1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed.....perhaps?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by syntax101, Apr 23, 2005.

1. syntax101

syntax101 Member

It seems that there are quite a few posts lately about the 3.6 Swap Magic boot CDs and the flip-top case mod for the PS2. Could there be some general issue with either/both that is causing this rather large number of problems? From what i've read on various web sites and forums, the 3.4 Swap Magic + flip top should work with very high compatibility. It seems strange that so many people seem to be having issues with it.

Perhaps it is something to do with the new Slimline Ps2 itself? I read on one forum that you had to request an upgrade of either the Action Replay or the Swap Magic directly from the company that makes them to get a "special" ediditon that has been modified to work with the new slim PS2 that for some reason isn't out on retail as of yet.

I am also curious about how the Swap Magic or Action Replay would work for adding the option of being able to play MP3 CDs or Divx movies...from what i've read elsewhere, using the Ps2-reality media player is necessary to do that, and that its possible to load it via a memory card, but i've never found a good guide on how to do this?

Part of the reason I am sort of "sitting on a fence" and not diving into the flip top/swap magic or a mod chip at the moment is it seems for some reason that both methods have some rather annoying and frequent problems. I've seen many reviews on the new Ps2 slimline having a huge number of errors with the laser, even on unmodded systems....so destroying the warrenty to put in a modchip seems to make little sense. Yet...don't you void it anyway by tearing the top off to install the flip top?

So then...is there any option that is actually reliable to be able to play MP3's, Divx movies, and backup PSone/PS2 games without having to tear into the case or the PS2 itself and void the warrenty? The best i've seen so far is a couple online stores selling premod systems with a 90 day warrenty. Most of them seem to want a rediculous amount of money just for the "labor" charge of installing the modchip. With that short of a warrenty, it seems a bit pointless to invest in....So I am really unsure which way to go??

2. ps2source

ps2source Regular member

Buy an older ps2 a bulky one use the expliot with a slide card.
    its safe and cheap and no void on the warrenty