1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please on the question about connections!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ostara, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Ostara

Ostara Guest

Hello,
    I am new at this website,and i have a question for you about internet connections and sharing with other computers.
    First of all,my mother is wanting to buy her a laptop for herself and have connection ran into it from mine.I have broadband cable internet connection btw,and i thought that i might could buy a wireless router and hook it up to my computer,and than buy a network card and hook it up to her laptop computer.
    Will this give her internet connection to her computer?Since i have the wireless router hooked up to my computer and my internet connection?Please help with this question.
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Your response is greatly appreciated!
    Blessed Be
    Ostara_Witch)O(

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the wireless router will connect to the modem then both your pc & her laptop connects the the router. her laptop if new or fairly recent in age should have a wireless netcard in it already.

3. Ostara

Ostara Guest

so if she was at her home,let's say for example,and i was at my home,
    than she could be able to connect to the internet through what she has on her computer if her computer was connected to my wireless router?I got kinda lost there for a sec on your post.Sorry....LOL But i am wanting her to be able to connect to the internet also with the laptop at her home and my computer at my home.
    Thanks
    Ostara_Witch)O(

4. ddp

how far apart are your 2 homes?

5. Ostara

Ostara Guest

I think maybe about 5 miles apart from each other to be exact.

6. ddp

then she has to get her own internet provider to connect to as 5 miles is to far away.

7. Ostara

Ostara Guest

OIC.Thank you so much for helping me.I really didn't know for sure if she could get internet access from my computer's cable connection.
    Thanks and Blessed Be
    Ostara