1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help...No sound after FDISK

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by xklante, Oct 2, 2004.

1. xklante

xklante Guest

I have a problem after I FDISK my HD I have no sound, I have done a lot of research about the problem, but no luck. I've clean the registry(I think)again I've been unsucessful. So I'm hoping someone can help..Any help will be appreaciated!!!

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Do you have onboard sound or a sound card or both?

3. xklante

xklante Guest

agent-k,

I only have onboard card. From what I have read from my research it has to do with the FDISK, it leaves the drivers on the register and this is what is causing the problem, now having said that I have followed step by step instructions but no luck. The error code is 22 unable to install...or something for that matter.

Thanks...

4. CJC

CJC Regular member

Ok..

If FDISK and formatted your Hard Drive with Windows on it.

So all the drivers are not on there.

You will need to get the drivers that came with your motherboard and put that in and install the Onboard sound drivers.

Right Click 'My Comptuer' then left click 'Properties'

Click on the Device tab, then Device Manager.

You may see your sound under Sound and Audio Controllers or something similar, right click on them and either remove or uninstall.

If they are not installed it might have Multimedia Audio Card with a Yellow !, right click and select Update Driver. Make sure that your Motherboard driver disc is in the drive, and let it serach for them.

CJC

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

If you haven't got the M/B disc, you will probably be able to obtain the sound software/drivers from the manufacturers website...........

6. xklante

xklante Guest

CJC and baabaa,

I have tried uninstalling it, I also downloaded the drivers from the website and no luck. I have downloaded 2 drivers from Silicon Integrated Systems(SIS) and nothing as a matter of fact when I have windows search for plug and play it does not recognize the sound card if I want to install the any of the drivers I get a message saying that the driver(s)are not XP compatible...and this is the driver recommended for my MB chip. Here's my mother board number ASUS P4S33-VM.

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

In the resources tab, it says "this device isn't using any resources because it has a problem".

I've tried SiS 7012 / Sis 7018 and AC'97 drivers, none of them work

The follwing is a step by step guide that I have foolowed and no luck...

1- Make sure you HAVE downloaded the SIS7012 or 7018 driver onto your PC and its unzipped so you can get to it easily (I put mine in my Downloads/SisDriver). Although you probably CAN update after you get rid of the old reg key, I like to be safe.

2- Do Regedit here:

H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENTCONTROLSET/SERVICES and DELETE the ENTIRE SIS7018 and/or SIS7012 keys (just those obvious relevant numbers though, other SIS stuff seems to be okay).

3- Go into Control Panel>System>Device Manager - remove/uninstall the generic sounding Audio Control Driver or whatever its called, the one that XP "thinks" is the SIS driver.

4- Go to the Add/Remove Programs menu and wipe out any SIS Audio Drivers that may have (partially) gotten installed.

5- Reboot

6- When XP "finds" your Audio Sound Card, DO NOT let it automatically install the best driver, but instead select the "install from a specific location" and browse to the folder where you unzipped the driver files, and into the XP subfolder and click OK. In a few seconds, you'll hear a "pop", signifying you have SOUND again!

Note that as long as you delete the old SIS key from the registry, updating from Windows Update or other online source will probably work, but I wasn't taking any chances and it worked fine for me by installing from the file on my PC - but again, you probably COULD let it automatically install it from the net, once the key is gone from the Registry.

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

This may sound crazy, but is the onboard sound card enabled in your BIOS?

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hee Hee, good question GrandpaBW a nice and obvious one which we ALL missed.......

Also to my knowledge, I thought that you also required some software to accompoany the drivers and not just the drivers themselves.......I maybe wrong though........

9. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I didn't, that's what I was trying to get at but then I went out before the reply.

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

11. xklante

xklante Guest

Yes I have looked at the bios and is enable. Is there something else that I might be missing in bios? Let me know, I been with sound for a few months now and is getting on my nerves. By the way I had the computer build by a friend 1 1/2 years ago. And he never gave me any sort of disk for the MOBO or anything else except WinXp Cd....

12. CJC

CJC Regular member

Ok,

Are you sure its P4S33-VM ? I cant find it on the Asus site, can u double check and make sure thats the model number..

--
    Try removing anything for the sound card from Device Manager. (Dont Restart)

Goto: www.asus.com/index.htm and download section..

and download the audio drivers for your motherboard.

Double click on the installation file, and let it install and reboot.

Does this work ?

CJC

13. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

14. chrobak

chrobak Guest

my computer is fast and clean, just recently i reformatted my system and for some reaon after that my sound hasnt worked. how do u fix this, plez help

15. chrobak

chrobak Guest

but i have tried everything, nothing is messed up with the speakers, and everything is right when i go into the volume settings but after reformatting my system my sound hasnt worked, do u knoe how top fix this

16. CJC

CJC Regular member

You havnt installed your sound drivers after you formatted ?

Is your sound onboard or a seperate card?
    What motherboard/card do you have?

You need to install the Sound Drivers for it to work.

CJC

17. chrobak

chrobak Guest

how do you install sound drivers. And how do you no if your card is onboard or seperate. I need help on how to install my sound drivers because i do nt have a clue how. I dont think i got any disk that came with my computer to install this. Is there any other way you could install it. Plez help!!

18. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

You should of got a Motherboard Driver CD and a Sound Card Driver CD (If seperate card)

If you have a tower case, the onboard Sound will be up towards the top near the PS/2, Serial, Parallel Port etc.

Or it will be down towards the bottom more.

Go to www.cpuid.com and download CPU-Z. Click on the Mainboard tab and tell me what model motherboard you have. It will have something like
    Manufacturer: xxxx
    Model: xxx

CJC

19. chrobak

chrobak Guest

OK, the manufacturer is ECS, and the model is P4VMM2 then now what should i do.

20. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

Goto :

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/drivers_sound.html

and go down to VIA Codec Sound Driver
    60a
    03/05/02 K7VMM, K7VMM2, P4VMM2, P4VXASD, P4VXASD2
    Windows 9x/Me/NT4.0/2000/XP
    Avance Logic AC'97 Sound System Software (WDM driver)

Download that file. Once its downloaded double click on it and it should start to install, or it might extract the files for you to.

CJC