1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed in soft modding and copying ps2 games to cd-r

Discussion in 'PS2' started by frankbarb, Jun 4, 2007.

1. frankbarb

frankbarb Member

so pretty much, i have been trying to figure out the science to the whole shebang. I've been unsuccessfully copying games and/or unsuccessfully making back-ups. I'm not sure on which part I've been messing up.

Here's what i've been doing.

first i used dvd decrypter to get the iso and mds file. (first question: what exactly are these two files and how do they work in the system as the game?)

second i have a dvd burner... the specs say it burns dvd-r at 20x and it' supports everything that i've read from other threads that you need to burn the game.

i burned the game on different speed i hear it's supposed to be half the disc burn speed but still didn't work on 8x with a 16x disc.

i've been tryin a sorta soft mod where u pretty much just tape all the buttons down that tell the ps2 not to run because the disk cover is open.

i would put on codebreaker then at the insert game part i would swap the disc and put in the copy i made

it doesn't work i wanna know why and or how to fix it.

i wanna do it without buying anything else or doing much more to my ps2. though the warranty's been void for a while i just don't want to break it.

if anyone would please tell me it would be greatly appreciated and would relieve much stress and aggravation.

p.s.
    (In theory couldn't u just make like an exact copy of a cd? also, what sorta thing is it preventing it to be copied exactly how it's made, and why hasn't someone figured out how to like stop that program or watever it is from doin that?)

2. frankbarb

frankbarb Member

oh yea not cd-r i meant to say dvd-r

3. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Always make sure you're using good media like sony discs or taiyo yuden discs or verbatim and always burn at 1x speed. Use swap magic to boot.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

http://home.earthlink.net/~moderator/id3.html
    DVD Decrypter tutorial with pictures and all :)

1. Use top quality media
    2. I always burn all 8X and 16X discs at 4X
    3. make sure you did the tape and tissue mod right, if not then no back up will work.
    4. Even with that mod you still need an ORIGINAL copy of Swap Magic to boot the back up. Since you have to buy it anyway you might just want to find a combo deal that has Swap Magic and Magic Keys II so you can mod the system properly.

ISO and MDS files:
    The ISO file is the actual game image. The MDS file is a small text file that is made and it tells the burner what to burn and how to burn it. With most programs you burn the ISO, with DVD Decrypter you can select either one. IT is the same thing with CD file (Bin & Cue). The Bin file is the actual game image and the Cue file is what you load up to burn it because it will tell the burner what to do.

the reason an exact copy can not be made is because original discs have an area called the BCA (Burst Cutting Area) that is pressed into the disc and that no burner can copy. That is why either a mod chip or Swap Discs are needed to load a back up.

Hope this answers most of your questions.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  5. breezejr5

breezejr5 Member

"no what I mean is i just use a original instead of a swap disk
    once u have the playstation think the lid is close You put the original in and wait for the logo to come up and then you QUICKLY
    take out the original and but the backup in so what i meant was
    that i dont use a swap disk."

kyle

wouldn't that work why pay money for swap magic?