1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help on ripping DVDs to DivX

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by afonic, Aug 11, 2003.

1. afonic

afonic Guest

Hi! If any of you have trouble in ripping DVDs to DivX he can visit my detailed guide at YOU WERE WARNED and rip DVDs easy and fast!
    Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2003
  2. Lush

Lush Member

can i rip dvd's from like blockbuster into divx and save them on my hard drive???
    i have my graphics card svideo output connected to my Tv.
    Lush

3. afonic

afonic Guest

Hi!
    Yes of course you can do it. Go to YOU WERE WARNED and take the DVD To DivX guide. Please be aware that ripping copyrighted DVDs is considered a crime in some countries (like US).
    Enjoy!

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Hey afonic, pretty good site you have.

One question, have you tried encoding with the newest version of the divx codec? If so, did you find that the quality wasnt as great as with 4.12? Im asking because ive tried encoding short clips with 4.12 and then again with 5.05, and Ive found that the newest version yields better results.

5. afonic

afonic Guest

thanks for your good words.

Yes I have tried, I didn't noticed the quality but I had some other problems:
    -in 2-pass encoding sometimes at the output movie there are black screens every 10 minutes or something.
    -I had my computer crashed twice while encoding
    -I faced playback problems in PCs with DivX 4.12 and below. 4.12 plays great with any version of DivX codec
    Lets hope that the new version coming is gonna be a killer one!

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Uh would it be a waste to reply now that afonic has been banned?

Well divx 5.05 is pretty good and Im betting that future versions will be even better.

7. Powa

Powa Regular member

Why was he banned? I thought his link just showed another method to rip a dvd to divx. Thats what afterdawn guides are?

Or was he advertising, and thats banned?

8. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I think he was advertising too much in his posts. Dont worry he and the moderators have settled the matter and he was "un-banned".
    But then again, maybe something else has happened..._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2003
  9. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Hi!
    Actually there was a bit of misunderstanding. I am unbanned but I can't use my old name, thats why I use the #. I was in holiday thats why I stopped posting.
    Actually I can see no improvements from DivX 4.xx to 5.xx except of better encoding time. But 4.12 is free when 5 contains adware, so I still use 4.12 If they want us to pay for DivX then I will stop using it. I believe things like that should be free. I paid for Dr.DivX but not for DivX Pro. Have you used it? I'm wondering what the impovement are from the standard free version.

10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Nope Ive only used the free adaware version of the divx codec. There isnt any difference except that with the version that you buy, you get free software upgrades on all future divx 5.xx releases. I dont let the adware bother me at all, since nothing bad has happened since installing the codec.

11. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Anyway, you may be right, but I don't like the idea of a spyware programs tracking what I do to send it somewhere, it's like Big Brother!

12. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Anyway, you may be right, but I don't like the idea of a spyware programs tracking what I do to send it somewhere, it's like Big Brother!

13. portableb

portableb Member

afonic, i used your guide to a T, and it's giving me an error when it's done that's underflows or something and telling me to change the MUX rate or video bit stream. which do I change, and to what? I have them the way you put in your guide.

14. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Hi
    I tried to answer you at the email you send me but it's not working.
    Well I have never seen this message.
    I can try and find out what's your problem, but you have to tell me:
    1) what guide are you using? (VCD, DivX, AVI cut, etc)
    2) EXACTLY which program and when does it shows you this message.

15. portableb

portableb Member

I am using DVDx2.2 and it says it AFTER everything is done (ie. after it changed the DVD into MPEG and splits it). The error is underflows, try changing the MUX Rate or Video Bit rate. Also in the beginning when I get the Dvd root, that a pulldown will be performed because the video and audio? rates don't match, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. Also when I try to put the RAM at 256 or 128 like you say, it says the Ram is too high. Do you know the Miotis guide? It works perfect for me, but the audio is off from teh video. the mouths don't go with the words. If you know how to fix that better than what it's doing with yours, I'd appreciate it and use his. http://rip.corusa.com/
    Thanks!
    here it is and now I have the MUX to 35! from 1.4
    4 video underflows
    Try adjusting padding start or max to avoid
    or you can also increase the mux rate or video_bitrate.
    The resulting file may not play back correctly.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2003
  16. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Hi!
    for the Audio synchonisation problem uncheck the Audio/Video Synchronisation value at the input settings.
    Well after everything the MPEG that come out work?

17. portableb

portableb Member

oh god. now I can't get DVDx to even open up maximized?! this has never happened. everytime you open it, it'll open 3,4, etc. times minimized at the bottom, but won't open up, and won't let you right click on it! I tried the short cut, the main program, using ctl/alt/del and choosing new task, etc.! ug. maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall. ? but yes the mpgs come out fine with the underflows, but it doesn't come out the whole movie, it stops in the end.
    PS uninstalling it and downloading it and reinstalling it didn't work. what the heck is wrong?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2003
  18. portableb

portableb Member

ok, back in action. uninstalled it again, deleted everything, reinstalled, this time it worked. OK, I'm going to try your Dvdx guide and just split it and convert it to MPEG with TMPGEnc (like the best thing I ever found over the years) and see if it works. When I try with the VCD option in your guide, it cuts the very end of my movie off. I tried using 80 min, 74 min, 700 MB, and custom. Custom seemed to work the best cause the min option didn't start on the 2nd one where it left off. but still, no ending, got cut short. The other thing is it won't let me change the RAM to 256 (I have P4) or 128 or anything high. I have to leave it at 10. ?

19. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Hi again
    I haven't understand what kind of file you are trying to make? You mean to create uncompressed AVI and to convert to MPEG to make a VCD? I believe that while for DivX there are many progs, for VCD DVDx is the best. You can ask at the VCD category of this forum about your problem.
    Actually I have changed 3 PC with 3 different OS (Win98,2000,XP) and never had a problem with DVDx.
    You can have a look at the guides in this site.
    You can also look the AVI Splitting guide in my site, it should work for MPEG fine.

20. portableb

portableb Member

My questions were with Divx usuing DVDx (your preferred) which is why I'm in this forum. REread above. with the DVDx2.2 and your guide as well as others, I'm having problems with the mouths not going with the words and other things, which is why I FINALLY said I'd switch to trying to do the MPEG thing in which I had other problems.
    Thanks,