1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on 3 Red Rings - Did X-Clamp Fix, but still RRoD?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Sythron, May 21, 2009.

1. Sythron

Sythron Regular member

Ok so I purchased the RROD kit for the X-Clamp replacement and did it correctly. Cleaned the processors (GPU/CPU) to a seemingly mirror finish, reapplyed high quality thermal paste then did the Nylon washers on the board, metal washers on the outside, right screws (no drilling). I followed the guide pinned on here both video and text but when I turn on the Xbox I still get the 3 red lights.

I turned it on without fans or anything and got the 3 red rings and in 7 seconds got the 2 red rings so I waited for 2 1/2 minutes. I figured ok this is good, turned the console off and immediately took the board out from the case and tightened the screws holding the heat sinks a little more with a screw driver (they were hand tight before) let it sit for 25 minutes before connecting the fan, reconnecting power/hdmi cable and turning it on.

Still gives the 3 red lights and turns into 2. This console was working before and just gave RRoD one day nothing else was tampered. Never toweled, opened or anything before.

Can anyone at all please provide some insight?

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Regular member

There is no guarantee that the X-Clamp fix will work 100%. I did the X-Clamp on my buddy's 360, and it worked for 15min, then got the RRoD again.

I really don't get why people even try to do these fixes, when M$ offers a 3 year warranty if you get the RRoD. I mean even if you've modded the system, you can still send it in, and they will sometimes fix it.

I'm sorry that the X-Clamp didn't work for you, looks like you will need to send it into M$ and see if they will fix it!

4. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

I would take the heatsink off the GPU, turn the system on, let it overheat while pressing the GPU heatsink down on top of the GPU. Do this a couple times(have to turn it on and off a couple times as the system will cut off after a few seconds). Then put the heatsink back on, tighten it down decent, you don't need to crank it down, if its too tight it will just warp the board and you will be right back where you started.

You gotta play with both of them, if the GPU heatsink is a little loose it will overheat, but if the CPU heatsink is too tight at the same time, it will RRoD too.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  5. Sythron

Sythron Regular member

I dont now what else to do, how do some people do the repairs and everyone works? Have I messed up this unit?

6. uturn68

uturn68 Regular member

many of the repairs dont work- you hear more about the ones that do than the ones that dont so it seems like they all work.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  7. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

All the fixes I have done have worked, granted some don't work forever, but they have worked.

I still agree though, I'm sure many do not work. But a lot of it I believe is patience and enough little tweaking. I had one that i worked on for hours but finally got it just right and it worked.

8. homesick

homesick Regular member

9. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

[​IMG]

10. Sythron

Sythron Regular member

Thanks for the replies it's been helpful. What I am going to try is redo the whole x-clamp fix and reapply the coolant. Then check it out.

11. xelahtims

xelahtims Member

Artic Silver!

12. oicurpn

oicurpn Member

this is what i did on two units and it worked fine

the reason this is not working is because of the presure between the chip and the heat sink they need to make contact fully so i modifyed the prosses. instead of placing metal washers i just used the nylon washers plus i did not place the screw threw the base of the xbox metal casing.

1) place the nylon washer on eash side of the circut board on all 8 holes. ( you will need 16 nylon washers )
    2) put screws threw the circut board ( only the circut board not the metal base and circut board )and replace the heatsink's
    3) if you like add a little lock tight ( optional ) then tighten thescrews snug.

4)place board back into the metal tray and power the unit back on the three ring should be gone. let the system turn to two ring wich is the code for overheating let it run for 1-2 min the shut the system off. after it cooks down pull the board out and tighten snug again.

screw the remaning screws back into the meatal plate to secure the board to the metal tray, reconect your fan and test the unit on your tv.

you should have no problems

13. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

eh.......

Sorry guys, you know me i have to start out a thread like this with a sigh of frustration.

10 replies and nobody has even asked about the secondary error code.

So Sythron check out this link, it will help you identify your problem.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/663061

Let me know what secondary error code you get.

14. steo2k8

steo2k8 Regular member

Well if it went from 3 lights to 2 lights after 7 seconds it overheated way too fast.

If the secondary code with 2 lights is:

0011: CPU Overheating (make sure you have enough pressure but not too much on the CPU)

0012: GPU Overheating (make sure you have enough pressure but not too much on the GPU)

0013: RAM Overheating (more than likely a cold solder joint under the RAM)

If your code with 3 lights was 0110 then your problem is the RAM, more commonly it's 0102 (usually GPU).

What is the error code on the 3 red lights?

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  15. homesick

homesick Regular member

3) if you like add a little lock tight ( optional ) then tighten thescrews snug.

what do you do if the fix didn't work? how are you supposed to get it back apart? lol

16. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

You can get loc-tite off pretty easily. As long as you don't over-do it that is. Just don't try Perma-Seal. You will NEVER get that off.

Was once changing the transmission filter on a truck and the guy had used Perma-seal on the bolts and around the transmission pan to stop any leaks. It took 4 people and two crowbars to get the pan off of it, and that was after we spent half the day fighting the bolts.

17. Sythron

Sythron Regular member

Some good news. I redid the whole X-Clamp fix and it worked! I will just run the tests to make sure it will be working properly.

I got a second machine, older model (2006) and did the same fix and it went from 3 red lights down to 2 when turned on. It never gives 3 lights.

Tried the "baking trick" for 2 mins 30 seconds after the fix but I guess I will just need to redo it again?

18. oicurpn

oicurpn Member

i lwft that out

after i did the fix my way i never got the three ring it ran perfectly i left the fan disconected then it went to 2 lights and i left the unit on for 1 1/2 min for the solder to liquify and re-atach the chip then shut off the system for 1/2 h. pluged the unit back into the tv and played for 4 h with no probs.

19. Sythron

Sythron Regular member

The one I fixed now freezes and then goes RRoD but will go back one and give green lights again before it freezes and gives the RRODs.

20. oicurpn

oicurpn Member

did you try the way i fixed mine

21. homesick

homesick Regular member

what color locktight you using, different colors are different strenghts. We used to use red on trannys and motors, and that was pretty much near impossible to get off.

@OP what is your error code when it decides to go RROD on you?

Last edited: May 24, 2009