1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP NEEDED!!!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by sherrilyn, Feb 8, 2005.

1. sherrilyn

sherrilyn Guest

I am new to all of this and am having trouble. I am trying to make a copy of a cd I have that is protected by securom 4.84. I tried to follow the instructions on how to do this with Blindwrite 4.25 But something did not work. The pictures are not showing to help those like me. I think I did something wrong at the "Physical CD characteristic dumper" portion. Can someone please help me? I do not know how to read the results to see if they are good or not. PLEASE HELP!!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Which pictures or guide did you follow? We can help you better if we know what you've already tried or done :)

3. sherrilyn

sherrilyn Guest

I followed the one called "How to backup Safedisc 2x using various software including guides". I downloaded the clonnyxxl, blindwrite 4.25 and alcohol 120%. None of the pictures show on any of the guides though. I followed all of the steps but I know that I did something wrong :)

4. Nephilim

Alrighty then. Let's try this recipe for SecuROM........

The first ingredient will be the latest version of BlindWrite5. You can get the trial version here:

http://www.vso-software.fr/download.htm

The next ingredient will be BlindWrite5 Tweaker which is a small app that gives you much more control over the settings. Here's the link:

http://nephilim.ccsau.info/BW5Tweaker.exe

Now that we have those two we can open BlindWrite5 Tweaker and we should be looking at the Basic Settings tab where we'll want the following settings:

[​IMG]

Now click on the Topology tab and use these settings:

[​IMG]

Once we have all the settings correct we can click the Run BlindWrite button which will open BlindWrite5 with the new external settings. Now all we need to do is click the Copy button and let BW5 do its thing.

A real important factor in making a working copy of protected PC games is the burner being used. What make/model burner are you using? To give you a better understanding of what I'm talking about I'll explain a couple things. Unlike burning DVDs where the protection is stripped out, burning protected PC games involves having to read the protection then write it back to the disc - both of which need to be done very accurately. Not all burners are able to write the protections accurately enough to make a working copy......

When you try to run a protected game it needs to perform a "handshake" of sorts between the disc and the game on your hard drive to verify that the disc is legitimate. If the protection is written back to the disc accurately enough it'll pass the handshake and you have what's known as a "working" copy – one that doesn't need emulation to run. If the copy is less than perfect the handshake will fail because the copy protection will detect that there's something fishy with the copy. In that case you can use emulation tools which basically help the disc pass the handshake process.

5. sherrilyn

sherrilyn Guest

how can I tell what the make/model is? I just got a new Dell. THe top one is a 16x DVD and the burner is a 12x dvd burner dual layer capable. I am not sure of the name brand. Does that help?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2005
  6. Nephilim

The main window of BW5 should list the make/model of all your drives :)

7. sherrilyn

sherrilyn Guest

it says
    1:0:0 HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B 0015 AND
    1:1:0 HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GRA-4120B F114

Does that help?

8. Nephilim

That's what I needed :)

It looks like both of your drives are LG's and as far as I know none of the LG drives are EFM capable so we may need to use emulation (see previous post).

I'd go ahead and give it a shot with the settings I listed above and see if that gets us anywhere :)

9. sherrilyn

sherrilyn Guest

I tried it and it doesn't even recognize that there is a disk in the drive. Is there something else that I can try?

10. Nephilim

What doesn't recognize the disc? BlindWrite and /or Windows Explorer?

11. sherrilyn

sherrilyn Guest

It will burn it but when I put the disk in the cd-rom drive it doesn't recognize that a disk is even put in. When I put the cd in that I burned before (in January) it does recognize the disk but will not run the program from it. All of the installation files are there but it won't run. Now this time after I did all the settings and stuff it doesn't do anything. What else can we try? I really need to get this done. Thanks for all of your help! :)

12. Nephilim

It looks like we're going to need emulation and Alcohol 120% has the options for that. I don't care for or use A120 that much so let me pm geestar20 who knows it better than I.

13. sherrilyn

sherrilyn Guest

14. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Download Alcohol 120% if you havnt already

http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/download_120.php

Open AL120% and select Copy Wizard, now select your Read Speed at 4x / Datatype shoul be selected to Securom*NEW (V4.x/5.x) / leave everything else to default, now select Next and you can name the disc what ever you want and select next / Write speed 4x and follow this example below

[​IMG]

You are now ready to play your backups.

If you need emulation (hopfuly you wont) check the box's in the example Ive shown you below.

Go down to options and select "Emulation" as shown.

[​IMG]

Enable RMPS (Recordable media physical signature) and after clicking ok you can close Alcohol. This is a one of task and you dont need to disable or enable this again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  15. rui1508

rui1508 Member

I've done wat you said up there, however, I still kept getting this message saying that it is "unable to authenticate cd within time limit".
    What should I do now??? please help me...

16. Rdonkey

Rdonkey Member

Sorry to jump in here, but with a120 is it a problem to get hundreds of "Disc read errors?" kinda a dumb question I know but CloneCD does not seem to share the same problem, is it just hiding them? And if it is, is the problem my CD burner (A Lite-on of some variety) my computer (Rapidly becoming ridiculously outdated) or the CD itself? Thanks in advance...

17. Nephilim

A mass of read errors at the start is perfectly normal when doing SafeDisc - it's part of how the protection works. Just let A120 do it's thing and the errors will stop :)

18. nomad311

nomad311 Member

ha Nephilim when i asked the question about any drive bein able to read the protected cd that was because i was gettin g this read errors and canceling the read b/c of them ...thnx a ton

btw i havent tested my other drive yet cause its a external and its at home ...ill let you know

ha i wish some1 else woulda said the errors were normal :->

EDIT: hey Nephilim i havent been able to find a working dl for BWTweaker ...is it obsolete or what
    know where i can find it?

thnx
    -nomad311

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  19. Nephilim

20. nomad311

nomad311 Member

ha they both worked great with alcohol but thanks for that too im sure ill use it in the future

-nomad311