1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! New form of copy protection? DVD not found in computer drive

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by tamula, Nov 3, 2004.

1. tamula

tamula Guest

Hi - I have a dvd I *need* to copy. It is only playable as far as I can tell by standalone dvd player equipment. None of my dvd-rom drives (1 dell lite-on LTD163 and 1 laptop toshiba) will play it or even RECOGNIZE it. DVDSHRINK (and decrypter and anydvd) all say "no disc" is in the drive. Windows explorer returns the same message and I was unable to even image the movie since none of my drives can effectively "find" it when it's inserted. CAN ANYONE HELP??? This is a disney Lady and the Tramp DVD from ebay (in case anyone is interested).

I have tried alcohol120 too - but it doesnt seem to be working either - I'm at a loss.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]~~Tammy
    Wheel of Fortune WINNER NFL players week Jan 2004

"When you eliminate the impossible,
    Whatever remains, however improbable
    MUST be the answer"
    ----Lt. Cmdr Data, Star Trek & Sherlock Holmes[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2004
  2. Corgan79

Corgan79 Guest

Tamula- I would almost say that it sounds like a damaged disc, is it scratched at all? Fingerprints? I wasn't aware that the new copy protection was out yet.....

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Are you sure the dvd is an original and not a copy. What color is the bottom? If silver its probably an orignal. If pink or purple you have a copy someone already burned. If thats the case(pink or purple) it may be the wrong format (+ or -) for your equipment. This is all just guess work because original purchased dvd's will play in just about anything out there unless damaged badly.

Jerry

4. tamula

tamula Guest

Hi - Thanks for the replies - I have an UPDATE:

about the original dvd first - I'm certain it is bootleg. I believe it is a silver thermal printable. BUT, my liteon 163 nor my plextor px712 could "find" it. So, in frustration, I went out and bought a liteon SOHD 167T, and VOILA! It instantly saw the dvd, and I quickly copied it with no problems. I had heard that my 163 couldnt read +R multisession DVD-R's so perhaps this was some sort of disc it simply couldn't read.

Still - it was odd, since my laptop couldnt find the disc either . . .

Regardless thanks for all your help!

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Glad you got it straightened out. It sounded like you got stuck with a copy. Its those kind of people (selling bootleg copies) that make it hard for the rest of us to protect our collection by making backups. This is what the movie industry is up in arms about and why the government shuts down companies like 321 Studios. Like the old saying about a few bad apples making all the rest go bad. Good luck with your burning.

Jerry

6. tamula

tamula Guest

Jerry,

Yes I know exactly where you're coming from. IRONICALLY, my son ruined his original copy of Lady & the Tramp, which is why I was led to replace it in the first place. I mean, if I had been able to back it up in the first place, none of this would have happened!

Thanks much for your input !
    :)