1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP PC Hates Me! Only Boots From Last Good Config + Shuts Down When Trying To Add New Hardware Etc.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Dominnica, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Dominnica

Dominnica Member

My computer was shut down almost normally 3 nights ago and when I turned it on the next day Windows doesn't load. I can't boot in safe mood or boot normally. It only allows me to boot in last good configuration. After it loaded up I did a system restore and went back about a month thinking it would help. Nope, still happening. Then I tried to use my printers but had problems, I got error messages and nothing works. I decided I would try add new hardware to see if that would get things working again. Instantly my pc would shut down. It also does it on some programs and when it shuts down normally, shut down boxes pop up and go away before I can write what they were down. I do know one was capp I believe. Please if anyone knows what it could be or can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated. The pc in question has everything I need on it and is my network gateway. Thanks in advance!
    ~Dominnica
    PS Using Windows XP

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  2. nonentty

nonentty Member

3. Dominnica

Dominnica Member

Well thank you for at least replying. I really appreciate that. I didn't get any replies from other sites. Good news though, I did some digging today (sadly living with the problem for so long)and found someone who got help off of another site.

The problem is AOL's spyware protection. I just uninstalled it and now my pc boots normally. Just have a few bugs left to fix and all should be well. Hopefully if anyone else runs into this problem you will all read this and if you need help I will be more than willing to do so.

~Dominnica