1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed & appreciated with a DVD Shrink error message

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by phoenixmg, Sep 24, 2007.

1. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

I'm trying to back up the extended version of Sin City. It's a 2 disc set. I was able to back up the 2nd disc after using DVD Fab Decrypter first without a problem. I tried the same procedure with disc 1 and I keep getting a message saying that the media that I'm using doesn't have enough space for the process. It says that I'd need a dual-layer blank disc. What's going on? The other disc had roughly as much data as the first and I was able to use a regular blank DVD. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance for any info towards solving this problem.

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

So are you using Shrink after DVDFab Decrypter? You only mentioned DVDFab?

Are you positive the second disk was a DVD9 and not just a DVD5?

If you're indeed compressing with Shrink, try outputing an ISO or folder of files the first time around and then try to shrink that folder to your desired target size.

3. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

I used DVDFab Decrypter before DVD Shrink. What's the difference between the 2 types? How would I do the steps you suggested? Thanks for your help.

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

DVD5 is just a DVDS that is single layered and holds aout 4.5GB of data. A DVD9 is a double layered disk that holds about 8.5GB of data. Most commercial movies are on double layered disks. Sometimes extras can be on a DVD5 and not a DVD9 disk.

In DVD Shrink insteead of burning create either an ISO image file or a hard disk folder as the output. You then use that image file or folder as the input to a second attempt at compression by DVD Shrink. It is unusual for Shrink's algoritms to not be able to compress sufficiently the first time, but not unheard of.

5. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

Thanks. I'll give that a try and post my progress.