1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed !!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Tamz, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Tamz

Tamz Member

Hi folks...

for the first time i got a problem with my dvd-ROM.
    My DVD-Rom does not read a DVD anymore, after i riped a DVD using dvd shrink. It riped the dvd successfuly, but after that i can't play a dvd on it. When i insert a DVD disk in it, nothin huppens and it says no disk in drive. However it reads everythin else (audio cd, cd rom, vcd) but not a DVD.....

couldnt find any solution for it.
    can somebody help ??

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Try this:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

3. Tamz

Tamz Member

thanks Nephilim, but it didnt work what you said.
    i unstalled the primary IDE channel, which my DVD-ROm was connected to. after a reboot it installed my drives back but didnt bring any change to my DVD ROM.
    Still i cant play a dvd disk on my device (LG DVD ROM DRD8760B).

Is there any other solution or is my brand new dvd rom which was prefectly working destroyed ??

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

did you do both things Nephilim asked you?

1 was the drive itself!

2 was the controller of the 2 channels!

[bold]also have you installed any new software at the time this occured?[/bold]

are you saying the ripped burnt disc doesn ot show? or the original doesnt show? what about other dvd originals?

5. Tamz

Tamz Member

Yes rotary, i had already uninstalled the drive itself before Nephilim asked, i uninstalled the channel after i read Nephilim's reply. Anyway, in both cases i couldnt solve the problem.
    Secondly, No, i didn't install any new software when the problem occured.
    I just took an ISO image of a DVD with this device (first time), using dvd shrink. Before that, it was working without any probs.., after i took the ISO image, i coulndt play any dvd, niether original nor copied ones...however, as i said, i can still run CD roms, audio cds and VCDs using this device...so it means, its actually not damaged..
    I really need it this weekend, after that, i dont care, even if its damaged, but please help me for this weekend !!!

6. Bigfatboy

Bigfatboy Regular member

Try this

Start >

Run >

type regedit >

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >

SYSTEM >

CurrentControlSet >

Services >

Click Cdrom >

Now find AutoRun, right click it, select Modify then change the value to 1.

7. Tamz

Tamz Member

Its already sat to 1 !

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Are you able to test the drive in another PC?

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Go into the control panel and delete the DVD Shrink in Add Remove Programs. Then go into the control panel, open the device manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right click the drive in question and uninstall. Then reboot the system, Windows will reinstall the drive. If the DVD works, then reinstall the DVD Shrink.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
  10. Tamz

Tamz Member

Isnt this weired guys ???
    i did everythin that u guys asked me to do, still i can't solve the problem...BUT
    today i braught an original DVD "GLADIATOR" from my friend. When i put it in the drive, it run and there was no problem...WHY ???
    why doesn't it read my own original DVD's ?
    is there any difference in GLADIATOR and my dvds ???
    come on, its making me crazy...i am working with dvds since ages, but never came across such a problem....
    what to do guys ?????
    HELP !!

11. brobear

brobear Guest

The different companies use the same process for pressing the DVD ROM movies on the discs. They're not burned as you do with a recordable media. So, there is no apparent reason why your friend's DVDs will play and yours won't, unless yours have somehow become damaged. I have Gladiator and I don't see anything about the structure that makes it different from the others. Try a couple of other original DVDs from the friend or rental and see what happens.