1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help.... my PS2 is skipping...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by simplejay, Feb 26, 2003.

1. simplejay

simplejay Member

Hello everyone.... i'm having problems with my PS2 lately..!!! for some reason after i started playing Kingdom Hearts about 15 hours in... not all on the same day.. it started to freeze.... and now I finished the game and it starts skipping on the ending.. so pissed off...!!
    Any advice..
    Oh by the way i Have a V7 with a magic 3.0...
    Didn't have problems b4...thanks

2. c7015

c7015 Regular member

could be the chip the 3.0 has problems with overheating
    you may want to look into putting in a on/off switch or upgradign to the 3.1

however if you are playing a burned game than it could be a defect in the disc near the end or just bad media
    you could try burning a new one from the original onto a different kind of disc (dont knwo what kidn you are using but I use verbatim and have never had or heard of a problem with these discs)

3. Jake2003

Jake2003 Regular member

I have a wierd problem too-when I try to play my burned copy of gta3 vice city on my v5, messiah 1 ps2 I will get to a point and then say loading across the screen, and it freezes there. The weird thing is when I play it in my brothers messiah 1 ps2 it works fine.

4. RavedoG

RavedoG Guest

A friend of mine used to beable to play 4 about 4-5 h and then it froze! I told him, just as c7015 to put in a on/off switch. And that solved his problem...

I dont remember what chip he used though...

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I had a lot of problems before when I had a Magic 3.0 installed and upgrading to a 3.1 seemed to solve the problem. I don't think that it was necessarily overheating so much as it would continuously output the boot code and sometimes interfere with the game. Installing the swich as suggested may be easier or you could upgrade to a 3.1 like myself. If you choose the upgrade option the pinouts on the 3.1 are identical to the 3.0 and the soldering is relatively easier than soldering to the PS2 board itself.

6. jr_

jr_ Guest

In regards to the "loading" in GTA VC This means that your PS2 is having a problem reading your disk and is trying to read it again. It's not at all suprising your bothers PS2 can read it. PS2's vary greatly in their reading capabilities.
    Try better media. Use Verbatim it's about as good as it gets.
    If no luck clean your laser's lens.
    That is about all you can do except getting the laser assembly calibrated.
    I don't think it's the Messiah. I have a PS2 with a Messiah 2 and if I don't use Verbatim or Fugi for GTA VC I will get the loading screens and DRE's. My wife's PS2 with a Magic 3.1 just reads everything no matter how cheap the media.

I agree with Icemonkey on the Magic 3.0. I had this problem and actually measured the temperature on the chip during a freeze up. It was well within spec. A Magic 3.1 fixed the freeze problem.

7. c7015

c7015 Regular member

I had both the upgrade to 3.1 stoped the freezing becasue it goes to sleep therefor stop's forcing the boot code and causing the chip to overheat.

if you dont want to buy a new chip there is a site on the internet that will sell you a switch that solves this problem. dont knwo the exact site but just search in google

8. jr_

jr_ Guest

Actually the PIC chip may be a better than using the Magic 3.1
    The 3.1 won't play some games because they seek the boot code after starting.
    The PIC chip can be programmed to delay the shut off for 1 minute or as needed so these games may also play.
    Or you could just get a Messiah 2 that works with everything.

9. c7015

c7015 Regular member

yeah those were my thoughts too

then you can play games like deuce x and max payne

and the installation looks to be very simple

10. c7015

c7015 Regular member

and as for the messiha if you went with that it would be like installing a brand new chip from scratch instead of the add on switch or just chip replacement (becsue the solder points are the same)

but the messiha is a good chip

good luck