1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! My computer resets itself when burning DVD's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Rastamon, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Rastamon

Rastamon Member

My computer will just reset itself when burning DVD's and sometimes with CD-r's. It also happens sometimes when im downloading multiple things.

My specs are

Amd 1.2
    Abit Kt7E Mobo
    Maxtor 160 GB hd
    3 256 pci133 ram
    1 sony dvd-rw DRU-710A
    GEforce FX5200

My Case is an Antec with a 300w psu.

I have had these problems before i got the dvd burner (2 days ago), and ive heard many explanations of why it would do this.

Im using DVD shrink to encode the dvd, then burning with Nero. It will encode and shrink just fine. But when i actually burn the movie, it will get anywhere from 20-100 percent finished, then just reboot. Out of the 18 blank dvd's ive burned, 3 have worked.

This is crazy, please help!!!

Thanks.

2. J_man

J_man Regular member

Check for virus, do a defrag and make sure your processor fan is still working.
    Sounds like your processor is over heating cause reboot.

3. Rastamon

Rastamon Member

The Processor fan is working just fine. Ran Memtest86 and passed all the tests. The only thing i can think of is the power supply has perhaps gone bad. My computer runs just fine until i start to download 1 or more things at a time from Mirc. Or when im burning a CD or DVD. It will usually stay stable for a Music CD, but for DVD's ive gotten 3/20 successful ones. It sucks.

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You have posted this problem in other fourm places. your not supost to cross post threads.

As I said in the other forum you posted. I had same problem and it was caused by overcloking of the CPU had to lower it a little. Have you overclocked it? sounds to me its a problem with the CPU or somthing on the mother board over loading it.

5. J_man

J_man Regular member

Your problem still sounds like CPU overheating. Everything seems fine during normal operation,then when the CPU is put under heavy load(downloading and burning DVD's the computer is shutting down.

6. Rastamon

Rastamon Member

Well i bought a new power supply and it is still having the problems. My processor has a decent fan attached to it. I dont think this would be the problem. I havent overclocked the processor at all, but im trying now to underclock it. Just to see if this will help. The only other thing it could be is the mobo. Ill admit, its pretty old. I just need to solve this damn problem.

7. Horus1966

Horus1966 Member

Have you got more than 1 burning software installed i had similar prob turned out that the burning software i had installed were conflicting with each other

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Try ussing a program that shows your CPU usage and temp you can uasly find them out there. Watch the tempture see if it spikes up if so its the CPU or somthing on your mother board over loading it. I heard alot use this program i duno if its free or not but check it out

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

9. Rastamon

Rastamon Member

So i checked out the speedfan thing, and all my temps were perfect through the burn. But when it rebooted this time, i checked the error. it was:

PAGE FAULT IN A NONPAGED AREA

Any suggestions, please, they are welcome.

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

could be a RAM problem. I see you list 3 256 ram in it? Have you added any new memeroy to it? If so take out that memroy stick and see if you get the problem if not try taking out each RAM and trying to use the 2 other ones with it? could be maybe 1 of your RAM sticks are bad.

11. Chris05

Chris05 Member

I'm having the same problem. I have'nt been able to burn a single DVD yet. Each time I try, I get somewhere between 15 & 25 % complete when the computer shuts down and reboots. I have the same DVD burner, a Sony DRU-710A. Not sure if the problem is with the drive or with my computer. My CD burner works fine.

My specs are:
    WIN XP
    Pent 4 CPU 1500MHZ
    1.50 GHz
    512 MB Ram

12. Rastamon

Rastamon Member

I tried all 3 sticks of memory one at a time while burning a DVD last night.

The first stick my computer rebooted itself. I believe it was a
    IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL
    error.

The second stick burned the DVD 100%, but while finalizing, and error saying could not burn popped up and the computer just locked up, forcing me to reset. Although, the DVD burned properly. Strange.

The third stick, while encoding the DVD, said Out of Memory. I figured maybe I had something open, so I retried. It reencoded and burned up to about 90% then gave me a PAGE_FAULT_IN_A_NONPAGED_AREA error.

When I check out Event Viewer I get this

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Source: ACPI
    Event: 4

I got two Event #4's and two event #5's.

The only other thing i can think of is just buying a new Mobo with some DDR ram and hope this solves this crap.

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

14. DynoO

DynoO Member

mine did the same thing till i disabled viewing preview of the movie in DVD Shrink if ur using it

15. Chris05

Chris05 Member

I figured out what was causing my computer to reset. I was saving the encoded DVD onto a secondary (slave) drive. The problem was with the slave drive. Not sure exactly what was causing the failure, but decided to save the encoded DVD directly to my master drive. The DVD burned the way it was supposed to. Rastamon, you may want to check the hard drive that you were saving your encoded DVD to.

Good Luck.

16. Rastamon

Rastamon Member

Well, Im glad your problem is solved! Unforunately, I was saving the Encoded dvd to my only (master obviously) HD. Im pretty sure the problem for me lies within my old ass mobo.

I ordered a new one from newegg and some new ram. I hope this solves my problem, as it is the only part i havent recently upgraded. I guess ill find out on Friday, when it is sched to arrive.

Ill hit you guys back up when i install all the new parts and find out if i get to be happy, or toss this computer out the second story window.

peace.