1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP on burning option settings......

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ricks1, Jan 26, 2007.

1. ricks1

ricks1 Member

Hello everyone, I like to know what's the best option to choose for quality if time is of no concern. "Maximum Smoothness" or "maximum sharpness"??

I never compress movies below 80%. What's general rule of thump for the amount of compressing I can do and still maitain good image quality?

Also, I burn DVD's at 16x, without any problems. But I have noticed in many posting that it is recommended to burn at 8x. Can you tell me the difference that it would make if I burn at slower speed??

Thank you All!

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Mix it up a little and decide for yourself...max smooth may look better on my TV, while max sharp might look better to you.

I always use Deep Analysis, if my compression ratio drops below 85% I use the AEC controls...I've gone as low as 60% with good results.

If you have a quality burner with firmware that is up to date and are using quality media, high burning speeds can be achieved with the same results as those burned at lower speeds. I keep my firmware current and burn at the rated speed of the blank.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

That's a lot of compression,I didn't think you can get that much compression.

Or is dvd shrink showing 80 in the compression tab setting-meaning 20% compression?

Max sharpness is slightly faster than the max smoothness. I've been as low as 30-35% compression with max sharpness. Over 35%,then I use Max smoothness. On major compression,I can the blockiness in the picture without those AEC enhancements.

16X burning?

If you got a good burner,high quality media-TY/Verbatim, and reliable stand alone player/s,then you may not notice much difference. As the speed rate increases,so do those little error-PIE/PIF. Too many of those errors,or in the wrong spot-higher chance for issues.

Crappy burners,crappy media,older stand alone players with a lot of wear and tear: Then the possibility of playback issues will increase.The stand alone players will tell you how fast to burn just by watching the playback. Pixellation,freezing,skipping,jumping-Burn speed is the first thing to troubleshoot for.

Burning 16x with verbatim-No problemo.They were designed to be burned faster,not slow. Burning 16x with my Maxell cmags-I wouldn't even chance it.

I run scanning tests on my backups using nero's disc quality scan program. It shows those small error and gives a score. I use that with different media and different burn speeds to find which burn speed shows the highest score-per different MID coded media.It's not 100% accurate,but gets you close in the ballpark.

Lite-on drives use Kprobe and Plextor drives use plextools. Dvdinfopro is another program to scan your backups.

If you have no access to those programs and a lot of free harddrive space,an easy way to test your backups is by re-ripping them back onto your harddrive. If you can successfully rip it to the HD without any errors-CRC-then you should be OK.

It sucks when you have a 1 yr old backup that you need to make another copy of it and wham-CRC error. You want your backups to be as error free as possible in case some day you may need a copy of it.