1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help please, what do i need?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by timbremat, Jun 1, 2007.

1. timbremat

timbremat Member

Hi all, new here please be gentle. I have a problem with my kids v9 ps2. Had a mod chip put in it, worked fine for a month then started getting disc read errors. Sent back to repairer and after 5 weeks got it back with another laser fitted. Worked fine for about 6 weeks and same thing happened. Question is what should i do, replace the laser again or give up on it and buy a brand new slim version. I am leaning towards the new one as i would also like to fit a hard drive and it is getting hard / expensive to get the v9 adaptor. What are the flip top covers and swap magic discs like? Are they as good as a mod chip? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Ron.

2. foolios

foolios Member

If your still going to get a lot of use out of it. I would suggest getting the new slimline with a modchip. I have been using swapdiscs and I can tell you the time I waste trying to get some backups to work causes you to lose more time than if you were to just do an extra side job to pay for the premoded ps2. I should have done more research and just waited until I had the money to do so myself. I am actually saving money to get mine fitted with a modchip hopefully in the near future. If you just want something to work and no hassles, get the premod. If you like spending hours possibly frustrated and making coasters for your guests, plus have plenty of time on your hands to learn; get a ps2 then buy the magic keys and swap magic set.
    I would suggest scrapping the option of getting that old unit fixed again....

Good Luck!

3. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  4. steimy

steimy Active member

yes, and make sure you spend the money and get a good mod chip as well. If you are in the USA Teammodders.com sells new, refurbished and used systems premodded. Crystal Chip V2.0 or Matrix Infinity Green Dot would be two top chips.

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

I suggest either getting a modchip or setup an HDD for your PS2 given your situation. Even though I'm content with using Swap Magic at the moment with my silver, slim PS2, I have an old dying fat PS2 wasting away so I wish to salvage my old gen PS2; hence, why I've decided to either go for an HDD or mod-chip for sheer convenience. The only reason why I still like Swap Magic is because I don't think it's that difficult to rebuild games depending on what particular game you're trying to get working (Star Ocean 3 was a major hassle before though). My fat PS2 will never be leaving the house so basically it's my home entertainment system while my silm PS2 is a portable system I can simply take on the go if I feel like it.

And I will say this too like many have said. The investment in a good mod-chip can go a long ways and leaves out all the hassles you might find in using Swap Magic and rebuilding specific games for Swap Magic. An HDD has gotten me very intrigued due to the prospect of playing with nearly eliminated/shortened loading times for some games, but I only want to do this for the games I bet I will be playing through numerous times i.e. Star Ocean 3, Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, Tales of the Abyss perhaps, and definitely Tales of Destiny (remake).

6. timbremat

timbremat Member

Thanks for all your help. Cheers.

7. flanker22

flanker22 Member

your kids are spoiled give them a cup and ball game.