to control which one you want to turn on :)

12. Jez_Gafys

Jez_Gafys Member

yes you can use the xbox connect but as stated the game needs to support system link and it would mean you would have to leave your PC on while you play on the xbox, and some ppl dont have PCs (connect via internet cafes etc) and so would be useless

13. xb0xm0dz

xb0xm0dz Member

14. dyinman

dyinman Member

I have news for everybody. Put some of these stupid rumors to rest...

First, you can run the backends of both xbconnect and xlink kai (which is the one i recommend) on u'r pc as long as it's on the same network as the xbox. There are frontends to use in conjunction with it for the xbox, so you never have to leave u'r xbox ever again.
    I think the xbconnect frontend comes with the nexbc dash, and the xlink kai frontend comes with the newest versions of XBMC (xbox media center). This works great by the way.

How to play on Live with a modded box:
    I have softmodded several boxes and many of them are still on live to this day... with bigger hard drives and without.... so I know what I'm talking about. Listen up kiddies.

1) This one should be obvious. NEVER sign on live while the mod is on. This will get you banned incredibly fast, as you deserve it you idiot. That means, either shut of your modchip (I recommend shutting off as compared to "stealth" mode on certain chips), or if you are softmodded, just shut off the xbox with a RETAIL game disc in... and boot it up from the game. If it's an actual and not copied game, you should be fine.
    This also means you should never try to manage your account from the M$dashboard, unless you remove the mod first (or your mod chip is turned off). For softmodders, you are still running your modified bios even while running the m$ dash unless u remove the mod first.

2)TURN OFF auto sign in features. Please note that some games try to sign in automatically (i think Tony Hawk Underground is one of them). If your mod is on during the sign in, you'll be banned. So make sure you aren't playing a game with auto sign-in features with the mod on. That would suck, you moron.

3)Your m$dash should be named xboxdash.xbe... and it should be unmodified. Any changes and your toast. If you need to know how to accomplish this... read somewhere else. This is the only post I'm making on this.

4)The marriage theory with eeproms and hdd keys is true. That means if you signed on live, and then tried to upgrade your hdd.... first back up your live account. Then delete it off your hard drive. Then you run configmagic, load a new eeprom (do this correctly!!!), and RE-LOCK YOUR HDD WITH THE NEW EEPROM! You should have a new hdd key. If not, you didn't do it right. Stupid people...
    A new eeprom from an xbox that has never gone on live, or never will go on live will work great. After you've done these steps, boot up u'r unmodded xbox (or turn mods off), go to live accounts, and do the account recovery (this is the safest, rather than just recopying u'r old live account off the mem card)

5)KEEP YOUR HARD DRIVE LOCKED!

6)Don't be a dumb#$!%

I think I covered just about everything. If not, i'll edit this post later, but I'm sure I got it all.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  15. 121flame

121flame Member

what does this do if do it?. get you unbanned is what i heard with the eeproms stuff

16. graymon32

graymon32 Member

i have played xbox live already i have 2 accounts on my xbox if i get a mod chip and turn it off will i still be able to play xbox live

17. Ravoz

Ravoz Member

Nope, MS will notice the change in details of the xbox.

But this is what im confused at..if you cancel ur membership and sign up with a modded xbox will you get banned?

18. 121flame

121flame Member

Would you honestly cancel a £40[$50] subscription just to be able to play online with an easyily detected mod chip?

19. MRSIRCOOK

MRSIRCOOK Regular member

i kinda have this problem now, i think my cousin came by me one day and missed and turned the xbxox on with the mod chip on, since then i cant get back onto xbox live, though it was very quickly afterward i disconnected the network cable, would it still have been picked up that quickly, and if this is what has happened, how can i get back in good standing with the xbox live people...holla back

20. 121flame

121flame Member

Hallo again, eeeeerm, i dont think you can get connected back to x live unless you buy a new xbox.:/ theres a load of this EEPROMs stuff

that what the xbox live connection tests for validation 1st. so if that things invalid - your stuffed