1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed Streaming Video Files to the PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Bobman32x, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Bobman32x

Bobman32x Member

I recently got a PS3 and Ive gotten mostly everything set up, but I cant seem to stream any videos to my PS3. Only about 15 videos show up, and every single one of them except for 2 show up as corrupted data, and the 2 that DO show up wont play when I select them. Music and Photos stream fine to my PS3, and even remote play works fine with my PSP but Videos dont seem to work. Any suggestions?

2. corbula

corbula Member

I use a program called TVersity. Basically download TVersity to your PC and install it. add a new playlist on it, select the folder or file you want to stream to your PS3. Now on your PS3 go to video and it should say TVersity media server or something like that. If it doesn't show up try turning your PS3 off and on.

TVersity is brilliant it encodes while its streaming so the PS3 can play it no matter what format the file is in. you can also do pictures and music aswell.

**YOU DO NEED WIRELESS INTERNET**

I use TVersity on my dads laptop and it works perfectly, i have watched two hour long films this way without a problem. actually one problem but that was just because i left it on pause for to long.

I don't know if this makes sense or not, please tell me if it doesn't.

3. ccbl

ccbl Member

Does this reduce the quality of the video? i use ps3 video9 and it works perfect with the 1080p mpeg2 option. Fastest setting in converting in my experience with it even though it doesnt actually convert to 1080p.

4. corbula

corbula Member

It doesn't lower quality on me but i am not using a HD TV.

5. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

You do not need wireless internet. My connection is wired for both my pc and ps3.

6. corbula

corbula Member

oh ok i am using a wireless to stream to my PS3 and it plays perfectly.

7. eternalis

eternalis Regular member

You are able to stream 720p without reducing quality with TVersity provided your computer can handle it (they recommend having a Core 2 Duo ). However I don't think it handles 1080p (unless the source itself is already a format supported by the PS3- i.e no realtime conversion is needed).

8. ccbl

ccbl Member

cool thanks for the info... but would it not be better to just convert it using ps3 9--> less strain on the router/network

9. corbula

corbula Member

i dont think so it takes a long time to convert

10. Smoggie80

Smoggie80 Member

You're not wrong, downloaded TVersity an hour ago and i've already watched my name is earl and watched a slide show of family albums, all off the PC hard drive!
    Recommended to anyone, honestly, why i haven't tried this before....D'oh.

11. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

So I've got a bunch of .avi files on my External 500GB HDD, and would I be able to stream those to the PS3? That would be really nice because they used to be on my modded xbox, but that broke!

12. eternalis

eternalis Regular member

Yeah you can stream them to your PS3 using TVersity (which will convert them real-time)

13. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

When it's converting it, will it save that converted file on the HDD? Also, will it be laggy at all when I'm watching the video, while its encoding it?!

I've tried the program with my 360 but it didn't seem to work correctly! Maybe it will be better with the PS3!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  14. eternalis

eternalis Regular member

I think it caches the converted files but I'm not sure.
    It depends on how good your computer is, the TVersity website recommends you have at least a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz with support for Hyper Threading.

15. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Ya my PC doesn't have that!

16. eternalis

eternalis Regular member

Oh, then to stream without lagging you might have to lower the resolution setting in TVersity (the default resolution it streams is: 400×300 ). Though P4 with hyper-threading is recommended, the minimum requirement is a Pentium III 700 Mhz, so you might be able to stream without lagging- you'll just have to try it out and see.

17. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Alright Thanks! When I get off work, I'll have to try it!

18. TheMan10

TheMan10 Guest

Can anyone help me out? I downloaded Tversity, made a playlist for family guy I see the playlist on my ps3 which each episode. However when I go to play the file is corrupted. All the files are AVI files which play fine on my laptop. I have the setting to encode at mpeg4. Any suggestions on what I can do?? Need help!