1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Newbie with a DL Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by nashvol, Feb 13, 2005.

1. nashvol

nashvol Member

Hey folks. I have a gift certificate burning a whole in my pocket and want to get a DL DVD Burner from Best Buy. Just want to get the best choice...will use mostly to burn movies.

Here are my choices:

HP 630i - $99
    Plextor PX-716A - $99 after rebate
    Sony DRU-710 - $99 after rebate (although on website they list the starting price as $116.99 vs. $129 in store, thus making it $87 after the $30 rebate. I am sure they would honor the website price in store.)

Any thoughts? Right now I have a single layer, 1st gen DVD Burner (+r only)in my HP, so would love some higher speed!

Thanks for any help!

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Since you're gonna get it from bestbuy, definitely go with the plextor. Actually, it at least shares the top of the mountain with a few others as the best burner available. You certainly can't buy a better burner, although its my opinion that you can get one jsut as good for a good amount less. But I digress. You'll be very happy with a new plextor.

Hapy burning :)

3. nashvol

nashvol Member

Thanks for the quick response! I have $50 gift certificate for Best Buy, but if I can get a better one for about the same price as one I can get from Best Buy w/ the $50, then I certainly will look at it also. I also don't want to get "teched"....meaning are there some new technology DVD Burners just about to come out? Maybe faster? I would certainly wait to purchase then.

4. nashvol

nashvol Member

After doing some searching, it seems that there are different releases of the Plexor 716 I should look for. What type of serial number or such should I be looking for?

5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Don't know about that, sorry.

About your other questions. If you can get the new plextor for ~$50 after rebate and gift certificate, I'd say go with that one. I use NEC burners, with sell for ~$60 on the internet. The NEC burner is great, but so is the plextor, so either way you go, you'll be getting a great burner. Check out the product page for the nec 3520 at newegg.com.

About getting 'teched', you don't have to worry about that. When it comes to burning dvds, theres not much benifit to going faster. 16x gets a dvd burned in about 4 mins, but in general you will want to burn slower, at 8x if you're using good media, even slower if you're using questionable media. And with DL media as expensive as it is, and with the compression technology that is available now, you more then likely won't bother with DL for a very long time.

So with whichever burner you decide to go with, it will last you for a very long time.

6. nashvol

nashvol Member

Thanks. I think there is a certain TLA (?) number I should be looking for so I get one that is a more current firmware, maybe?