1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help! new to the process

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ron613, Jan 13, 2005.

1. ron613

ron613 Member

I am new to this burning process. I downloaded dvd decrypter, I can now copy dvd's to the hard drive but it places them in a folder with a .vod file extension. How do I get the files that were copied to the hard drive to burn onto a dvd? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  2. sakmd

sakmd Member

hi ron...

here's a link to afterdawn member bbmayo's website w/ various guides that will help get you started and on your way (thanks bbymayo)...

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

also, here's a link to the guides page on this site with more info...

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

if you don't have the latest version of dvdshrink (another free program) you should download that as well.

3. ron613

ron613 Member

Hi sakmd, I have the guide from afterdawn's website...I can copy to the hard drive ok but they are .vob files. the guide says to find the file name with .dvd extension and select it to write to a dvd-r, but there is no file with that extinsion. All the file extensions are .ifo or .vob. this is where I am lost. Thanx for your input and any further info would be GREATLY appreciated.

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi ron
    You used dvd decrypter in the file mode, and it sounds like your using a guide for the iso mode.
    If your using decypter for your burner,your going to have to do it over in the iso read/iso write mode,if the dvd is small enough.
    dvd decrypter cant burn in the file mode.
    If you have nero,heres a good guide to burn your vob files:http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  5. sanjo

sanjo Member

Thanks for the link to the Nero Burning Rom Tutorial. Question about Nero: Tutorial shows how to prepare one file to be burned. But will it allow more than one video file to be added/dragged into the list?

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Do you mean like 2 different movies?If that what you mean, then the answer is no.
    There are several apps that will do this,dvd shrink,dvd2one,etc.
    Try this guide with dvd shrink(a free option):http://www.dvdshrink.info/compilation.php
    After you use shrink,then you can burn with nero.
    But watch that compression.

7. sakmd

sakmd Member

hi ron..

sorry didn't get a chance to reply sooner. but looks as though jim_dandy has pointed you in the right direction.

depending on the size of your project, you may need to compress the files to fit on a dvd-5 (unless you are burning to a dvd-9 in which case space will be sufficient to do all of your work in decrypter) if you need to compress the project, dvd shrink is the way to go. if you have to use shrink, just use the files you have already ripped and then once you backup you'll have several options to create the project. through shrink, you can burn w/ nero or decrypter (through shrink). you can also create an iso image file and then go back to decypter, open the iso image created in shrink, then use mode>iso>write.

also, if you do end up using shrink, and you're using a dvd-5, set your target size in the preferences to somwhere between 4300-4360. this will prevent from writing to the edge of the disc so as to avoid possible playback issues later on like freezing or skipping, etc.

8. sanjo

sanjo Member

Thanks for your reply. Compression? These are small videos from my digital camera, not regular movies. Some of my video "movies" are only 3 minutes long. Using Nero Burning Rom, I did just try to 'drag' a second video file onto the list, but I got the error "A special entry already present on the target location. Original Joliet or ISO file names can be identical. Cannot move 'VTS_01_1.Vob' to new location." I think after I converted from AVI, it seems like after the conversion, the files all were given the same exact 5 file names. Is that the cause of the error? I will look into your suggestions of dvdshrink, etc...thanks

9. sakmd

sakmd Member

sanjo...

i'm not sure if this is what you're trying to do, but i've done something similar.

i've had several mpeg clips that i took w/ my sony v1 digital cameral. there were three clips total that i wanted to put on dvd to play on stand alone players. to do this, i used nero visiion express (nve) 3. it's pretty straightforward...i uploaded the files from the camera to my hard drive, then just added these files that came straight from the cam right into nve. it takes you step by step. the prog only came w/ one menu template, but you can get others, or use your own. one of the next steps show you the clips you have on the menu template. to the right of this there is a remote control and here you can customize which remote buttons will be used to navigate, play, etc. it's all explained. i completed the project, burned it, and was then able to play it on my home player.

i'm not sure if this is what you are trying to do, but if so, nero vision express will prob to the job for you. there may be other ways to do this, but this was the easiest, most straight forward for me.

in this case, you won't have to worry about using shrink to compress etc. when i read you previous post i was thinking perhaps you were wanting to put two regular movies on one disc. and that's where the references to dvdshrink, compression, etc came from.

anyway, hope this helps. if not, perhaps someone else may have a better idea of what you're after and how to help.

10. sanjo

sanjo Member

Thanks much sakmd. I downloaded the trial version of Nero, and it includes 'nero express' and 'nero burning rom', and some other things, however, when I opend 'nero express' it did state to use video files, I would need 'nero VISION express', which made me think that 'nero express' and 'nero VISION express' is two different programs available. I don't see that this exact program is included in the trial version I have. I see it would be included if I purchased the whole problem. Don't really want to do that unless I know this is going to work for me. Do you or anybody know if there is a trial version of 'nero vision express' available? Thanks for your time and patience everybody!

11. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Yes nero vision express 3, is available in the trial version,just download package 2.:http://www.nero.com/us/neroue-prog.php

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  12. sakmd

sakmd Member

sanjo...

as you've prob already found by jim's post above, yes, nero vision express and nero express are two different programs. and nve 3 is available for trial download, per jim's post above.

i did the same thing months back. i downloaded all three packs to try out before purchasing nero. after trying it out a few times, i went ahaed and purchased the program. it has since performed very well for me and i'm quite please with the program.

give it a go....and do let us know if it worked out for you....

13. sanjo

sanjo Member

Hello my friends,
    OK I'm missing something here and I'm getting a little confused. (Ok, super confused). The package I downloaded had several things to choose from. I used Nero Recode 2. I selected two avi files. The process started. The event log said 'encoding', then 'compiling file one', 'compiling file two', 'encoding to nero digital successful', 'caching completed', 'burn process started', then 'burn process completed successfully at 4x'. Wow, I was starting to get pretty excited, as nothing froze up and I assumed when it said 'burn process completed successfully'--I figured those two video files were converted and burned onto the dvd. Put the dvd into the dvd player and there's nothing there, nothing. When the dvd root folder shows zero. However, the dvd does play beautifully in my computer using 'nero showtime'. Any suggestions as to why the videos are invisible to my dvd player? I am determined to figure this out--armed with my bottle of aspirin and leg and neck cramps from sitting here...

14. sanjo

sanjo Member

Hello Friends,
    Update to my previous whining. I took a completely different approach. I used WinAvi Converter to first convert my two of my AVI videos, so I could get the vob, etc. files that are necessary. I then downloaded the Nero Burning Rom program. The Nero Burning Rom program allowed me to 'drag' the files that I wanted. I dragged the files from both converted avi videos. Held my breath after hitting the burn button, but I am thrilled to report that both videos were successfully burned onto the dvd and the dvd played perfectly in my dvd player. Hopefully I will get the same results in future tests using both the WinAvi converter and the Nero Burning Rom. Thanks for all the help my friends, and personal thanks to jim dandy and sakmd. Hooray!

15. sakmd

sakmd Member

hi sanjo...

great news! it appears that your persistence certaily paid off! glad to hear that things worked out... :)

sakmd

16. sanjo

sanjo Member

Thanks sakmd. Unfortunately my excitement was short lived. I originally tried with two videos and super results. I then used twelve short videos for my dvd. When it plays on the dvd, I see that it says 1/12, 2/12 on the counter as each plays, problem is once its done playing video 7/12, the dvd stops and thats it! The numbers registers there are 12 titles, but why is it cut off after #7?. The videos together bearly even made a dent in the dvd space, so I didn't run out of space. After the burn in Nero Burning Rom, the burn confirmed "successful". Any ideas? Thanks much.