1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! non-system disk or disk error message

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by tony16222, Jan 17, 2008.

1. tony16222

tony16222 Member

I hae a hp compaq nc6000 with windows xp. I am recieving this error message as I turn on my laptop "non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready. Whats wrong and how can I fix it?

2. Crab56

Crab56 Regular member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  3. tony16222

tony16222 Member

I tried changing the boot sequence and still having the same proplem. I don't have any cd in the cd-rom or any floppy disc since it doesn't use any floppy disc. From what I was reading it seems like it might be a hard drive issue, any ideas? thank you

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

Try the demo of "paragon justboot corrector", download the demo unrar it, and use nero to burn it to a cd. Now use that bootcd to bootup the computer. Check your drive letters, your system drive letter needs to c: drive, if it's anything else it might be causing your problem.
    If that checks good then, my advice is to run a scandisk (with the fix errors box checked), If the computer was shutoff improperly it can corrupt the hard drive, but sometimes scandisk can fix it.

demo here
    http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/JustBoot_Boot_Corrector_38938_p/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  5. tony16222

tony16222 Member

I downloaded and but it into the cdrom. it says getting partition info and underneath its an error box saying hard disk 16:i/o fault. it says that for all of the hard drives. then it goes into correct windows installations and in a box it says "no nt installation found". What does this mean? Does it mean that windows was erased from the hard drive?

6. Crab56

Crab56 Regular member

Do you have operating system disc ? Did you try repairing windows install ?

7. jony218

jony218 Guest

I've used "paragon justboot corrector" in several different computers. There was only one time that it didn't boot up a computer. That time I also got the input/output errors note. On that computer I had to replace the motherboard (I actually tried 3 different hard drives and none of them would work on that computer).

My recommendation is to remove that hard drive and see if you can read it on another computer. Maybe theres nothing wrong with the hard drive or windows files. If you put a new hard drive on the computer and you try to load windows and it won't load, then it's probably a motherboard/memory problem. That's the problem I got that finally pointed to the motherboard. But I would also check the memory first (which also can prevent windows from loading).

I wouldn't reformat your hard drive just yet, see if you can read it somewhere else and run a scandisk on it.