1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLAYING PAL GAMES ON NTSC TV!!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by vgaddict8, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Wow...

Did you just skip right over this post and ignore it? I know for a fact that the Viper GC Extreme supports video forcing, so how about actually checking the options menu and changing the video mode to NTSC like evlspcmk said 3 days ago...

Also, Freeloader is only meant for booting imports on an unmodified GC. Meaning, if you played a PAL game on an NTSC GC with an NTSC TV it still wouldn't work. However, with a modchip or softmod it's possible to force the video standard to NTSC, allowing it to display properly.

2. vgaddict8

vgaddict8 Guest

I am in the U.S. I tried chainging the Videomode in the Viper main menu to PAL and it still doesn't work. I am pretty sure my tv is NSTC, but I not sure how to check if it also supports pal or not. It's a 500 flat screen tv, so shouldn't it support pal? ozzyzak, I don't know too much about AIM, but I will try to set that up and send you a message.

3. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

The video mode is the one that you want the GC to output, meaning regardless of region you must change it to NTSC in order to output an NTSC signal. Changing it to PAL will cause it to output a PAL signal for ALL GAMES, not just PAL.

Basically, change it to NTSC and leave it that way.

And no, cost has nothing to do with whether or not a TV supports multiple regions. That's something you'd have to ask about prior to purchase since it's rare.

4. vgaddict8

vgaddict8 Guest

So you can't play pal gamecubes on the viper modchip unless you have a pal tv output? How come I don't see any japan gamecube games? Do japan gamecube games work fine on the viper modchip? How come I keep finding more and more reasons to be angry with the gamecube.........

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2006
  5. silver95

silver95 Regular member

Re-read what Venom said: Set the chip to NTSC and leave it that way. If possible, it will -force- an NTSC output. You have to expect that there isn't a 100% compatibility with it, so instead of being a retard and unable to figure out how to pirate games for the gamecube, try not looking for PAL games.

And there's plenty of JP games. They're also NTSC. Try doing some research, n00bl3t.

6. vgaddict8

vgaddict8 Guest

It's just kind of wierd how you can play xbox pal games on ntsc tv, but not on the gamecube.

7. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Gah, mah head hurts reading your posts...

Let's try a different approach.

YOU CAN PLAY PAL GAMES ON NTSC GAMECUBES ON NTSC TVS BY SETTING THE VIDEO MODE TO NTSC. What's so difficult to understand??

Also, Xbox handles the video mode without prompting the user as long as it has the default settings. That's why an NTSC Xbox will automatically output an NTSC signal regardless of whether the game is PAL or NTSC.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  8. vgaddict8

vgaddict8 Guest

"YOU CAN PLAY PAL GAMES ON NTSC GAMECUBES ON NTSC TVS BY SETTING THE VIDEO MODE TO NTSC"- My video mode for the viper modchip is set to NTSC and the screen still shakes and is black when I load the game.

9. vgaddict8

vgaddict8 Guest

ozzyzak, you are the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Brewgod23

Brewgod23 Regular member

I think it might be file you flashed the viper with. I flashed mine with Cobra 1.6 and I get scrolling and my friend uses the MDP with GSOC 1.5 and the same game works fine. I don't know if I should reflash my Viper with GCOS 1.5. I might lose the USB cabability if I do. I am not sure.

11. vgaddict8

vgaddict8 Guest

I am pretty my viper bios are not up to date. I flashed them last summer-I think they were version 1.4 or something like that. Does having the newer bio versions allow you to play pal games better?

12. silver95

silver95 Regular member

*headdesk* For the love of Tech, if you have a problem with ANY software, MAKE SURE TO UPDATE TO THE MOST RECENT VERSION!

This goes for ALL programs! Newer versions try to iron out old bugs.

13. Brewgod23

Brewgod23 Regular member

I am up to date on my BIOS and I still get scolling playing PAL games. I set my setting on the Viper-Extreme to NTSC and still I have scolling. I hate to flash it to GSOC 1.5 because I will lose the USB capability. I think.

14. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Either you guys are using the Viper chips wrong or the BIOS on it fails at video forcing...

Also, when you flash GCoS to it you aren't overwriting the Viper BIOS, you're flashing GCoS to it's onboard memory, which would ideally allow you to boot GCoS from the Viper GC Extreme's menu.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  15. Brewgod23

Brewgod23 Regular member

Thanks. That is what I wanted to know before I flashed it again. I don't want to loose my USB capability. I have read other people are having the same problem when forcing the Viper-Extreme to NTSC when you play a PAL backup. So I think it is a problem with the Cobra 1.6 BIOS.

16. PDAisAok

PDAisAok Member

I have a viper extreme chip with 1.6 bios also and when I try to load a PAL game (in this case RE4) it says I have 2 options for loading. Press A to load with Multi disc patch, but it says my GC lid is open. If I press B and do the direct load of the disc it loads the game, but loads in PAL, even though I've done forced NTSC in the Cobra bios. But if I press A and use the Multi disc patch, it goes to the Original Bios and says there isnt a disc loaded. Any ideas???

17. Brewgod23

Brewgod23 Regular member

I ran a test today, here are my results:

Game - Viewtiful Joe (PAL)
    GC - NTSC (US Version)
    Mod Chip - Viper-Extreme
    BIOS - Cobra 1.6
    Force to NTSC
    Result: I get scrolling even when I use auto detect (PAL/NTSC)

Flashed BIOS to GSOC 1.5
    Result: It scrolls if I use auto detect (PAL/NTSC). If I force to NTSC game plays perfectly.
    I tried to use the USB to backup game but the USB exectutible does not communicate. I loose the USB capability. The USB software requires Cobra 1.6.

I reflashed my Viper to Cobra 1.6 because the USB capability is much more important to me to backup my games.

Either GSOC BIOS comes up with a USB executible for the Viper or the Cobra BIOS fixes the Force to NTSC option will be the fix for this problem.

18. vgaddict8

vgaddict8 Guest

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

*eye twitches*

Auto detect is going to use whatever video standard the game uses by default. As in, if you play an NTSC game it's going to have an NTSC signal and if you play a PAL game it will always output a PAL signal. This means that Auto Detect was working properly.

PLEASE tell me you weren't expecting Auto Detect to load everything in NTSC because you have an NTSC GC. There should be an option that explicitly states that it will force it to NTSC or something like Video Mode (Game): NTSC.

How about telling us what options are available and what you can change them to. It doesn't seem like you guys know what the options mean, so I'd like to interpret them myself.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  20. Brewgod23

Brewgod23 Regular member

When using the Cobra 1.6 BIOS I switched to NTSC and selected Save and Exit. I powered doen the gamecube and powered back on. Now my GC will output all game to NTSC format. Still my video was scrolling when using Cobra 1.6. When using GSOC and forced the format to NTSC the game play perfectly.