1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP on backing up PS2 games (DVD to DVD copy)!!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Super106, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Super106

Super106 Member

I have spent several hours looking for the answers to my problem and without any luck. If anyone found the answers, I would be very grateful if you could direct me to the link or simply reply to this message.

Anyway here's the question!!!

I am trying to backup DVD to DVD copy of my PS2 games using several software such as RecordNow Max, Nero Buring 5xxx, and Primo DVD 2.0. I managed to burn the DVD games successfully (according to the software). But the game never boot up when I came to insert the copied disc into my PS2 console (The TV screen will either display red with the message 'Please insert Playstation 2 format disc...' or will direct me to the browser screen). When I open the backup disc with my PC, all the files seems to be there. It just not boot up for some strange reasons.

I already tried several times and wasted so many blank DVDs. I have tried using different types of DVD media (e.g. DVD-R (DVD minus R) and DVD+R (DVD plus R)), and none seems to work for me.

Any ideas of what might I've done wrong? Could it be the process of reading the original CD, or could it be writing the image on the blank DVD? Are there any special settings that I'll need to apply for such writing software? Or are there some kind of methods that I need to use during boot up?

I am currently using a Sony DRU-500 UL (External) burner with any of the following software: -
    - Nero Buring Rom (version 5.5.10.20 OEM)
    - Primo DVD 2.0
    - RecordNow Max & RecordNBow DX

My PS2 console is an import from Japan, model number is SCPH-39000 S, and is fitted with the Messiah 2 chip.

My PS2 is capable of playing copied games as I've brought many back from abroad. The only backup games that will not play are the ones I’ve done myself.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

2. brandito

brandito Guest

I had the same problem and what I did was lower the read and write speed to 4x or less. Do you have a swap disc? either magic or action replay, game shark. the software probably is not the problem

3. bodul67

bodul67 Regular member

I think it might be the media. I only use Nero @ 1X burning speed on Ritek & Verbatim DVD-R & CD-R Media. Try These Media -R & +R on Ritek and Verbatim. Also I partitioned my PC to give a free drive of 20 gigs just for making back-ups. Check to see if you have enough space on your PC. Make sure that when you burn, don't run any other programs and shut off your screensaver. The problem might be something simple with your PC. Good Luck!

4. Super106

Super106 Member

Many thanks for your reply.

But I have already tried reading and copying at 1X and my PS2 console still doesn't like it.

I have also tried using GradeA +R and -R DVD media, and still without any luck.

Could it be the bootup method, i.e. switching the Messiah 2 chip ON/OFF? If so, how do I go about doing this?

5. bodul67

bodul67 Regular member

To play my back-ups using Magic3.1:
    1- Turn PS2 on
    2- Eject tray
    3- Put back-up in tray and close
    4- Tap Reset Button
    5- Play game