1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help please MR dRD

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by flyparvaz, Nov 22, 2001.

1. flyparvaz

flyparvaz Member

I know this is simple and like piece of cake for u but i am just new member here please if u can help me . Is about VCD i did read some here but i explain what happened to me i have Nero and I did just as default as it was exept i did set to 4x for speed or writing and i used brand new cd and it was AVI file and i did let Nero encoding to mpeg file and as u know took longer time but the problem is when Nero did successfully wrote done in 4x . when i did try it in DVD player of my computer it didn,t run automat and also whe i open it it was just some files like this .CDI , EXT, MPEGAV,SEGMENT,VCD nothing else that i expected . not even media player inside then i could see something . for more information of me aske me please . i hope i didn,t waste your time . thanks

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

That is exactly what the CD should contain, it doesn't have anything else except the MPEGAV, SEGMENT, etc directories and one .DAT file inside MPEGAV directory.

VCDs are not meant to be auto-run CDs on PCs -- they're meant for stand-alone DVD players (you know, those that you connect to your TV). But sure, you can also play these movies with PC -- just open the .DAT file from MPEGAV directory with your Windows Media Player.

Really, don't use Nero for encoding, its quality sucks, use rather TMPGEnc as recommended in various posts and guides. Nero is an excellent tool for CD burning though.

The only reason for people to choose (S)VCDs over DivX movies is really the fact that regular stand-alone DVD players can play those discs and you don't need PC for that (and get better sound quality as most of us don't have studio-quality dolby digital soundcards anyway).

3. flyparvaz

flyparvaz Member

Thanks a lot MR dRD. if i have other question i will ask.

4. flyparvaz

flyparvaz Member

MR dRD

I was wondering after i did record it in cd like i explain can i see it in video cd player and also in dvd player . other question is i did try with mpeg2 with svcd as u know but when i tried with media player it didn,t open and i try to find out what is a problem and it was this. If the file you are playing is included in this table, then it may have been encoded using a codec that is not supported by Windows Media Player.

please if u know explain. thanks in advance.

5. dRD

VCD is MPEG-1 and can be played with most of the stand-alone VideoCD and DVD players and with all Windows versions.

But for MPEG-2 / SuperVCD playback on your PC, you need to have MPEG-2 codecs installed on your computer. One way to get these is to install WinDVD or similiar DVD player to your computer and use them (or Windows Media Player) for the playback after that.

6. flyparvaz

flyparvaz Member

Thanks for your answer that satand-alone cd player or stand-alone dvd player means that unit i mean cd player unit and dvd player unit . or what means exactly stand-alone?

thanks

7. dRD

I didn't quite understand what you meant. Anyway - stand-alone DVD player is one of those black things that you buy to your father for christmas present from your local hi-fi store that can be hooked to TV and has nothing to do with PC.

8. flyparvaz

flyparvaz Member

thanks dRD i underestood now but thats the first time i heard stand-alone but i got it is like video player or how do u called vcr like normal video , most homes they have it . anyway thanks . but tell me if i rent the cd movie in the video shop , can i see it in my computer?

of course i have dvd and cd-writer in my computer .
    and do u think i can copy the dvd cd to cd-r ?

thanks.

9. dRD

Yeah, DVD and VCD movies can be played with your computer.

And yes, you can copy the DVD to CD in VideoCD format by following guides available at our site or by downloading one of the rip packs like VCDGalaxy.

10. flyparvaz

flyparvaz Member

MR dRD can u explain more for copy dvd to cd normally when i copy cd with nero i go to cd copy and put the original to my dvd player and the empty city to my cd-r and start to write . is it the same way for copy dvd and that downloed u were talking about i don,t know where or what addresses i go . please any web site i have to go , guide me .
    thanks for your kindness and fast answer.

11. dRD

12. flyparvaz

flyparvaz Member

Thanks for your informing me i have other question . is that possible to make the picture from video when i am writing with nero make it better quality i mean i was recording some family movie from VHS video tape and i made it with TMPG.. as u told me and of course the quality is like the same as VHS that i did tape but i was recording from TV thats very good quality . and i was wondering maybe u know some way to make the not good quality to best quality or make it Digital quality or maybe i am completly dreaming to do this.

thanks .

13. dRD

You can't make video better than the original video (in this case, your VHS) is.

14. flyparvaz

flyparvaz Member

MR dRD

How can i make my pictures in cd like when u go to foto shop with film and they give u cd of your pictures. please explain me how can i make my pictures to cd nicely like photo shop. i did try alittle bit with recording on vcd but i can not open it and i was wondering maybe there is other way to make it better?????

thanks for your time.

15. flyparvaz

flyparvaz Member

MR dRD i didn,t get answer if is not possible please let me know.

thanks a lot.

16. ned1777

ned1777 Guest

hello, i am a new user and i have questions regarding recording onto vcd. i would like to record from a source, my vhs, to my pc and then to vcd. please help me get started. please letme know what i will need to begin - capture card, etc. thanks.

17. dRD

ned1777: Read this -- AND post further questions about capturing to own thread (start one), don't reply to this thread:

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/musicvideo_guide_part_1_capture.cfm

flyparvaz:

It is possible, I just don't remember exactly how. I think that you need to create images with full PAL or NTSC resolution (704x576 or 704x480) and use Nero to author a VideoCD that has still images with 10-20sec gap between them or something like that.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2001