1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help -- New DVD burner won't let me use 2X speed

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Vladibus, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Vladibus

Vladibus Member

I just got a new DVD burner. Lite-On SOHW-1633S. The problem is it won't let me burn at 2X. I always like to burn at 2X because it gives me the best burn. My old DVD burner was a Lite-On 812S, and it let me burn at 2X fine. In DVd Shrink, I set the option to burn at 2X, but when the burning starts it uses 4X.

When I go into NERO to burn, 2X isn't even given to me as an option. It only lists 4, 6, and 8X.
    Is this normal?

I am using TDK 8X DVD-R media... it's the same media I used before without a problem. Thanks for reading.

2. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

It might be normal.

I had a Philips DVD8631 that only did 4x also.
    It didn't support 2x or 1x at all.

Check the full specs on the drive !

3. ginnyk1

ginnyk1 Guest

or try updating your firmware. i have the philips 8631 in my dimension 8400 - after a firmware update, it was all good.

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

I have found that if you not allowing the burn process to have the full resources of your computer during the burn process that the computer will actually slow down the burning speed so that it can accommodate for the other tasks that you are trying to do at the same time.