1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help out a Total newbie?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by chopsman, Jan 11, 2004.

1. chopsman

chopsman Guest

Hey guys/gals...I am a total newbie to DVD back up.I was wondering if you nice people could help me out with a few questions, before I take the plunge.
    Im not looking to do anything fancy I just want to back up movie only to DVD-R. I do want descent quality back ups though.(I havent even purchased a drive yet but I already posted that elsewhere.)
    1.Should I go with DVD Shrink 3.1?
    2.What software should I burn with.
    Can you reccommend any freeware burning programs?
    3.Or should I go all out on DVD X Copy Platinum?
    4.I have NTI CD/DVD creator platinum on my PC will this work.
    I have heard good and bad about almost every program on these forums, please share any experience with me.

2. BauerCTU

BauerCTU Guest

i have used DVD Shrink for quite a while now and found it fantastic and easy for beginners. prog i use for burning is Nero6. as for DVD X copy id stay away from it personally

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

chopsman,

In your order here we go, hang on the ride is short - - but it is sweet - ->

1. We have found some small issues with DVDShrink 3.1. We would like to see some video so we know better what we are doing but those who have experience with this program can work right through - for the "Newbie, I suggest DVDShrink 3.0 Beta 5 excellent program easy to use and the switch to 3.1 will be very easy when you are ready. Who really cares though, they are both free -

2. The Nero program offers just sooo much for the $$$ it's almost silly to go elsewhere, especially for the guy just starting out.

2.(a.) Burnatonce is free but Nero is worth the money.

3. No need to go there, they already have my money.
    Once you have Nero and move to DVDShrink 3.1 there is no worldly reason to buy DVD XCopy or Xpress.

4. My suggestion here - I say, (working with my best cartoon voice tonight) I say, now hear me son, I say DELETE it my boy, I say DELETE it !!! Ya got it all in Nero, the only thing you're a-missin' is the troubles -

By the bye, welcome to the DVD back'em up and head'em out Neighborhood ;-))

Pete

5. chopsman

chopsman Guest

Foghorn Leghorn...lol
    Yeah... I kinda got the impression that NTI CD/DVD Maker was worthless for DVDs.I have heard more good then bad about DVD Shrink. I have also heard alot of bad publicity about DVD -X-Copy Platinum(not to say its bad, because I have never used it myself)Heck its a pricey program for what you get. So I guess Nero and DVD Shrink is kinda in the lead over anything else, with me at this moment. Basically I just want descent video quality(doesnt have to be full dead on DVD perfect)I really dont need the extra features and interviews anyway...Thanks for the help Pete.

6. BauerCTU

BauerCTU Guest

if your not worried about special features and menu's then you can re-author a dvd with shrink so you have just the film. allowing all the space to be dedicated to the film. i personally take out commentary etc to allow a better backup. most of the time you could never tell that it is a back of an original. happy backing up

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, DVDShrink ver 3.11 now has most of the bugs fixed. Mine is now working like the 3.0 beta version. So give it a try. The auto burn back using Nero is a great improvement. Save a few steps and you don't have to worry about the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders anymore. It puts the files in the right place for you.
    Jerry